Helmets available for ice skating?

We will be on Liberty of The Seas in November. My kids (8 and 5)are really excited to try ice skating (something they've never done). My thoughts are that a concussion on vacation (and on a ship no less) would be less than desirable. Does anyone know if they offer helmets for kids or should we bring our own? Thanks.

We will be on Liberty of The Seas in November. My kids (8 and 5)are really excited to try ice skating (something they've never done). My thoughts are that a concussion on vacation (and on a ship no less) would be less than desirable. Does anyone know if they offer helmets for kids or should we bring our own? Thanks.

Helmets are available and required. Long pants are required too, but not provided.

If your children have no experience ice skating, I would be less worried about a concussion and more worried about a broken bone. Having fallen more times than I can count while ice skating, I have almost never hit my head. However, I have broken my arm and torn my adductor muscle, and know many people who have broken arms and ankles.

That being said, my friends and I were wishing that the rink was a full 80x200 with boards, so we could host a hockey tournament at sea. Sadly that is far from the case.

9db0f8fca8cf4cc7b8cd8251e8165f5c.jpg

Helmets are required. I've skated since I was 6, brought my own skates and the show skater running the session said it was policy when I asked if had to wear it. My family thought it was hilarious and insisted on taking a picture of my not amused face while wearing said helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Valskate86

Crikey!!!!

How did I ever survive skating without a helmet since I was 3??????

That's a tired old argument against this safety regulation. While you may have survived, all too many serious injuries occurred when skaters failed to wear protective gear. Ask any ER doctors for their experiences.

Crikey!!!!

How did I ever survive skating without a helmet since I was 3??????

I never were a seatbelt, and sometimes even stood up in a car to see better, and survived those dangerous times. I have never allowed my kids, or myself to ever get in a car without wearing a seat belt now.

Things change, and we became smarter.

Hoping to take a few spins around the rink in the next couple of weeks on the Explorer.

Got the long pants thing and the socks thing and even the compulsory helmet. My question is what type of skates do they equip you with? Figure skates with the toe picks or hockey skates or do you have a choice of selecting the skates that work best for you and which you are accustomed to?

Also, for those of you who have skated while on board, how often do they open the rink for public skating? Several of us on my sailing are hoping to have a bit of a skating party complete with some non-skaters cheering on us daredevil mostly oldsters.

Helmets are provided, so you need not worry about a concussion. With that said, you can still get a broken bone, bruises, cuts or sprains. While on the Navigator in April, some kid grabbed me from behind and pulled me down (I don't blame him though, as he was losing balance and simply reached out and grabbed anything within reach). Left me with a sprained elbow since I landed hard on my right arm.

Hoping to take a few spins around the rink in the next couple of weeks on the Explorer.

Got the long pants thing and the socks thing and even the compulsory helmet. My question is what type of skates do they equip you with? Figure skates with the toe picks or hockey skates or do you have a choice of selecting the skates that work best for you and which you are accustomed to?

Also, for those of you who have skated while on board, how often do they open the rink for public skating? Several of us on my sailing are hoping to have a bit of a skating party complete with some non-skaters cheering on us daredevil mostly oldsters.

Skates are the basic rental skates with fat, dull blades (no toe picks).

You can bring your own skates. One of my daughters has skated for 15 years and another one for 11, they have brought their own however the ice is never freshly cut for public skating times and they say it doesn't matter how sharp your blades are the ice is to ripped up to have a decent skate. They do have a time for more experienced skaters that bring their own skates but my girls don't even try it anymore. Just go into it knowing it is the novelty of skating out to sea. The rink is small, crowded, and ice is rough but kids still have a good time. If you are a skater they do not allow jumps and it doesn't matter your experience, insurance requirements are everyone wears a helmet. The ice shows have all been great and are worth going to see (at least as a skating parents we've enjoyed the shows).

I don't understand the requirement for long pants. It's not like it's cold. Can anyone explain that?

Form of fall protection, don't want to scrape up your legs on the ice. This way your pants take the damage not your skin. And from what I hear getting blood out of ice isn't easy.