Are they still doing the top 10 silly questions asked onboard cruise ship[e

mcatmcat

We met a couple once who thought that every night in the MDR was a fee. They ate all their meals in the Windjammer for half the cruise! :confused:

And they're apparently still trying to find out if there's a fee for the MDR by posting the question here the past few days. :rolleyes:

Edited by ramja96

As an aside, the most common question asked at Disney World Magic Kingdom is:

'What Time is the 3 PM parade?'

What the person is asking is not the time, but what time it comes through this location, and where should I stand.

And this one is a real kicker, think about a map or a world globe. When we were on our South American cruise, a passenger actually asked if the ship could stop on the equator so she could get off the ship and have her picture taken with the BLUE LINE! :confused::D

True story, now wipe the coffee/drink that you spewed out all over your computer:eek:

Did you tell them?

We met a couple once who thought that every night in the MDR was a fee. They ate all their meals in the Windjammer for half the cruise! :confused:

Must have been my in-laws! They came home from their first (and only) cruise and complained how they "had" to eat in the windjammer for every meal. I asked what they meant by "had" and they proceed to tell me they assumed a charge since it was a restaurant. They didn't go to shows or any activity as they assumed a charge. They had a miserable cruise and swore them off!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just did a Carnival cruise (sorry Royal) and we met an older couple on Formal night (on Carnival that seems to mean no holes in your jeans). They admired our formal wear but said they were passing up dinner that night because they didn't want to pay extra - obviously thought formal meant an extra charge, so some dumb questions are real.

Perhaps they meant they didn't want to pay extra to buy formal attire.

Did you tell them?

Last night of a 4 night back in Feb, my wife met a couple who said they had tired of eating in buffets every day. When she asked why they had not been to the MDR, they too thought it was extra.

Sorry but your ignorance is showing, badly.

You do know that you can climb longer than 5 minutes, right? You do know that climbing is a real sport that some people enjoy, right? You do know the vast majority of people who rock/sport climb own their own equipment and at real gyms use their own equipment exclusively, right? I hope you can understand that most people trust/like their own equipment that they personally inspect and care for more than random equipment they know nothing about.

Just because you are ignorant of a sport, doesn't mean it is a dumb question. People bring their own gear for snorkeling, diving, flow riding, ice skating, etc. My climbing gear takes up about as much space as a couple pairs of pants and weight less, so it isn't like it is hassle to take it with you somewhere.

Also if you noticed, every person in that thread that knew anything about rock climbing recommended bringing some of your own gear.

Considering I've climbed at at least ten different gyms, including at huge corporations (Life Time Fitness), Universities and many different climbing focused gyms and every single one of them recommends buying and using your own equipment I don't think it is that bad of a question.

Agreed, if people have their own stuff, it makes sense they want to use it.

Sure, it's there as a convenience to the many who don't as they just do it casually (so who wants to buy it for 1 cruise), but if you have it already and want to use it, why not? Same thing with bowling shoes and balls, as with your other examples. You can borrow it if just occasional, but those who do it regularly like to use their own equipment, where the size is right and they're happy with the condition.

It's an insurance issue. If you got hurt using your own stuff, that would been a major liability.

Nope. There's no problem using your own ice skates onboard. And as mentioned above, others with the rock climbing use their own as well.

In any case, even if that were true and it was due to that, that wouldn't have been the 'silly' question that was being portrayed.

Remember years ago when as well as the silly questions the cruise director's staff used to also do the song "If I were not upon the sea."

Sue :)

Yes, and we miss that too. They usually did that on the last night and by that time you knew the staff/crew/officers which really made it funny!:)

Good memory.

Must have been my in-laws! They came home from their first (and only) cruise and complained how they "had" to eat in the windjammer for every meal. I asked what they meant by "had" and they proceed to tell me they assumed a charge since it was a restaurant. They didn't go to shows or any activity as they assumed a charge. They had a miserable cruise and swore them off!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My in-laws have been on two company paid cruises. Neither time did they eat anywhere but the buffet, and they spent most of their time watching television in their stateroom.

Then they complained.

Well, here's another perspective.

Some things that seem obvious to longtime cruisers simply may not be to people who are first-timers. A lot of us have the luxury to cruise often or simply travel a lot but some people are lucky to take one or two trips in a lifetime and could be simply overwhelmed at the amount of things to consider ahead of time. Sneering at people who don't realize the MDR is free or mocking someone who wants to know if they can bring their own rock-climbing gear does nothing but make cruisers as a whole look unfriendly.

I've lurked here a long time and always feel bad for people who begin their questions with "I'm sorry if I shouldn't post this here" or "I'm sorry if this is a dumb question." Who can blame them, though? If I didn't know cruisers are a generally friendly bunch, I'd be afraid they're as unwelcoming as some of the commenters on here and think twice about booking at all.

People bring their own gear for snorkeling, diving, flow riding, ice skating, etc.

Exactly. If my son had his own rock climbing shoes I'm sure he would bring them. They are just more comfy than dealing with random shoes.

As an aside, the most common question asked at Disney World Magic Kingdom is:

'What Time is the 3 PM parade?'

What the person is asking is not the time, but what time it comes through this location, and where should I stand.

And that, of course, is a totally bonafide, excellent question, and any CM who has worked there longer than a day KNOWS what the guest means and can answer it without making fun of it. :)

It's an insurance issue. If you got hurt using your own stuff, that would been a major liability.

Not shoes. Harness, yes, but not shoes.

And a true one from the past, " Can I bring my own gun for the skeet shoot?"

I found out from the coverage of the recent Olympics that those guns can cost upwards of 25K! If I had my own gun for that I would want to bring it, too! (if they still did skeet shooting from ships, of course)