Havenly disappointment?

j603

Asking the OP for details to see if the complaints were 'real' is so irrelevant. It is not up to anyone else to decide

Just like it isn't up to you to decide what is or isn't irrelevant?

You don't get to decide if things were good or bad for the OP .

You don't get to decide if people can ask questions.

No one on this thread was there; everyone has their own perception on things.

Which is why people are asking questions.

Next time you have a complaint about something, remember how you rude have been to this OP who just asked a question.

Asking a question isn't rude....not for the OP to ask nor for other people in the thread to ask.

All of the supposed 'advice' after the fact seems even more ridiculous;

How is it ridiculous?

... it usually wasn't presented with 'next time you may want to do this, it was bluntly said 'you should have done this'. No good contribution at all.

So...it wasn't the advice that was bad....it was the directness of the advice? Something like "In the future, you might want to think about possibly considering maybe doing..." would have been better?

Not everyone is an aggressive pitbull to get their own way or what they want; really like mean children.

It doesn't take a "pitbull" to ask for things that a suite guest is supposed to get.

You know who you are and if you don't you have waaaaaay more issues than we think or see here; a bit scary.

It's interesting that YOU can judge others as having "issues" but it is somehow wrong for others to ask questions to get a better understanding of what actually made the OP cry.

I hope the monitor takes this thread down; it shows how awful some people (and it usually is the same people) on the NCL threads have become and can be.

Another insult to those who asked questions....got it.

Grow-up naysayers, none of this is about you and what you 'think' happened. The OP just asked if it had happened to anyone else.

None of us has ever cried over lack of towel animals, lack of chocolate, or not being called by our first name everytime. Excuse us for asking for clarity. :rolleyes:

Thank you, suesings!

This thread has become very mean spirited, disrespectful and shameful.

Asking the OP for details to see if the complaints were 'real' is so irrelevant. It is not up to anyone else to decide.....you are not the OP who had this experience. You don't get to decide if things were good or bad for the OP .

No one on this thread was there; everyone has their own perception on things. Next time you have a complaint about something, remember how you rude have been to this OP who just asked a question.

All of the supposed 'advice' after the fact seems even more ridiculous; it usually wasn't presented with 'next time you may want to do this, it was bluntly said 'you should have done this'. No good contribution at all. Not everyone is an aggressive pitbull to get their own way or what they want; really like mean children. You know who you are and if you don't you have waaaaaay more issues than we think or see here; a bit scary.

I hope the monitor takes this thread down; it shows how awful some people (and it usually is the same people) on the NCL threads have become and can be.

Grow-up naysayers, none of this is about you and what you 'think' happened. The OP just asked if it had happened to anyone else.

Personally, I think your post is the most judgemental on this entire thread. You made across-the-board blatant criticisms against many of us who try to be helpful.

This board is not for just the benefit of the OP. Otherwise it would need to be like Dear Abby. It is a discussion. I like to think of it as a teaching tool, perhaps to those thinking of cruising in the haven with friends in the future?

You might want to consider that little red triangle if you wish to report something to the mods. I have done that. It is really more fair than pointing fingers and appointing yourself as a the post police.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

None of us has ever cried over lack of towel animals, lack of chocolate, or not being called by our first name everytime. Excuse us for asking for clarity. :rolleyes:

True, asking questions is not necessarily rude. It is how you ask and questioning what she said. It is just odd and aggressive. And I can pretty much tell that the OP did indeed take offense. So don't act like you are just naively asking questions. You are trying to invalidate her experience, blame her, and make fun of her for being disappointed and crying. I honestly cannot believe we both read the same original post. You actually got from her post that she was crying over towel animals and no chocolate??

I honestly cannot believe we both read the same original post. You actually got from her post that she was crying over towel animals and no chocolate??

1st post...

Our friends were always referred to by their first names and we were rarely addressed as such.

^1st non-bedroom related complaint.

They received chocolates and towel animals every night while we were lucky to be getting clean towels.

