Has anyone flown Norwegian Air in the last couple months?

cruises42

I few with them round trip in the last 2 weeks. YES they did weight some carry on bags, with several people getting out of line to "repack". They were also charging for bags over 20kg. They didn't seem to be overlooking the policies. This was out of Gatwick and Copenhagen. All food and drink was a charge, nothing comp.

Thank you for the information.

I have had carry-on weighed on Air Berlin, SAS, Norwegian, WOW Air and City Jet

Ryan Air also weighs carry on bags. A few years ago we had a short flight on Ryan Air. I knew the limits and packed accordingly. My BF took the attitude of "whatever; if they charge me a few bucks because it's over, so bit it" but really didn't believe it would be an issue because he doubted they'd actually weigh. They did, he was a few kilos over, and they charge a ridiculous amount per kilo over. Ended up costing him something like $150.

I have never heard of having a weight restriction on carry-ons. and wondered if they really took the time to weigh them.

You haven't heard of it because in the US it's rare. But in Europe it's very common.

As to your original question, 20 lbs or whatever it was doesn't seem like much because as Americans we are used to packing WAY too much stuff. We insist on new outfits each day, and don't think we should have to do laundry because after all, "we are on vacation!!!" Europeans are generally much more sensible about packing.

You said you were packing for 26 days, and I would suggest that that is the problem right there. The trip may be 26 days, but I would only pack for 5 or 6 days and just plan on re-wearing items unless you sweat heavily in them, and plan on doing laundry or having it done every few days. You can always send laundry out on a ship and usually in nicer hotels, and friends of ours who did a 3 week land trip to Europe last spring, found laundromats were easy to find if they just asked at the hotel desk. They put a load in, find a nearby cafe or bar and enjoyed that part of the trip as much as any, because inevitably they'd end up chatting with locals and soaking up the REAL culture, as opposed to the Disney version of "culture" at tourist restaurants and such.

You said you were packing for 26 days, and I would suggest that that is the problem right there. The trip may be 26 days, but I would only pack for 5 or 6 days and just plan on re-wearing items unless you sweat heavily in them, and plan on doing laundry or having it done every few days. You can always send laundry out on a ship and usually in nicer hotels, and friends of ours who did a 3 week land trip to Europe last spring, found laundromats were easy to find if they just asked at the hotel desk. They put a load in, find a nearby cafe or bar and enjoyed that part of the trip as much as any, because inevitably they'd end up chatting with locals and soaking up the REAL culture, as opposed to the Disney version of "culture" at tourist restaurants and such.

I totally agree. :) My light packing has been long term, which has also offered me far more freedom, and cheap transit options. :) (I rarely use cabs, and do just fine on city buses, rail etc) For me, "26 days" isn't uncommon, I frequently am gone a month at a time, longest was a little over 6 weeks. Only 1 24 " bag needed, with a backpack.

I always do laundry and am a big advocate of considering Zote soap for some hand washing. Wonderful laundry. product.

Ryan Air also weighs carry on bags. A few years ago we had a short flight on Ryan Air. I knew the limits and packed accordingly. My BF took the attitude of "whatever; if they charge me a few bucks because it's over, so bit it" but really didn't believe it would be an issue because he doubted they'd actually weigh. They did, he was a few kilos over, and they charge a ridiculous amount per kilo over. Ended up costing him something like $150.

You haven't heard of it because in the US it's rare. But in Europe it's very common.

As to your original question, 20 lbs or whatever it was doesn't seem like much because as Americans we are used to packing WAY too much stuff. We insist on new outfits each day, and don't think we should have to do laundry because after all, "we are on vacation!!!" Europeans are generally much more sensible about packing.

I probably will have to do some laundry.

I totally agree. :) My light packing has been long term, which has also offered me far more freedom, and cheap transit options. :) (I rarely use cabs, and do just fine on city buses, rail etc) For me, "26 days" isn't uncommon, I frequently am gone a month at a time, longest was a little over 6 weeks. Only 1 24 " bag needed, with a backpack.

I always do laundry and am a big advocate of considering Zote soap for some hand washing. Wonderful laundry. product.

I see you are also on the Vista TA.

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread but the answer to the OP's question is YES. They do weigh cabin baggage. We flew last December FLL to Gatwick and they weighed all the bags. We have just booked with them for this year but chose Premium class. As well as seat choice, meals etc it gives us a combined luggage allowance of 100kg. Enough for any avid shopper. This is the total for hold and cabin baggage. Cost is less than coach or cattle class as we think of it on most of the bigger airlines. One way fares are usually a major outlay for us.

ok, all airlines weight the checked baggage while you check-in we are all aware of that, the first post of this thread was about cabin bags, and I maintain my first post, flew 6 times between 2015 and last year with Norwegian and they never asked me to put my hand luggages on the scale nor they asked me to show them my cabin baggages. Now I might be "very very" lucky.

ok, all airlines weight the checked baggage while you check-in we are all aware of that, the first post of this thread was about cabin bags, and I maintain my first post, flew 6 times between 2015 and last year with Norwegian and they never asked me to put my hand luggages on the scale nor they asked me to show them my cabin baggages. Now I might be "very very" lucky.

I asked the question on this thread. We flew Norwegian in October and they randomly weighed carry-on bags. They weighed ours but not the ones from the couple traveling with us.