Have any of you skipped the dining room altogether?

AidenandCasensMommy

Funny, seems like half the people are raving about the "entertainment" - the other half find it obnoxious. I'm in the "I can't stand it" crowd. I'd rather the wait staff focus on serving customers and acting professional. And I feel uncomfortable as they are paraded around the dining room like court jesters. It's awful. I put up with it though as I generally like the MDR.

If you have a background in health and/or food service, it can seem UNSANITARY! They're flinging around those dirty wigs & things. Sometimes they drop them on the floor or a table. And they don't always seem to wash their hands before resuming service after the performance.

We are seriously considering forgoing the dining room on our upcoming trip. We just want to relax & possibly not dress up at all. I'm not sure yet if we will. I don't know what other food options there are on the Triumph. It doesn't look like they have a buffet style dining area anywhere.

I have not read yet the replies, but to your post, I say, that I was leaning toward this because I was tired of the old dining room menus. Then my recent cruise ship switched over to the American Table menu, so I was drawn back to to the dining room for dinner, and am so glad that I went. I went to the dining room 4 out of 6 nights of the cruise, and enjoyed every meal.

As for the dressing up, Carnival has one of the most relaxed dress codes, and even on cruise elegant night, it is really not all that dressed up, unless you want to.

Triumph like all Carnival ships, does have a buffet open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, just in case you decide to avoid the dining room. I hope though that you reconsider avoiding the dining room, as you will get better food, as well as table service, as opposed to getting your own at the buffet. JMO, though, and only you can decide what works for you.

It's pizza and deli for me every night. I can eat in 30 minutes or less. I no longer enjoy sitting in the MDR 90+ minutes, most of that time waiting for someone to bring me something. Frees up a whole hour for shows, music, or other entertainment.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hate the MDR for dinner. We usually go once, to make sure we're really not missing out on something. Nope, we're not. Service IS obnoxious, it does take too long and the food is no better. On a sea day we might go once for breakfast for a change, but even then, we wonder why we bothered. It's entertainment for some and a waste of time where you could be outside relaxing for others I guess.

If you have a background in health and/or food service, it can seem UNSANITARY! They're flinging around those dirty wigs & things. Sometimes they drop them on the floor or a table. And they don't always seem to wash their hands before resuming service after the performance.

I hope you realize how nasty buffets can be as far as being sanitary.

From the Carnival website:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts

Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops

Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Jeans are NOT acceptable for Elegant Evenings in the MDR

Do not confuse "policy" with "reality." Carnival does not enforce it.

I am a bit surprised with some of the responses...the MDR is the best "free" food on the ship, and is better than many other cruise lines (your taste may vary). The only time we miss it is if we are going to the steakhouse, or in very rare circumstances where we have a late excursion. Yes it takes a while, but I'm on vacation and not in that much of a hurry :)

We find the MDR to be much more relaxing than the buffet, especially with fixed dining. No lines, no juggling plates, no searching for a seat - just enjoy your food and have someone else do all the work. There is little need to "dress up" nowadays. Men can wear shorts and a polo on regular nights and long pants and a button-down on elegant nights. Woman can wear casual capris, a sundress, etc regular nights and go just a it more dressy on elegant nights.

I have a special diet, so the MDR is basically mandatory for me, I can find things at the buffet sometimes. I don't know if American Table will fit my diet, so we'll see, I have heard the buffet is better at outlining ingredients so I'm hopeful it will be better this time.

Last time I was just below the Lido so it was easier, this time I'll be on Deck 2 so the trek to the Lido is less appealing this time.

Edited by Omnivore

Well I'm not going to show up in sweats but capris, a nice blouse and my dressy flops look better than some outfits I've seen in there and I'm comfy. At least I'm covered. I'm stunned at the daisy dukes, midriff tops and lack of hygiene I see.

I do like to try to show up to dinner in the MDR.

One cruise we never did go to the dining room. It was a 3-night girls cruise. We were there for the sun, fun & booze more than dining experience. It was not a 2.0 ship so we did Lido, pizza & deli. For 3 nights it was fine. Usually we mix it up and do a couple nights MDR & a couple elsewhere. My first cruise was the only time I went to the MDR every night.

You'll definitely have options on Triumph. There's certainly a Lido buffet plus Guys, Blue Iguana (limited hours), pizza, deli & probably more.

Edited by Drose716

We have in the past. I don't see the allure of a noisy dining room. Table behind us was throwing dinner rolls to a fellow table. The classiness of yesteryear is just that. So save on luggage space and spare the drawn out ritual. Serve yourself and get done in a flash.

33 Carnival cruises (the last being in July) and I've never experienced any of that. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone

Yep, we've skipped the MDR during an entire cruise or two. We usually go at least a couple of nights per cruise, but missing it isn't that big of a deal to us. I'm good either way. Most days we look at the menu at some point during the day, then decide if we think it's worth the effort. By effort, I mean that we are part of the old school crowd that showers and wears clean clothes that meet the dress guidelines. If the menu isn't all that appealing, we take the easy route and go to Lido for dinner.

