Would you care?

hotsauce126

Would you care?  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Would you care?

• Yes, I would find it rude.
    • No, I wouldn't care.

We good. You telling me you are "direct" explains a lot. You and I are about as opposite, personality wise, as it gets. Yes, I am the "sensitive" type, as you have correctly LABELED me. You seem to be the insensitive type. In all honestly, our kinds do not mix well. I'll refrain from engaging with you in the future. Nothing good would come of it.

you capitalized the word "LABELED", like that is a bad thing....yet you LABELED me as insensitive. Based on what? an admitted extrovert? If someone is direct or an extrovert, they have to be insensitive? :confused:

Edited by First and Ten

I'd be relieved. I've been in this situation myself where one of the couples I was sitting with were very religious and talking to the wait staff about accepting Jesus and it was very uncomfortable. I at least could excuse myself as it was at the end of the meal but the waiters could not.

Unlike the wait staff you got to have the last supper with them.

Rude = yes. If you want to move because you want a window seat, or a table for two or any other reasons, please let us know. It's just a polite thing to do. I was at a table, where a large group was split up, and these 2 people were "misplaced" at our table. Found out 4 other member were also misplaced, and their request to sit together at 2 tables was messed up. They were very nice, about it, but did let us know, they were discussing it with the ship, to see if it can get fixed. Yes, I moved to a new table, and completely understood the reason. It was nice knowing the reason.

My other issue would be sitting at a large table for 8 and always being the only 2 people at dinner. Would be nice if the cruise line have a method of handling this when it happens, like you can opt out of the MDR so the seats can be better assigned and let them do MTD only.

Well, this just happened to us on our last cruise, sort of. Table for 7, all 7 seated first night. It was a couple, mid 50s, another 50-ish couple and her father, and me and my mother, although we all seemed to click. Not all that much in common, but it worked but we found out the 3rd night or so after they did not show up in the mdr twice, that they moved to a two-top near a window. It was the late seating, and the dining room was half empty anyway so easy to accommodate them. Anyway, people may move just because they want a different setting, maybe not that they dislike the people they sit with. I have asked to have my table moved before as well. No offense taken by any of us at our table as we understood why the others moved and we had a great time every night at our table with the extra room for the rest of the cruise. Besides, who wants to sit with people they do not like at dinner during what is supposed to be a fun cruise and dining experience?

I wouldn't care. Ive had rude and obnoxious tablemates and moved. Ive moved just cause. I've had others move. I don't feel I owe them an explanation or they owe me one. I make sure to let the waitstaff know so they won't be waiting on me each evening. And I hope the tablemates who leave do the same.

It drives me crazy when people think I owe them something. I don't owe you anything. All you need to know is I'm not sitting there any longer. Period point blank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Edited by cynt

you capitalized the word "LABELED", like that is a bad thing....yet you LABELED me as insensitive. Based on what? an admitted extrovert? If someone is direct or an extrovert, they have to be insensitive? :confused:

No, extroverts are not in general insensitive. Some are, just as some introverts are insensitive. But in my experience, the people who like to think of themselves as "direct" ARE generally insensitive. Being right trumps being considerate for them. Putting their infallible opinions out there trumps being considerate. I've known a few "direct" folks. Maybe it isn't the case 100% of the time, but life experience tells me it's a safe assumption. When someone demonstrates otherwise to me, I'll stop assuming it.

It has been a long time since we were seated with others, I think July of 2006, and I miss it. We always request a large table but since we are traveling with our kids we get a table for four.

Way back in the past, the second cruise we ever went on, my wife and I were seated at a table for 10. Four of the people did not speak english. Conversation was awkward and the six of us talked while the four of them talked.

The next night when my wife and I sat down there was an entirely different group of 8 people. I guess all the others had complained. We ended up having a great time at dinner with the new group and liked to joke that we had driven away the others.

No, extroverts are not in general insensitive. Some are, just as some introverts are insensitive. But in my experience, the people who like to think of themselves as "direct" ARE generally insensitive. Being right trumps being considerate for them. Putting their infallible opinions out there trumps being considerate. I've known a few "direct" folks. Maybe it isn't the case 100% of the time, but life experience tells me it's a safe assumption. When someone demonstrates otherwise to me, I'll stop assuming it.

I never claimed I was right and you were wrong....I answered one way on the poll, you probably answered the other....its opinion as opposed to fact

Edited by First and Ten

I never claimed I was right and you were wrong....I answered one way on the poll, you probably answered the other....its opinion as opposed to fact

Would I care, probably not that much....Would I find it rude, absolutely

The "Bubble" mentality annoys me when you are on a cruise. If you want your "own little world", don't go on a cruise....Rent a remote cabin someplace so you don't have to see anyone. That is not the scene on a cruise ship....if you don't like strangers, don't cruise, real simple

We get it that you have an opinion, but when your opinion is (under cover of an on-line forum) rude to a sub-set of cruisers it does become fodder for others to "judge" you since you are, in fact, judging others.

