Has anyone flown Norwegian Air in the last couple months?

cruises42

Has anyone flown Norwegian Air in the last couple months? I was wondering if they really weigh the carry-on/personal items before boarding? As of July, they have a weight limit of 22 lbs for both items combined (that doesn't seem like much to me) and I was hoping they didn't actually weigh them.

Last year they did not. Now you always have the possibility to transfer some stuff to your checked luggage if you have any or they might even offer to check your carry on for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There won't be any room is our suitcases (we are packing for 26 days). We don't have to pay for carry-ons. I just don't like having a weigh limit.

There won't be any room is our suitcases (we are packing for 26 days). We don't have to pay for carry-ons. I just don't like having a weigh limit.

Let me guess...you bought a ticket on Norwegian because it was the...gasp...cheapest!!! Now you complain about the weight limit.

There was an implicit "price" to your purchasing decision - you had to accept the baggage policies of your carrier. Now we see that you bought the ticket but don't like the policies that go with it. Sorry, you buy the whole package, not just the low ticket price.

ANY airline is within its rights to enforce its luggage rules. On any given day, your gate agent or check in agent may say "put it on a scale". And having bought the ticket, you accepted the fact that they can enforce those rules.

Awww...but it's my vacation.

Let me guess...you bought a ticket on Norwegian because it was the...gasp...cheapest!!! Now you complain about the weight limit.

There was an implicit "price" to your purchasing decision - you had to accept the baggage policies of your carrier. Now we see that you bought the ticket but don't like the policies that go with it. Sorry, you buy the whole package, not just the low ticket price.

ANY airline is within its rights to enforce its luggage rules. On any given day, your gate agent or check in agent may say "put it on a scale". And having bought the ticket, you accepted the fact that they can enforce those rules.

Awww...but it's my vacation.

+1

I hate it when people come here and ask if they may be exempted from luggage restrictions. If you can't pack to the airlines's rules, then either pay up or find an airline or class of service that lets you take your worldly possessions. People wonder why they have trouble finding overhead space for their bags...

Just so you know - Lufthansa has a cabin bag weight limit of 8kg (17.6lbs), so it's not all that uncommon.

A question: since your checked bag is already stuffed and your cabin luggage is already overstuffed, where are you going to put the souvenirs you buy and want to bring home? Are you wiling to pay extra on the way back, or do you expect another exemption because you are on vacation?

Edited by slidergirl

What happened to anyone else has no relevance to what your experience may be. Count on them weighing your bags, especially on your return flight.

To avoid lots of fees, try packing lighter and having laundry done. I spent a month overseas this summer with one small carryon and one checked bag (it was under 35 pounds). Most people bring too much stuff.

Edited by 6rugrats

I was asking a simple question. I never heard of weight limits for carry-ons (we don't fly a lot), so I wondered if they actually weigh them. I was not asking for any kind of exemption. We are not flying home. I didn't realize asking a question could bring out so much anger.

The best answer any of us can give is be prepared to have your carry ons weighed and placed in the size checker as well.

We have been on 5 different airlines to and through Europe in the last several years and we always restrained ourselves to avoid those nasty penalty fees. I know it's not easy but it can be done. We did it during our 28 day land trip in July/August.

Please do not take offense but none of us can predict an agent's adherence to company policy.

I agree OP it's really frustrating that you must verify for each airline what size and weight you can carry on and try to respect the limitations. Now Norwegian carry on weight is not less than other airlines it's even more than some so called premium such as Lufthansa - 1 cabin bag only 8kg - or Emirates - 1 cabin bag only 7kg - while Norwegian is 1 cabin bag + 1 personal item for 10kg.

You can always buy some excess weight directly on Norwegian before your fly.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Part of the issue is that someone will buy a ticket on X airlines because it is the cheapest without doing due diligence on what happens on that airline. If you know you will have luggage and in-cabin stuff, why would you not look at what each airline you are considering has in place? After you buy the ticket is not the time to be asking about it. You're stuck on an airline and you have to abide by the rules - if the website says "17lbs total cabin bags", do not go around asking if you may be able to skirt that because they may or may not actually check at the gate... Same with those who buy tickets on an airline at a cheap rate, then come and complain that they can't reserve a seat (certain cheap fares and some entire airlines don't allow to pick a seat in advance). Sorry to be harsh. But, it is what it is. If you want to roll the dice and pack 30lbs in your bag and hope it is not checked, that is your choice.

Edited by slidergirl

I have had carry-on weighed on Air Berlin, SAS, Norwegian, WOW Air and City Jet (who also made all of us gate check our carry-on and only allowed the personal item on board). Weight limits on carry-on luggage is quite common in Europe and it may be enforced. That's why we could never cruise with carry-on only.

