RCL CEO Bayley Q&A on Allure President's Cruise

Nado44

Again, a partial run, not a full run. From one end to the other.

We know...the point was that a 14-15 day cruise is not required to experience the canal...and these cruises are typically booked full.

In addition (and contrary to claims by Bagley), this would not be a major deviation from the area already served by Royal Caribbean.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

Well, 6 is just them building different classes of ship.

For 1, 2 & 7, I think it's really a matter of they feel they get better use of their resources elsewhere. They have a much bigger international presence then NCL or Carnival, so they have been putting their ships overseas more and more. That leaves them with covering the Caribbean and the homeports they're using with remaining ships. They've decided they will do better with their ships in other places, that's all it comes down to.

Yep---RCI is choosing to compete in Europe, Mid East, China and Australia instead of focusing so eclusively on American market share---perosnally I think that makes them a stronger overall company and I would be more likely to buy their stock given that.

We sail them in Europe, often shoulder season, and it is not unheard of for the US to not even make the top 10 of passengers---and uncommon to be in the top 5 on these sailings. Many of those nationalities are also mroe likely to make a trip across the US soil for a caribbean sailing than for a Mexican Riviera sailing.

Having a large base of British, German, Swedish, Spanish, Italian, Brazillian, South Ameircan, Indian, etc passengers is not such a bad thing for the bottom line.

Edited by NHDisneylover

Most people get two weeks vacation. I was working at the same place before and after I went through the canal.

Princess used to offer full transits in ten days starting or ending in Acapulco. I forget where the other end of the cruise was, might have been San Juan.

Most people IN THE USA. Most of Germany gets 6 weeks and taking 3-4 in one chunk each year is fairly typical.

Much of Europe is similar from what I understand

Most people IN THE USA. Most of Germany gets 6 weeks and taking 3-4 in one chunk each year is fairly typical.

5-6 week vaxation is standard in most European countries. Two weeks is minimum in the US but not average as it increases with years of services and there are more public holidays on working days than in Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Two week vacations are common, but every company I have worked for required executive management to approve use of more than 10 working days, consecutive. All pass through cruises I have seen, are minimum 13 nights and are one way. Consider that a full canal trip starts and ends at a different port, East to West and then West to East, adds travel days. People that are partners or owners in a business, continue to have expenses while they are out, but are not making an real income.

We often heard a saying, if we can afford to let you go for more than two weeks, we can afford to let you go. Everyone has different types of jobs. Some have more accountability than others.

Most of the cruise lines we looked at, seem to make the full pass through twice a year, from Port A to Port B with ports of call in between, and then a cruise back from Port B to Port A. Why wouldn't they run these cruises year round if their was so many wanting. HAL is one of the biggest to run Canal trips. Wonder why??

Edited by troykahack

5-6 week vaxation is standard in most European countries. Two weeks is minimum in the US but not average as it increases with years of services and there are more public holidays on working days than in Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hmmm, I am American as is my husband. My sister and brother in law finally got two weeks this year---they are both 50. Two weeks is NOT minimum in the US. They is no legal minimum whatsoever in the USA. Yes, better careers and better employers usually start out with 2 weeks and it is fairly common to work up to 4 weeks (DH did that early on) but it is still no the norm for many, many people.

While upper middle class folks in the US DO tend to have those more holidays----I am not sure you can say it is not common or average to have only two weeks paid vacation time when looking at all full time US employees, given that many start with no time off or only one week for several years and that factors in too---I'll have to do some googling.

Meanwhile, in Germany 4 is legally required from day one on the job, and nearly everyone in all fields gets 6.

Germany has 10 paid holidays per year (again, legally days off ecept in a few professions--not like in the US where no compans is legally required to close for any particular holiday), 12 in a couple of states (we live in one of those)----it is true that if those fall on a weekend you just don't get them--but many are always on a certain day of the week--in a bad year you might lose 4 days to that. On the other hand, most higher level professions (anyhting that would be likely to have 4 weeks or more paid vacation in the US, if you want to compare apples to apples) also get "bridge days" which means if a holiday falls on Tuesday or Thursday you get the monday before or Friday after off as well---this easily makes up for the missed days off that fall on weekends.