Edited by Towel Critter

It has been years since we've dined in the MDR for anything other than breakfast or brunch. Like others have mentioned, it just takes to long and we would rather be doing other things with our time. The last few cruises we've talked about making it to the MDR for dinner but we didn't actually go.

We do go to the steakhouse once or twice each cruise, and when we have been on the Sunshine we've eaten at JiJi's several times (I could eat there every night).

My last cruise, the boyfriend and I ate at the MDR every night and most days for breakfast- the only times we ate at the buffet was for lunch. We loved the MDR- different tablemates every night made things interesting. We met some lovely (and not so lovely) people. We got away with wearing jeans even on the formal nights- just dressed them up with a nice top and some heels (for me).

I wouldn't skip the MDR- love the experience!

I skip it all the time. I usually go to the MDR once or twice on a cruise. Usually because I know that's the night I really like something there. I enjoy going to the lido buffet as I bring the food to my balcony and enjoy eating while listening to the water. I also dislike the swinging of napkins in the MDR too.

On my upcoming Eastern Med cruise on Celebrity I will go to the MDR more often to experience the food they offer. I will also go to there buffet as they have a grill where chefs will grill you meat and other chefs prefer fresh pasta which I will want to try. I guess it will depend on how busy my 14 hour port days will be to and if I end up eating dinner in port or not.

But to the original question, yes I skip it more often than not.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

We are seriously considering forgoing the dining room on our upcoming trip. We just want to relax & possibly not dress up at all. I'm not sure yet if we will. I don't know what other food options there are on the Triumph. It doesn't look like they have a buffet style dining area anywhere.

There is always a buffet.

I eat all of my meals in MDR only meals outside of that our first meal for lunch on board and last breakfast on ship departure and that is only if the MDR is definitely closed. I want service, cleanliness and better food which I think you get. I have never had one instance of being sick from food or norovirus in 14 cruise and I think it's part of it. The buffet area is a breeding ground for germs. And yes I do worry about germs.... Lol

On our first cruise we were assigned early dining and it was just too early for us to eat. We missed every evening because I didn't know you could ask on first night to be reassigned. I still dressed up every night for dinner because I love doing it and since I'm a stay at home mom I never get to. Our last cruise we had late dining and I'm so glad I got to go to a few dinners. Didn't make it on elegant night because my husband didn't feel his clothes were adequate for elegant night. I wish he owned a really nice suit, as I love a good tailered suit, but alas he's a good old country boy and I don't see him spending the money on a cruise suit lol

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

We've not personally done that, enjoying the MDR for most nights. But we have friends who NEVER go to the MDR. They enjoy all of the optional venues, the buffet, Guy's, Tandoor, etc as they are available on various ships.

They love dressing casually and just going to eat as they feel up to it. It works for them!

I am just like your friends.

I am on holiday,

I want to dress as I please.

i want to eat when I please

On our first cruise we were assigned early dining and it was just too early for us to eat. We missed every evening because I didn't know you could ask on first night to be reassigned. I still dressed up every night for dinner because I love doing it and since I'm a stay at home mom I never get to. Our last cruise we had late dining and I'm so glad I got to go to a few dinners. Didn't make it on elegant night because my husband didn't feel his clothes were adequate for elegant night. I wish he owned a really nice suit, as I love a good tailered suit, but alas he's a good old country boy and I don't see him spending the money on a cruise suit lol

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I'm sorry that your husband felt this way. My DH does wear a suit and tie on elegant night, but as long as you are dressed according to the Carnival dress code, which simply says slacks and a shirt, you should be absolutely fine and not made to feel inadequate!

We went on our first cruise this past summer. We did the buffet, Guy's and pizza four out of the five nights. The last night of the cruise we decided to hit the MDR. My DH and son put on the best casual as we were told were required! We stood in line behind a group of about 10 in shorts, tshirts and flip flops!!! Oh well! The waiter told us we were lucky because they were fixing to start the entertainment!! It was cute but we could have missed it and not missed anything, lol!! Now, I personally found the food less than appealing. Our waiter made us feel like we were an imposition and we were rushed to give him our order so maybe I just chose the wrong thing?

My family said that they most likely would stick with the buffet from now on, lol!!!

I never go to the MDR simply because I want to relax and not spend several hours in a dining room.I've never gone hungry on a cruise...between the buffet, the deli, the pizza and the other dining options, you won't have any problem finding food! And there definitely is a buffet on the Triumph...it's on the Lido deck at the back of the ship.

Edited by h_blond2

The food in the dining room is not "higher" dining, it's is still the same food as the buffet food, it is not made to order. Do you really think they have time serve hundreds of people a night in that short of time frame on made to order dinners? It's made up ahead of time and sits out on plates in the kitchen ready to go. You aren't fine dining in the buffet or the dining room, you are mass dining, don't fool yourself into believe anything different.