I have had carry-on weighed on Air Berlin, SAS, Norwegian, WOW Air and City Jet (who also made all of us gate check our carry-on and only allowed the personal item on board). Weight limits on carry-on luggage is quite common in Europe and it may be enforced. That's why we could never cruise with carry-on only.

Gate checking carryons on a regional airline (like City Jet) is not all that unusual due to the plane type used. Those over head bins in the Fokkers and Avros and CRJs can't handle a full-size rolling carryon easily and end up having some clueless people putting their bag in sideways, gobbling up space. It happens all the time in the US, too. It is normal practice to "valet" your bag at the plane - have it stored below - and have it brought back up at the end of the flight. I valet my bag all the time; I'll let someone else try to cram their bag in the overhead...

Part of the issue is that someone will buy a ticket on X airlines because it is the cheapest without doing due diligence on what happens on that airline. If you know you will have luggage and in-cabin stuff, why would you not look at what each airline you are considering has in place? After you buy the ticket is not the time to be asking about it. You're stuck on an airline and you have to abide by the rules - if the website says "17lbs total cabin bags", do not go around asking if you may be able to skirt that because they may or may not actually check at the gate... Same with those who buy tickets on an airline at a cheap rate, then come and complain that they can't reserve a seat (certain cheap fares and some entire airlines don't allow to pick a seat in advance). Sorry to be harsh. But, it is what it is. If you want to roll the dice and pack 30lbs in your bag and hope it is not checked, that is your choice.

I am not trying to skirt anything or break rules. I never asked that. I have never heard of having a weight restriction on carry-ons. and wondered if they really took the time to weigh them. That's it. We bought our tickets last November, they revised their hand baggage rules this July.

I am not trying to skirt anything or break rules. I never asked that. I have never heard of having a weight restriction on carry-ons. and wondered if they really took the time to weigh them. That's it. We bought our tickets last November, they revised their hand baggage rules this July.

Well, you did say you hoped they didn't weight them, and 22 pounds seemed like a low amount...that does sort of imply things.

Lynn, the fact that you purchased your flights last November the hand baggage rules from last November will still be in effect with your ticket. Although as you say they have changed the rules it should not affect you. Reading the hand baggage rules they do say it depends on the type of your ticket and yours was purchased before the changes.

Disregard all the nasty comments on here. They hate it when people get bargains with cruise/choice air and budget flights. See you soon in Athens:D

Disregard all the nasty comments on here. They hate it when people get bargains with cruise/choice air and budget flights. See you soon in Athens:D
Nope, don't hate anyone. I don't have time in my life to waste on that. Perhaps a bit of projection?

I am happy for anyone that makes a rational, well-informed decision that benefits them. That's what capitalism is all about. But note the caveat about well-informed.

If all one looks at is bottom line pricing, then they deserve any surprise "gotchas" that they didn't consider along the way. Price only is not well-informed.

I find it interesting that people will research for months about the purchase of a TV or washing machine, yet spend similar amounts of money on travel services just on the basis of price without looking into the details.

So, if you got a good "deal" and are happy and it all works out for you - congratulations and live a good life. If it comes back to bite you in the posterior, don't say you weren't warned.

Caveat emptor. For all the important things in life.

Lynn, the fact that you purchased your flights last November the hand baggage rules from last November will still be in effect with your ticket. Although as you say they have changed the rules it should not affect you. Reading the hand baggage rules they do say it depends on the type of your ticket and yours was purchased before the changes.
Where does it say that those who bought tickets before the change will have the cabin baggage allowance from the time that they bought their tickets?

Or is that merely an assumption that you've made?

When the website says "Your ticket type will determine how heavy your hand baggage can be", it means that LowFare, Lowfare+ and Premium tickets have one allowance, and Flex and PremiumFlex tickets have a higher allowance. I cannot see anything that suggests that the allowance varies by the date of ticket purchase.

My experience of other airlines changing their cabin baggage allowances is that it has been effective for every passenger from the same date, regardless of when they bought their ticket. Do you have any reason to believe that Norwegian is any different?

Checked baggage allowances are different, because they are contractual.

Disregard all the nasty comments on here. They hate it when people get bargains with cruise/choice air and budget flights.

Who is "they"? That's an odd comment. Most FFs here know very well how to play the airfare game, and could care less what anyone pays.

Disregard all the nasty comments on here. They hate it when people get bargains with cruise/choice air and budget flights.
Who is "they"? That's an odd comment. Most FFs here know very well how to play the airfare game, and could care less what anyone pays.
I suspect that the FFs here to whom maryann2 is referring get more bargains every year than some other posters get in a decade!

The one thing that may be different is that experienced FFs know that there's a difference between something that's cheap and something that's a bargain.

I few with them round trip in the last 2 weeks. YES they did weight some carry on bags, with several people getting out of line to "repack". They were also charging for bags over 20kg. They didn't seem to be overlooking the policies. This was out of Gatwick and Copenhagen. All food and drink was a charge, nothing comp.