^2nd non-bedroom related complaint.

And if we ventured to the Haven restaurant without our friends, we had a very hard time getting served.

^3rd non-bedroom complaint (which was never explained).

I was very disappointed about the whole thing.

I go on vacation to relax, and the Haven left me feeling stressed out and crying.

^What else could the OP have been crying over?

If (as later claimed) it wasn't the bedroom...

I never said that our being in the second bedroom made the wait staff pay less attention to us. They were two separate points that I was making.

...and it wasn't the 50/50 cost, what was it?

[quote

She was crying over her disappointment with her overall Haven experience. I assume she had an expectation that that they would be treated well and doesn't feel they were. There were numerous things she was upset and disappointed about. That is all.... She has a right to be upset about them, it was her trip and her experience.

[quote

She was crying over her disappointment with her overall Haven experience. I assume she had an expectation that that they would be treated well and doesn't feel they were. There were numerous things she was upset and disappointed about. That is all.... She has a right to be upset about them, it was her trip and her experience.

Learning point...if op was having bad service, she should have told someone ON the cruise NOT complain after...maybe then she would have had a better cruise.

Jeez Louise!!, the OP just asked if anyone else was disappointed by their stay in the Haven and listing some things SHE was upset about. That is all she did. She has every right to ask that question and share her feelings. Why do people have to have make her feel bad and tell her she shouldn't vent on CC? Why shouldn't she?? If you only want to read posts where everything was peachy keen, then don't read the ones where people were disappointed. It's easy....

Everyone has a right to share their experiences on a cruise. Most complaints are valid ranging from serious to trivial. If you ever read my reviews there were little complaints here and there.

Some reviews complain about the weather and attack the cruise line. That is a ridiculous complaint that I think we all can agree with. I found the OP's complaints almost as bad. If you are unhappy with the sleeping arrangements with sharing bedrooms is not a valid complaint to the cruise line IMHO. The OP could have booked their own penthouse if they wanted to. But they agreed to stay in the extra bedroom or were forced to stay there by their friends. Either scenario has nothing to do with NCL.

I also don't see the logic how staff would know or care or bother to treat someone different because of the bedroom they are unaware they sleep in.

If the OP had complaints about the food, entertainment, service, or prices....those are all valid expressions of dissatisfaction. Every "complaint" centered around their friends vs them. "They got a plate, they got the bigger bedroom, they were treated with more respect." The suite comes with ONE master bedroom. The butler delivers ONE plate per day. Every guest in the suite is treated equal by the cruise line. Its for the occupants inside to decide how to share things. I did not see any rude comments but I think its fair game to comment on how silly the original comments were.

I do agree that many times even serious or legitimate complaints get overrun by many members who spend all day defending NCL no matter what the situation. Considering what the OP wrote, I thought even the harshest comments were on the mild side. I personally cannot believe the OP would pay such big bucks for sharing a Haven suite and surrender the living arrangements to the other couple for the entire week. I think this is why the OP has not come back. I would bet they were nicely offered to come along on the cruise with minimal payment and felt jaded with the accommodations. Everything from the plate that is delivered to the room or how the staff addressed them to the bedroom size shows the ugly green eyed monster showing its head.

Edited by david_sobe

Everyone has a right to share their experiences on a cruise. Most complaints are valid ranging from serious to trivial. If you ever read my reviews there were little complaints here and there.

Some reviews complain about the weather and attack the cruise line. That is a ridiculous complaint that I think we all can agree with. I found the OP's complaints almost as bad. If you are unhappy with the sleeping arrangements with sharing bedrooms is not a valid complaint to the cruise line IMHO. The OP could have booked their own penthouse if they wanted to. But they agreed to stay in the extra bedroom or were forced to stay there by their friends. Either scenario has nothing to do with NCL.

I also don't see the logic how staff would know or care or bother to treat someone different because of the bedroom they are unaware they sleep in.

