Is a round trip TA counted as one or two voyages?

Lanky Lad

It may well depend on which way the wind is blowing..... ! It's an old chestnut which we have discussed with senior officers at one of the drinks receptions. On our then 17 night one booking ref.trip, we accepted that it was one voyage, the officers felt that we should have got the credit for 3.... though we did get multiple invites to cocktail receptions... so a bit of a difference at the time about the views of Land versus Sea....

A b2b is considered differently from other voyages. Usually you receive 2 lots CWC Benefits, One (1) Bottle of Pol Acker and double internet time. If a shareholder the relevant obc to the number of days sailing.

This has been discussed before back in 2009 see

http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?p=18733920

Cunard's Explanation

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/returning-home/transatlantic_benefits

"If you are sailing on a round trip Transatlantic voyage, departing from either Southampton or New York, you will be given your benefits in your embarkation Port and when you reach Southampton/New York your benefits will be reissued for the crossing back to Southampton/New York. Please note that there may be occasions where the above not operationally possible and one sets of benefits are given.

quote : If you have booked a Logical voyage, which is when you book two or more separate voyages as detailed in our latest brochure under one booking reference you will receive one set of benefits for the duration of your voyages. There may be occasions where two or more sets of benefits are given during your voyage. This is dependent on the Ports that you visit during your voyage."

Edited by Pennbank

I have no personal experience, but I thought it depended on whether your itinerary had one booking number or two. If you book it as a roundtrip (with a single booking number) it would be considered one trip with one set of perks, but if it were booked as two one-way bookings you might get perks for each segment.

We booked a roundtrip TA last year with 1 booking number as advertised in brochure with one price for whole cruise and only got 1 set of perks.

Wow - this thread is so helpful. I didn't know you get double bubble on Roundtrip Transatlantics - I'm booked on the 5th Nov Roundtrip to NYC and back to Southampton. I will make sure I use up my internet time on the way out now :)

I wouldnt rely on it I would check at reception first to confirm we didnt get "double bubble" on our roundtrip TA last October.

The problem is some people don't go to the correct source when looking for information, for example the Front Desk/Pursers Desk do not have all the answers ;)

For internet queries, speak directly with the Internet Manager.

For Word Club benefits, speak with the Voyage sales office.

Its two, most transatlantics are sold separately each way, although some times they price a 14 day roundtrip. I wouldn't waste effort on a New York tour and immigration, not worth it. If you want to see and experience New York you need to stay a few days. The Brooklyn port isn't all that quick to downtown Manhattan, you'll spend an hour each way, not see much, then turn around and head back....plus you'll spend several hundred dollars to do this.

It depends. The second part of the information quoted above from the Cunard website states that:

If you have booked a Logical voyage, which is when you book two or more separate voyages as detailed in our latest brochure under one booking reference you will receive one set of benefits for the duration of your voyages.

I rang Cunard to find out what that meant, as we are booked on the Oct 18th roundtrip TA. It turns out that a 'logical voyage' is one that is sold as one voyage, with a single voyage number (in our case M623B). In that case it's classed as a single voyage, and you only receive one set of CWC benefits. The EB and WB legs then count as sectors of the roundtrip, not as individual voyages in their own right (unless you've booked them separately, of course).

Hope that makes sense! The upshot for us is that we will receive only one set of benefits. On the other hand, we got the roundtrip for such a good price that it's really not an issue for us (though counting it as two trips would have been handy, as it would have taken us to platinum level). I might still go and ask when we're on board, just to check!

Hello wordzz, In some ways that is correct, however, what it's actually referring to is; only one Bot of Poll Acker, one Diamond Complimentary lunch, One complimentary wine Tasting.

I've been on several of these b2bs or round trips and always been offered additional internet for the return journey , even had some unused internet from the west bound credited to the east bound journey. Best to speak with the Internet centre.

Although the Captains cocktail party is open to all ( without a personal invitation) I've often received additional invites on the return sector to the World Club & Senior officers receptions. (not too sure if that had anything to do with the loyalty level I have reached :confused: )

Hello wordzz, In some ways that is correct, however, what it's actually referring to is; only one Bot of Poll Acker, one Diamond Complimentary lunch, One complimentary wine Tasting.

I've been on several of these b2bs or round trips and always been offered additional internet for the return journey , even had some unused internet from the west bound credited to the east bound journey. Best to speak with the Internet centre.

Although the Captains cocktail party is open to all ( without a personal invitation) I've often received additional invites on the return sector to the World Club & Senior officers receptions. (not too sure if that had anything to do with the loyalty level I have reached :confused: )

Bell Boy

Like you, that is exactly my understanding except Transatlantic's .. I do however check with the internet manager that the system has not changed. It has changed with 're mastering' with regards to Disembarking guests internet being cut off at 0000 prior to arrival. They now place a notice in the Daily Programme. One used to be able to use it until you de barked.

However on my last b2b and all previous I received 2 everything except Pol Acker even though booked as 1 voyage number.

Edited by Pennbank

Hi Bell Boy and Pennbank,

That's good to hear, thank you - I'll be down to see them once we are on board!

Cunard state

What is a logical voyage?

A logical voyage is when 2 or more advertised back to back voyages are booked under 1 booking reference.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/returning-home/Logical

I am travelling on two back to back voyages, will I receive my World Club benefits twice?

"If you have booked two voyages with two separate booking references you will receive one set of benefits during your first voyage and one set of benefits during your second voyage.

If you have booked a Logical voyage, which is when you book two or more separate voyages, as detailed in our latest brochure, under one booking reference you will receive one set of benefits for the duration of your voyages.

