booking excursions on shore

It really depends on the ports visited sometimes it's easy to arrange local tours once you go ashore at other ports it can be more prudent to do ship tours.

If you can give us an idea of the itinerary you are looking at we will be able to comment further.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Private excursions can be extremely beneficial and cost effective. IT can be very hit and miss as to whether or not a particular company is as good as its website but one should do ones diligence using places like Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor for comments and if in any doubt ask questions about issues that are of concern. WE use private operators as often as possible if for no other reason than they are often 50% cheaper than a ships excursion and on occasions are the same company such are ships mark ups. The one provisio about using private operators is that you need to ensure you are back before the ship sails because they wont wait for you. If your excursion is really tight think again before going on it, the cost of missing the ship could be greater than a ships excursion. Most private operators who regularly service cruise ships know the rules

Most ports there will be tours on offer.

Normally good savings.

I guess the potential con is that you know nothing about the operator.

We don't do many tours now, but would rather do our homework and pre book rather than just hope for the best.

We normally take local tours.

However sometimes it is worthwhile booking a ships tour.

If it is a tender port a long distance from shore say Port Denarau by booking a early ships tour you will be off first and enjoy a full day in port.

Also a port you may not be familiar with or a port not regularly visited.

Or when you want to visit something a long trip from the port as others have said the ship will wait for you.

Where are you going to you want help with a port?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As mentioned the pros and cons are many and varied and can actually be different for many people.

Private excursions often have an advantage due to the numbers on the tour, however, this does erode any savings compared to the bus load on the Ship excursion.

Appreciate all the helpful tips.

Here are some details. The ports will be Sydney, Melbourne, Dunedin, Akaroa, Wellington, and Tauranga. Only Akaroa will be a tender port.

In Tauranga there will be tours available in the Information tent as you leave the wharf. In Akaroa there will be a couple of tours available when you go ashore. In Sydney, Melbourne, Dunedin and Wellington I think you would be better to research on the internet and pre-book or make plans to get around by public transport (Sydney & Melbourne). I cannot recall seeing tours being offered when you go ashore in these ports.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi shipsealand,

Just an FYI, there is a very active Roll Call for our cruise, currently up to 79! I didn't see your Cruise Critic name on the list ... check it out and join in the fun.

Look for January 12 thread under Solstice-

Sharon

Ships excursions are only good where the ship is in a port where the major city is a great distance from the port. It guarantees you will not miss the ship if you book a tour.

I try to avoid booking with private tour operators unless it is a country like Russia where you have to if you visit St. Petersburg.

Cruising in Australia I will tour on my own and try to walk as much as I can.

When I cruise in Japan because I can speak the language I am able to see all of the sights of the ships shore excursions combined in one day by doing it on my own and using their transport system.

My only grip with shore excursions from the ship is excessive times allocated for lunch breaks and high end shops.