If the OP had complaints about the food, entertainment, service, or prices....those are all valid expressions of dissatisfaction. Every "complaint" centered around their friends vs them. "They got a plate, they got the bigger bedroom, they were treated with more respect." The suite comes with ONE master bedroom. The butler delivers ONE plate per day. Every guest in the suite is treated equal by the cruise line. Its for the occupants inside to decide how to share things. I did not see any rude comments but I think its fair game to comment on how silly the original comments were.

I do agree that many times even serious or legitimate complaints get overrun by many members who spend all day defending NCL no matter what the situation. Considering what the OP wrote, I thought even the harshest comments were on the mild side. I personally cannot believe the OP would pay such big bucks for sharing a Haven suite and surrender the living arrangements to the other couple for the entire week. I think this is why the OP has not come back. I would bet they were nicely offered to come along on the cruise with minimal payment and felt jaded with the accommodations. Everything from the plate that is delivered to the room or how the staff addressed them to the bedroom size shows the ugly green eyed monster showing its head.

You are correct. Either, as Paul Harvey, (I know - I am old), said...where is the "rest of the story".? We do not know the "arrangements" with their friends, how the invitation came to be and the division of funds. Probably will never know...

I can surmise that the feelings they shared with us was the catalyst for the overall vibe of their cruise. It is human nature to react to things differently when things tend to snowball. I think the friend thing set the tone and even the smallest thing became escalated.

Edited by DMH15

Learning point...if op was having bad service, she should have told someone ON the cruise NOT complain after...maybe then she would have had a better cruise.

Well, not everyone is comfortable or good at confrontation. Lucky for you that you have no problem with it. Oh and who are you supposed to tell anyway?

Jeez Louise!!, the OP just asked if anyone else was disappointed by their stay in the Haven and listing some things SHE was upset about. That is all she did. She has every right to ask that question and share her feelings. Why do people have to have make her feel bad and tell her she shouldn't vent on CC? Why shouldn't she?? If you only want to read posts where everything was peachy keen, then don't read the ones where people were disappointed. It's easy....

I still think discussing the situation with the couple is the thing which should have occurred rather than speaking behind their back. Venting is a coping mechanism that allows a person to rationalize and validate their own fears, concerns ,worries, dreams and hopes. Everyone is able to share on these threads and comment on what is posted.

Thank you, suesings!

This thread has become very mean spirited, disrespectful and shameful.

Asking the OP for details to see if the complaints were 'real' is so irrelevant. It is not up to anyone else to decide.....you are not the OP who had this experience. You don't get to decide if things were good or bad for the OP .

No one on this thread was there; everyone has their own perception on things. Next time you have a complaint about something, remember how you rude have been to this OP who just asked a question.

All of the supposed 'advice' after the fact seems even more ridiculous; it usually wasn't presented with 'next time you may want to do this, it was bluntly said 'you should have done this'. No good contribution at all. Not everyone is an aggressive pitbull to get their own way or what they want; really like mean children. You know who you are and if you don't you have waaaaaay more issues than we think or see here; a bit scary.

Not everyone is an aggressive pitbull to get their own way or what they want; really like mean children. You know who you are and if you don't you have waaaaaay more issues than we think or see here; a bit scary.

Yikes this is the first time it may or may not be inferred this sweet Grandma has been called an aggressive pitball and a mean child in one sentence. I do not believe in name calling.

Two Wheels Only, DMH15, david_sobe, xcell thank you for clarifying once again the responses. I do not believe anyone has been mean by asking questions for clarification to answer the question posted by the OP.

Ok. I will come clean here. I was the victim of my own stupidity. Years ago. Before my first cruise on the Norway.

I went with a singles group. I had planned on sharing a room with a business associate and then her friend signed on last minute and they wanted to room together.

So they paired me up with Vicki, who I met right before the cruise. I knew we had a cheap Inside with bunk beds. But I wished I'd known it was really a converted broom closet. It was so tiny.

