RCL CEO Bayley Q&A on Allure President's Cruise

Nado44

Did you already post the link on a new separate thread here? I would think you would get a lot of people signing it if you did....

Great idea, thanks. Now to think up a witty title.

FWIW, only 25% of those that click on the link ending up signing it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Great idea, thanks. Now to think up a witty title.

FWIW, only 25% of those that click on the link ending up signing it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Probably because many don't want to give out personal info, but I still think you'll easily reach the #. I will be one of them! I'm from So. Cal and really miss Mariner!

So then, there are plenty of people who have the time to take longer cruises.

I had four weeks of vacation before I changed jobs.

Exactly--yes, there are--and RCI seems to do well marketing in many locations, and just focusing on the US with a bit of Canada and UK the way some other lines do

(now, MY dream would be for them to leave a couple of ships in Europe through the winter . . . sigh)

Exactly--yes, there are--and RCI seems to do well marketing in many locations, and just focusing on the US with a bit of Canada and UK the way some other lines do

(now, MY dream would be for them to leave a couple of ships in Europe through the winter . . . sigh)

Just curious, where would they homeport and where would they go to?

Just curious, where would they homeport and where would they go to?

All sorts of possiblities. Most of the ships which do winter here either leave out of Italy or Spain and head a bit south (canaries, Malta ) or into Greece, though some do mostly a standard Western med route.

In my ideal world we'd head out of Barcelona, have a chilly sea day and hten hit southern Spain, maybe Malta or Morrocco, and back up again. But I am flexible--just give me a ship.

In the meantime, we were pretty impressed with MSC and they match our staus, so we'll probably take a winter cruise every year on them.

Edited by NHDisneylover

Yep---RCI is choosing to compete in Europe, Mid East, China and Australia instead of focusing so eclusively on American market share---perosnally I think that makes them a stronger overall company and I would be more likely to buy their stock given that.

We sail them in Europe, often shoulder season, and it is not unheard of for the US to not even make the top 10 of passengers---and uncommon to be in the top 5 on these sailings. Many of those nationalities are also mroe likely to make a trip across the US soil for a caribbean sailing than for a Mexican Riviera sailing.

Having a large base of British, German, Swedish, Spanish, Italian, Brazillian, South Ameircan, Indian, etc passengers is not such a bad thing for the bottom line.

Yes, there are more then enough places in the world. This is the locations RCCL has decided to compete on (and overall doing fairly well with it). They were in California for awhile, and they didn't make enough money so they went elsewhere and sent ships overseas. They now have at least 2-3 ships over in the Asia market depending on the time, a few ships in Europe, and then the "big boys" doing their 7-night Caribbean runs. I would say a partial transit of the Canal would be an interesting add-on, but they've decided they don't want to raise the fares enough (or pull ships away from other things) to warrant it at this point.

PS I like your blog, will have to read more of it :)

Probably because many don't want to give out personal info, but I still think you'll easily reach the #. I will be one of them! I'm from So. Cal and really miss Mariner!

We signed up. Really miss Mariner as well. Went three times while she was here. Since Mariner left we tried Carnival and went back to Royal. Did the Cal. Coastal on Jewel last year to show support for RC out of California. This year we are back to Galveston and next year we are on Oasis from PC. 2018 we may book a Princess cruise from SF or LA. 10 day Mexico from SF with no flying or hotel sounds very attractive.;)

• 2 weeks later...
It takes at least 30 hours to navigate the canal, and delays are common, so figure in at least two full days to navigate the canal in its entirety.

Trips though the entire canal are more attractive to the clientele of HAL as they are all generally retired. Cruises 15-18 days are not attractive for Royal, if you did a B2B for Canal, it would be a month... show me a working couple who could get off a month?

We've done the canal three times. From the time you enter to the time you exit is less than 12 hours. With their $250,000 payment, they get a scheduled slot to begin the crossing. In the three times we did it, we were never more than an hour late entering the canal. When you get close to the entrance, mainly on the Pacific side, you'll see many ships waiting to go through. As they have no reservation, they might sit there a couple days waiting, depending on how many ships are in front of them. It's still cheaper for them than having to sail around South America. With the new canals, maybe the other ships will not have to wait so long.

We've done the canal three times. From the time you enter to the time you exit is less than 12 hours. With their $250,000 payment, they get a scheduled slot to begin the crossing. In the three times we did it, we were never more than an hour late entering the canal. When you get close to the entrance, mainly on the Pacific side, you'll see many ships waiting to go through. As they have no reservation, they might sit there a couple days waiting, depending on how many ships are in front of them. It's still cheaper for them than having to sail around South America. With the new canals, maybe the other ships will not have to wait so long.

Guilty by Google.... that was an average time I guess.... looks like Cruise ships get a bump.

Guilty by Google.... that was an average time I guess.... looks like Cruise ships get a bump.

It's my understanding, from our partial crossing, that cruise ships pay a premium to get an earlier entry to the canal.

It's my understanding, from our partial crossing, that cruise ships pay a premium to get an earlier entry to the canal.

The cruise ships pay extra to get a premium time slot. But the cruise lines pass that cost onto the passengers, the cruise line does not eat the extra charge. So the CEO's reference to the cost is a bunch of BS.

The cruise ships pay extra to get a premium time slot. But the cruise lines pass that cost onto the passengers, the cruise line does not eat the extra charge. So the CEO's reference to the cost is a bunch of BS.

That's exactly why our PHS cost more than normal. ;)

Thank you for taking the time to share the information you received. Enjoy your cruise.

4. $200 million terminal investment in Miami will be home to an Oasis class ship.

No mention of which one or when...maybe with Oasis moving to Port Canaveral...and Harmony coming in November...they will do this once the 4th Oasis class ship is completed?

At the Captain's Corner the last day he mentioned Oasis 4 starting in Europe summer 2018 and then repositioning to Florida. I was thinking the new Miami terminal.