We get it that you have an opinion, but when your opinion is (under cover of an on-line forum) rude to a sub-set of cruisers it does become fodder for others to "judge" you since you are, in fact, judging others.

Dutch, you seem to be fishing for an argument due to fact you have been quoting my last few responses....maybe its a slow day at the senior center....so far I have played Elsa and "Let it Go", but what the heck....

We are all "under cover", unless Sweet Dutch Girl is your given name. Rude? who was I rude to? I didn't judge anyone.....I said I would find that action rude (per the poll). If you don't, hey, that's cool

Edited by First and Ten

Nope, wouldn't care. Our first cruise we had tablemates whom we met the first night and didn't see again until the last night. They were about 20 years younger than us and not married, good solid blue-collar folks from Philly. We were married 20 years and white collar (US Navy Officer and wife). We got along just fine, but it was obvious that they were not comfortable with the "forced" requirement to be sociable with strangers over dinner for 5 nights in a row.

Then last time on Pride we had a table for four but our mates never made an appearance so we had the table to ourselves the whole week. I enjoy meeting new folks, but I can see how other folks might be very uncomfortable being forced to interact with strangers, especially if there's little to nothing in common.

Dutch, you seem to be fishing for an argument due to fact you have been just quoting my responses....maybe its a slow day at the senior center....so far I have played Elsa and "Let it Go", but what the heck....

We are all "under cover", unless Sweet Dutch Girl is your given name. Rude? who was I rude to? I didn't judge anyone.....I said I would find that action rude. If you don't, hey, that's cool

You assume way too much....and, even though you don't think your words were rude about a ship not being the place for those "who like to be in their own little world" you were. Typed words can often make others feel uncomfortable and that is all I was pointing out. And, thanks for (however unintentionally) disparaging folks who actually live in a senior center...I'm sure they understand the intent of those words just fine. Have a nice day.

You assume way too much....and, even though you don't think your words were rude about a ship not being the place for those "who like to be in their own little world" you were. Typed words can often make others feel uncomfortable and that is all I was pointing out. And, thanks for (however unintentionally) disparaging folks who actually live in a senior center...I'm sure they understand the intent of those words just fine. Have a nice day.

You as well....paint by numbers at 7 pm? :D

Edited by First and Ten

Would I care, probably not that much....Would I find it rude, absolutely

The "Bubble" mentality annoys me when you are on a cruise. If you want your "own little world", don't go on a cruise....Rent a remote cabin someplace so you don't have to see anyone. That is not the scene on a cruise ship....if you don't like strangers, don't cruise, real simple

That's kind of rude. We have health issues I wouldn't wish on anyone. We love meeting new people but can't eat much. And we shouldn't have to explain that to you or anyone else we are assigned to eat with. A table for two works better for us.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If we had nothing in common, I think it would be unfair to both of us to sit together. A cruise is supposed to be enjoyable for all of us. Should they choose to get another table, or should we, I would hope that the empty spots at the table would be filled with someone more companionable.

I think it would be more rude to say to the others, we have nothing in common, so we are asking for a new table. I'd be so embarrassed even if it were true.

Edited by katiel53

Third choice option: I'd be relieved and thankful.

THIS absolutely!!!

We always ask for a private table for the 3 of us anyway and have been able to get one on each cruise.

We don't mind talking and interacting with others and find it interesting to speak with people from all over in most cases. For us dinner time is our talk about our day time and interact with just us as a family.

We tend to be selfish about this time period and it is something we look forward to.

Say you went to the MDR on the first night of the cruise, and you had two strangers as tablemates. You didn't have much in common (different age groups, languages, whatever) and the next night you noticed they had spoken to the Maitre D and got a new, private table. Would you care? Would you take offense to it?

EDIT: The title was supposed to read "Would you care"

Have done this ourselves, and had done to us. No I didn't care and No I didn't take offense.

On one cruise we actually sat with the family that we changed tables on at the comedy club and had a wonderful time. They never asked why we changed, and we never discussed it.

We had a table for 9 on our last cruise and one of the families of 3 bailed out and had their own table the last few nights. The wife didn't seem like she wanted to be there anyway, and the husband and son weren't very chatty.

Plus, she was giving death glares to the other group of 3 at our table when they saw her around the ship at various times.

My parents would greet her as we walked by her and nothing... so.. no, I don't really care if people like that want a different table. Whatever makes them happy.