I told Vicki I had to have the top bunk. I am claustrophobic and the idea of having a bed right on top of me was frightening. I practically hyperventilated just thinking about it.

Well...

She agreed...

We got to our room and the top bunk was literally a foot from the ceiling. A person on the bottom could comfortably sit up in bed.

You should have seen my face!

I shrieked "I just couldn't sleep up there"!

She replied "a deal's a deal. You called it".

So, I spent all week overindulging in liquid courage and closing the disco so I could just slink back to my bunk and crash.

Now, I do my due diligence.

Dr Phil says there is medication for that

It's obvious that OP isn't coming back, which is too bad. She says in her first post that she has to vent here because she can't vent to her friends. I think the source of her "Havenly disappointment" is that she feels cheated by her friends because each couple paid 50% of the cost of the room and yet her friends got the big room, the chocolates, the towel animals, and the great service.

I do feel that somehow the reservation was booked with her friends as the "lead" guests and she and her husband were the 3rd and 4th passenger. There's no excuse for that though. All guests should have been treated well by the dining staff. If there was some expectation of the level of service that wasn't being met, OP should have discussed this with someone (concierge etc) while on board.

I do wish that OP would come back and say if she and her friends ever had a discussion about the room arrangement. "Wow, this room is enormous and luxurious, and ours is a closet." Did they ever discuss switching mid-week, did they talk about the unfairness of the 50% split, etc. It seems to me that they didn't, because she says she can't vent to her friends. Why didn't they discuss this?

I think that's the heart of the problem. The service issues could have been easily rectified. As has been pointed out by others, the staff doesn't know who is in the big bedroom and who is in the closet. For all the staff knows, all four of them are sleeping together in the big bed. If they weren't getting greeted by name, then she should have said something.

The problem is that OP was ripped off by her friends (to the point where she was stressed and crying) and feels afraid to discuss with her friends. And I do have to say if her friends didn't recognize the unfairness and never offered to switch rooms mid-week or share the chocolates, well then, those are some pretty poopy friends.

Well, not everyone is comfortable or good at confrontation. Lucky for you that you have no problem with it. Oh and who are you supposed to tell anyway?

It's not confrontation if someone asks for something that they paid for. The OP clearly paid enough for an extra towel animal and extra chocolates. Whether Haven or non-Haven, the OP's request would have easily been met.

If the problem was brought to the room steward's attention, it would have been fixed.

If the problem WASN'T fixed by the steward, butler, concierge, THEN EVERYONE on the board would agree that the Haven staff was to blame for the OP's unhappiness.

Venting is a coping mechanism that allows a person to rationalize and validate their own fears, concerns ,worries, dreams and hopes.

It can also be an unhealthy mechanism. Keeping things bottled up can ruin/lessen the enjoyment of an expensive cruise.

I want everyone to enjoy their cruise. So many people have given advice/examples so that the OP or anyone else reading can avoid or solve a similar problem that may happen in the future.

I don't think anyone reading this thread would share a 2br suite with friends and pay 50/50 to spend the entire cruise in "the closet" in the future.

We didn't even delve into the promos for guest 1&2 that aren't always extended to 3&4. A piece of advice that I would give in addition to switching mid-cruise would be to add the cost of UBP, SDP, and gratuities for 3&4 towards the "suite total" then divide equally. That way, everyone has the same and pays the same.

There's no excuse for that though. All guests should have been treated well by the dining staff. If there was some expectation of the level of service that wasn't being met, OP should have discussed this with someone (concierge etc) while on board.

That's one of the mysteries. HOW was the OP mistreated by the staff? The OP never explained how "we had a very hard time getting served" actually happened. Was it "We had to wait 3 minutes for a waiter when we were alone but only 1 minute when the 4 of us sat down..."? There was no explanation even though triptolemus asked for an example way back in post #6 when the OP was still here.

I do wish that OP would come back ..."

I also wish that the OP would return. Something as simple as "I'm pissed because my friends saw the arrangement and still didn't feel that anything was amiss..." would be FINE. Just about everyone agrees that the other couple is the real problem.