Much of the rest of europe is similar (based on what we see in EU discussions and DH sees when schdeuling work in plants across the continent)

My point was that the poster who was saying most people cannot take a longer vacation, was working from the perspective of a society in which there is no required annual paid leave, and many fields do not customarily provide mroe than a couple of weeks off----which does not take into account the large number of other countries in which large blocks of time off are not only customary but even required by law---and RCI markets heavily in at least some of those countries. That said, I do not think Panama Canal cruises tend to be huge draws for Europeans.

Edited to add---here is hte first non biased source i can find about average paid vacation days in the Us. It is a bit dated---but shows that even after 25 years most people only have 8 paid public holidays and 3 weeks vacation:

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/ebs.t05.htm

Edited by NHDisneylover

Regarding Panama Canal cruises, I guess things have changed. My second cruise ever in 2005 was on Serenade of the Seas, 14 days, from San Juan to San Diego, full canal transit. Very interesting, although I found the extremely hot/humid Panama part a little boring and uncomfortable. But they did it in the past, they still have the Radiance class ships. Even Freedom class ships might fit. Really no excuses. I just used 2 weeks of my 5 weeks of vacation for this cruise, didn't hurt a bit.

Regarding Panama Canal cruises, I guess things have changed. My second cruise ever in 2005 was on Serenade of the Seas, 14 days, from San Juan to San Diego, full canal transit. Very interesting, although I found the extremely hot/humid Panama part a little boring and uncomfortable. But they did it in the past, they still have the Radiance class ships. Even Freedom class ships might fit. Really no excuses. I just used 2 weeks of my 5 weeks of vacation for this cruise, didn't hurt a bit.

Thanks for that report. Yeah...we actually had tentative plans for a February timeframe cruise next year (when the weather is not so steamy hot). We pushed those plans into 2018, with the tiny hope Royal would wake up and see the value of competing there.

right here. and plenty of our friends do it, too. some (like us) actually save up vacation days and then really take a month off. many others work from the road, or from a cruise now that ship internet is fast enough on many vessels.

DH and i are mid-40s with full-time jobs. in the last 10 years we have done three long trips - one for a month, one for 6 weeks, and one for almost 8 weeks. we arranged it with our employer, and worked our tails off before and after to make up for the lost time. it was totally worth it.

next fall, we are in fact doing a PC. we gave up on holding out for royal and instead are doing it on disney. had royal been available, they would have been our first choice. between travel time and hopefully going to disneyland before, we will again be gone 3-4 weeks.

so, count me in with the people who would have been pleased if royal went back to PC cruises. and i've shown you a working couple who pretty regularly take a month or so off.

I only do Panama Canal cruises on NCL because NCL has ships with forward facing balconies ...

That is me, bottom row, third from the port side ...

1-JadeinPCI.jpg

1-JadeinPCII.jpg

pidd-friendsenjoyingtheview_zps26d08748.jpg

DSCN2717s.jpg

IMG_3277.jpg

IMG_3280.jpg

So then, there are plenty of people who have the time to take longer cruises.

I had four weeks of vacation before I changed jobs.

I sailed the Panama Canal on the Celebrity Constellation. We did a transit from west to east. we picked up the pilot and someone that narrated the transit early in the am. [6-7am or so] We made it to Colon on the other end of the canal around 6pm and had a 3 hr port stop. So, it was around 11 hours for us. . . . no way near 30 hrs.

Also, I was still working at the time. [sailed over Easter, so saved a couple of days vacation] San Diego to Miami, 14 days

PS --I think the west to east is the best route. There are 2 locks on the Pacific side [old canal]. It is very interesting to watch this process in both locks. By the time we got to the Atlantic side [1 lock] I was less interested going outside to view this. It was VERY hot and humid. We spent the afternoon in the top lounge [do not remember name] listening to the commentary and having a chill time with a 360 view and a cocktail.

I was on this same cruise Easter 2010! It was one of our favorites ever.