There may be occasions where two or more sets of benefits are given during your voyage, this is dependent on the duration of your voyage and the Ports that you visit during your voyage. Please contact the World Club on 0843 373 0305 (Calls cost 5p per minute plus your telephone company’s network access charge) for further details. " end quote.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/returning-home/logical_benefits2

Transatlantic voyages are treated differently, hence Cunard definition , however when crossing on a b2b under 1 voyage number only 1 voyage is credited towards your World Club Membership

Edited by Pennbank

The problem is everybody is talking about b2b but if you book a roundtrip TA 14nt voyage as advertised by Cunard in their brochure or website Cunard do not class it as b2b but one voyage, or at least they did when we did it last year.

Have to disagree with you here.

A roundtrip Transatlantic crossing is a b2b crossing

see

If you are sailing on a round trip Transatlantic voyage, departing from either Southampton or New York, you will be given your benefits in your embarkation Port and when you reach Southampton/New York your benefits will be reissued for the crossing back to Southampton/New York. Please note that there may be occasions where the above not operationally possible and one sets of benefits are given.

take the next Roundtrip QM2 M625B 14 days that is a b2b and I am sure like all previous would received double CWC benefits, but count only as 1 voyage towards Cunard World Club membership.

Voyage M624B may be classed differently as it is not a direct point between Southampton and New York, there are other stops en route.

Edited by Pennbank

see

If you are sailing on a round trip Transatlantic voyage, departing from either Southampton or New York, you will be given your benefits in your embarkation Port and when you reach Southampton/New York your benefits will be reissued for the crossing back to Southampton/New York. Please note that there may be occasions where the above not operationally possible and one sets of benefits are given.

take the next Roundtrip QM2 M625B 14 days that is a b2b and I am sure like all previous would received double CWC benefits, but count only as 1 voyage towards Cunard World Club membership.

Voyage M624B may be classed differently as it is not a direct point between Southampton and New York, there are other stops en route.

When DW and I were on the 175 Anniversary roundtrip last year (M511E), which went out via Liverpool, Halifax and Boston and returned via Halifax, we too got our CWC benefits reissued for the homeward leg from New York. That said, as it was booked as a single trip, it only counted as 1 voyage for the purposes of climbing the CWC Membership level ladder.

see

You keep on saying that repeatedly but you dont explain why on our roundtrip TA last October 22nd-November 5th we only received one set of CWC benefits for the whole cruise.

You keep on saying that repeatedly but you dont explain why on our roundtrip TA last October 22nd-November 5th we only received one set of CWC benefits for the whole cruise.

Depending on the CWC level, one gets differing benefits all of which, with the exception of the internet, are notified to you by a communication/invitation to your stateroom. As I say the exception is the internet and this is self serve so to speak. The way that one obtains this benefit is by "purchasing" the relevant package for ones CWC level (i.e. 2 hours [Gold], 4 hours [Platinum] or 8 hours [Diamond]). In the case of a B2B or roundtrip TA it is important to remember that one must claim the outbound allowance during the outbound sector and then claim the return allowance on the way back. Unless things have changed post re-mastering, any unused minutes from the outbound are carried forward to use on the return but one MUST claim (purchase) the outbound allowance during the outbound sector. Remaining minutes (even if all of them) are carried forward but not the right to obtain a refund of the purchase price. In other words if one doesn't claim the first lot on the way out, one cannot claim two on the return. If one does, only one of them will be reimbursed.

Edited by North West Newbie

Explanation, You "missed out" But don't tell me NO ( Post #17) when I and others have had otherwise, on all my occasions doing a Round trip b2b Transatlantic.

Of the many, I was on M525C on 15th October last year and received my double benefits as usual.

Edited by Pennbank

Explanation, You "missed out" But don't tell me NO ( Post #17) when I and others have had otherwise, on all my occasions doing a Round trip b2b Transatlantic.

Of the many, I was on M525C on 15th October last year and received my double benefits as usual.

Correction re dates, It was the same b2b Roundtrip as you. 22nd Oct to 5th Nov M525C. However I received as usual double benefits . Except the fizzy wine.

1349268958_CunardM525C.jpg.b3a037a8ad07fe69d59a85ecd99918f8.jpg

Edited by Pennbank

• 1 month later...

Host Hattie - as promised an update....

I have just come back from the Roundtrip crossing 5th-19th November Southampton to NYC and back and I did indeed get the world club benefits twice. My internet time was running low during the first week so I checked with the Pursers desk if I get another lot of internet on the way back and they confirmed I did. This indeed happened and I had 4 hours internet on the way out and 4 hours internet on the way back refunded in the usual way on my statement for Platinum world club membership. There were the usual parties - Britiannia, World Club and Senior Officers which I had on the way out and again on the way back.

So you do get 'double bubble!'. Many thanks to this forum - I would not have known about the internet without the helpful posters here.

Also just back from the 5th November B2B transatlantic. We had all the CW benefits for both crossings. I spoke to Yoyo at the CW office onboard regarding the Internet and she advised you had to use up all your first set of free minutes before the system would allow you to 'purchase' the second set.

For people who say they enquirer at the pursers desk regarding CW benefits, this is probably the worst place to ask as they don't know...

Also just back from the 5th November B2B transatlantic. We had all the CW benefits for both crossings. I spoke to Yoyo at the CW office onboard regarding the Internet and she advised you had to use up all your first set of free minutes before the system would allow you to 'purchase' the second set.

For people who say they enquirer at the pursers desk regarding CW benefits, this is probably the worst place to ask as they don't know...

I don't believe Yoyo is correct. The best person to ask about internet is the internet manager. I know for sure that on our B2B in July 2015 the unused minutes from the outbound sector were transferred to our return leg and before these minutes were used up I purchased the return package to benefit from the extra free minutes offered in the "embarkation special" which is usually offered for the first two days. I might add that if you don't purchase/claim your entitlement on the way out you cannot claim double on the way back.