The problem is that OP was ripped off by her friends (to the point where she was stressed and crying) and feels afraid to discuss with her friends. And I do have to say if her friends didn't recognize the unfairness and never offered to switch rooms mid-week or share the chocolates, well then, those are some pretty poopy friends.

Exactly.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

Dr Phil says there is medication for that

I really was fine.

Since then I have been scuba diving many times and been trapped in an elevator. So, I must have worked it out without Dr. Phil or meds. Haha. Wink.

Edited by DMH15

Just like it isn't up to you to decide what is or isn't irrelevant?

You don't get to decide if people can ask questions.

Which is why people are asking questions.

Asking a question isn't rude....not for the OP to ask nor for other people in the thread to ask.

How is it ridiculous?

So...it wasn't the advice that was bad....it was the directness of the advice? Something like "In the future, you might want to think about possibly considering maybe doing..." would have been better?

It doesn't take a "pitbull" to ask for things that a suite guest is supposed to get.

It's interesting that YOU can judge others as having "issues" but it is somehow wrong for others to ask questions to get a better understanding of what actually made the OP cry.

Thank you so much for proving my point!!! Look at how defensive you got about my post. Same thing you are doing to the OP. :)

Everything they vented about was subjective and how can you 'clarify' someone's opinion and feelings on a situation. Maybe this will help your comprehension though I realize you are not alone in this crusade.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thank you so much for proving my point!!! Look at how defensive you got about my post. Same thing you are doing to the OP. :)

Everything they vented about was subjective and how can you 'clarify' someone's opinion and feelings on a situation. Maybe this will help your comprehension though I realize you are not alone in this crusade.

Thanks for the feedback.

There's not one single post of mine that resorts to insulting anyone. YOUR post (as noted by others) resorted to insulting people.

Why not address the points of my post such as YOU trying to decide what is or isn't relevant?

Tell me how posts giving helpful advice are "ridiculous".

Tell me how others (who also didn't resort to insults) have issues (according to you).

Edited by Two Wheels Only

I have to vent a bit here because I can't vent to my friends. Here goes...

Has anyone been disappointed by their Haven experience? My husband and I shared a 2 bedroom H4 suite in the Haven on the September 10th sailing on the Escape. The other couple had the big bedroom while we had the second bedroom. While, the pull out double bed was comfortable, it was only about 6 inches off the floor, making getting out of bed a bit difficult, and the room overall was the same size as the master bathroom in the suite. My husband and I came to dub our room the closet. While we were completely content with our closet, the thing that left us with a sour taste was how we were treated by the crew in the Haven. Our friends were always referred to by their first names and we were rarely addressed as such. They received chocolates and towel animals every night while we were lucky to be getting clean towels. And if we ventured to the Haven restaurant without our friends, we had a very hard time getting served. I was very disappointed about the whole thing.

The rest of the ship was fantastic. We loved the Wine Lovers musical and For the Record show. Margaritaville was my favorite lunch spot. Cagney's, Food Republic and Le Bistro were delicious; Bamayos, not so much. And Robert in the Brewhouse was an awesome bartender. We spent A LOT of time there.

Overall, I loved the ship and will go back on it, but I will not be wasting my money on the Haven again. I go on vacation to relax, and the Haven left me feeling stressed out and crying. Over a year of anticipation and excitment only to be wishing I had gone to Disney. Lol

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Wondering if you paid the same as the other couple that had the master. North that it should matter how the crew treated you not at all they should treat everyone equal but I'm just curious if it was split down the middle or did u pay less.

Edit: just read you did split it down the middle. Wow I would never have agreed to that with another couple. Do you still talk to them? Lol. Did they feel bad when they saw the size of your bedroom and bathroom compared to yours? I hope they picked up something for you on your bill something anything geeze.

Edited by CasinoCruzGirl

I finally did want to say as I thought about this. I cruised with friends in the garden villa. Before the cruise we discussed things, like inwas passenger #1 so I got the OBC and gratuities as part of my perks. I paid for our cabana on GSC to make up for that. We ended up skipping GSC so I paid extra towards the butler. This is just an example of how we worked some of it out. We are now booked on the Jade in a Garden Villa for this December and I am passenger #4 I get nothing perk wise however passengers 1&2 will work it all out and all will be even Steven.

I finally did want to say as I thought about this. I cruised with friends in the garden villa. Before the cruise we discussed things, like inwas passenger #1 so I got the OBC and gratuities as part of my perks. I paid for our cabana on GSC to make up for that. We ended up skipping GSC so I paid extra towards the butler. This is just an example of how we worked some of it out. We are now booked on the Jade in a Garden Villa for this December and I am passenger #4 I get nothing perk wise however passengers 1&2 will work it all out and all will be even Steven.

You got that right :)

Yikes!! That would be such a bummer! Oh how I hope we get a nice Butler. How very nice of the other Butler to bring enough snacks for you too! I know it is embarrassing to complain to higher ups, but did you tell anyone that your Butler basically stunk? :D:D

I considered talking with the Hotel Director, but decided my butler's lack of service was not going to change my cruise. I planned on having a great trip, even if I had to get my own cookies..:) I don't have a butler at home, so I figured I would survive.

I know that people need their jobs and I did not want to be the one that placed a black mark on his record.

I considered talking with the Hotel Director, but decided my butler's lack of service was not going to change my cruise. I planned on having a great trip, even if I had to get my own cookies..:) I don't have a butler at home, so I figured I would survive.

I know that people need their jobs and I did not want to be the one that placed a black mark on his record.

I strongly disagree.

If a butler is not performing their duties, the butler should be reported. This will give the best chance for the situation to be corrected. The person reporting the issue may have a better cruise if the butler steps up their game or is replaced.

The butler may think that they are doing a good job and would continue to perform in the same way unless corrected.

Wondering if you paid the same as the other couple that had the master. North that it should matter how the crew treated you not at all they should treat everyone equal but I'm just curious if it was split down the middle or did u pay less.

Edit: just read you did split it down the middle. Wow I would never have agreed to that with another couple. Do you still talk to them? Lol. Did they feel bad when they saw the size of your bedroom and bathroom compared to yours? I hope they picked up something for you on your bill something anything geeze.

Exactly! In my opinion - this all started when they equally split the costs and expected equal accommodations and experiences.

I would never have agreed to that split. The second bedroom is nowhere near the space or level of the master.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Exactly! In my opinion - this all started when they equally split the costs and expected equal accommodations and experiences.

I would never have agreed to that split. The second bedroom is nowhere near the space or level of the master.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This brought to me what the issue might really be. Why is the second bedroom nowhere near the level? Why should they not expect equal experiences?

For years I thought the only difference between a suite and a "regular" room was the size of the room. I couldn't understand why someone would pay that much more for a bigger room.

If there are two bedrooms, why wouldn't the room steward and butler be expected to treat both the same? Why does the second bedroom have to ask for chocolates and daily freestyles or whatever? Yes, the OP should have asked rather than getting upset but why should she have had to?

This brought to me what the issue might really be. Why is the second bedroom nowhere near the level? Why should they not expect equal experiences?

For years I thought the only difference between a suite and a "regular" room was the size of the room. I couldn't understand why someone would pay that much more for a bigger room.

If there are two bedrooms, why wouldn't the room steward and butler be expected to treat both the same? Why does the second bedroom have to ask for chocolates and daily freestyles or whatever? Yes, the OP should have asked rather than getting upset but why should she have had to?

We had that room on the Epic

That room is sold as a "2 bedroom Family Suite". The second room and bath are tiny and we're designed to be a space for children of the adults staying in the main bedroom.

I understand 4 adults choosing to sail together - but the 2 in that second space are not going to have the same experience. Even if the service is identical - IMO.