Eastern or Western???? Please Help!

rocky555

Have you considered the 11 night western Ultimate Caribbean cruise which goes to costa rica, panama, columbia, cozomel and Grand Cayman. Each of those ports are very different...unlike the Caribbean islands that are essentially the same experience. If I had to pick between the two cruises you've asked about, I'd pick the eastern caribbean like most others.

Hi! I am looking to do the Equinox next summer. (I just did the Summit to Bermuda and love Celebrity!!). I am wondering which itinerary is better. The Eastern goes to San Juan, St. Thomas, and St. Martin. The Western goes to Key West, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman.

I am going with my teenage daughter. We usually like to divide our port time between relaxing beach day one port, and fun activity another port, like snorkeling, cave swimming, etc. Of the ports, I have been to St. Martin where we did the all day tour. (Forgot the name, it was sightseeing and beach time.)

Of the above ports, which has the prettiest beach. I like to go to a nice hotel that does day passes if possible, like the Elbow Beach Resort in Bermuda. Thank you for advice!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I would suggest Western Caribbean. Your teenage daughter would love the Stingray City excursion. The stingrays are huge and it is so much fun to feed them in the open ocean from your hands. Sounds dangerous but there is no danger involved whatsoever.

Hi! I am looking to do the Equinox next summer. (I just did the Summit to Bermuda and love Celebrity!!). I am wondering which itinerary is better. The Eastern goes to San Juan, St. Thomas, and St. Martin. The Western goes to Key West, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman.

I am going with my teenage daughter. We usually like to divide our port time between relaxing beach day one port, and fun activity another port, like snorkeling, cave swimming, etc. Of the ports, I have been to St. Martin where we did the all day tour. (Forgot the name, it was sightseeing and beach time.)

Of the above ports, which has the prettiest beach. I like to go to a nice hotel that does day passes if possible, like the Elbow Beach Resort in Bermuda. Thank you for advice!!!

I think teen-aged daughters will find a lot to LOVE in Key West...there's history, beaches, shopping, eating and the sunset theater is unbeatable!! For myself though, I love the Eastern ports and St Maarten is wonderful for shopping, jewelry, beaches and the Bitch Bar, which is a boat load of fun and good food and it's close to the ferry that brings you to the ship...and of course if they like scuba diving they'll be in paradise.

Have you considered the 11 night western Ultimate Caribbean cruise which goes to costa rica, panama, columbia, cozomel and Grand Cayman. Each of those ports are very different...unlike the Caribbean islands that are essentially the same experience. If I had to pick between the two cruises you've asked about, I'd pick the eastern caribbean like most others.

I have to do in the summer when my daughter is out of school, and the 11 day is a little to long for me to be away. I want to thank everyone for their input!!! It has helped me a lot!!!!! I love Cruise Critic!!

Hi! I am looking to do the Equinox next summer. (I just did the Summit to Bermuda and love Celebrity!!). I am wondering which itinerary is better. The Eastern goes to San Juan, St. Thomas, and St. Martin. The Western goes to Key West, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman. I am going with my teenage daughter. We usually like to divide our port time between relaxing beach day one port, and fun activity another port, like snorkeling, cave swimming, etc. Of the ports, I have been to St. Martin where we did the all day tour. (Forgot the name, it was sightseeing and beach time.)

For what you and your daughter want ... Please do consider the WESTERN. :)

For what you and your daughter want ... Please do consider the WESTERN. :)

What excursions would you recommend on the Western? Do you know any place that has a nice hotel day pass? Thank you!

I actually think you'd like the Western. Grand Cayman - stingray city definitely. In Cozumel, the snorkeling is amazing if you go on a boat tour out to the reef. I haven't heard great things about Costa Maya but have never been there. The beaches a little north from there are nice but don't know about the port. If there are cenotes nearby, those can be amazing. Some are cave-like. There are also Mayan ruins. I've always wanted to see Key West. Don't get me wrong - I love Eastern too and have seen all of those. San Juan you'll probably tour old town and the forts most likely. St Thomas has nice beaches or you can take a ferry to St John which is spectacular. I'm unusual in that I didn't care for St Martin - way too crowded - but I'm sure it depends on how many ships are there.

Guess you really can't go wrong. :-)

To each his or her own, but as for me and DH, we absolutely loved Emerald Beach on St. Thomas for a serene beach day. Even considered booking a week there for another visit. Have been to the other ports listed and really do prefer eastern itineraries. After the initial visit and tour, a laidback day on a subsequent visit is our ideal and Emerald Beach was perfect!

Hi

We chose the Western itinerary for next summer. I like the ports better on that one.

Thank you for answering! If I do the Eastern, which has the nicest beach? I prefer to get a hotel pass for the day where it is not that crowded and have nicer a entities than other beaches. I don't mind if it costs more. Also, which place would have something fun to do? Like horseback riding? I did the all day excursion in St. Maarten, so I would prefer to do something different. If I do end up doing the Western, same questions for you. Thank you again for your help!!

We love the Eastern route. For beaches, St. Thomas has Magens Bay Beach. It's beautiful, but crowded.

On our last cruise to St. Maarten, we did the Americas Cup yacht race. It was a blast. You can participate as a "crew member" or you can just ride along. I was the "winch wench." :) One of the best excursions we have ever done. I think the 17 & 21 yr olds would love it.

St. Maarten also has many beaches to choose from. The "famous" Orient Beach; Maho Beach, right next to the airport and the planes take off and land right over the beach; Mullet Bay beach is our favorite. it is on the Dutch side, and I believe you can get a taxi to and from the beach, but you might want to make sure. :D There are many resorts, I'm not sure if any have day passes, because we have never looked into it.

Which ever itinerary you choose, have a great time. :)

I prefer Western, but you can not go wrong with either. I have never done the Western with your exact itinerary. I think Key West can be a fun day. I loved being able to walk off the ship and really do my own thing. No excursion necessary. We have not done Costa Maya per se, , but have taken the hydrofoil from Cozumel to the mainland twice. If you have not been to Mexico, visiting one of the ruins sites is a must do and should be much easier without having to take the ferry. Grand Caymen is not my favorite port at this point, but loved the Stingray City trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here's a post about a Carnival passenger robbed at gunpoint in Belize.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2016/09/articles/crime/carnival-passenger-robbed-at-port-in-belize/

On September 13, 2016, a passenger on the Carnival Magic was robbed at gunpoint at the port of Belize. We received the following information from the passenger:

"We were at the port next to the belize sign taking pictures. A vendor selling wood and jewelry was trying to sell us some of his handmade work when a male on a bicycle threw down his bike and pointed a gun at me. He then put it under his shirt when my friend turned around. My friend thought it was a joke and wasn't cooperating that's when the man pulled the gun back out racked it and pointed it at us. He told us to empty our pockets. My friend gave him 15$ all he had left and I gave him 25$ he then saw my phone and told me to give it to him. I delayed giving to him as I was thinking about my options. After a few moments I decided it wasn't worth it and gave it to him. He then started yelling at my friend to give him his wallet which he did not have. The man then asked where it was my friend replied in my room. Finally the male said don't make this a big deal and got back on his bike and rolled away. I preceded to run to the first police officer I could find and let them know what happened. The police had several officer driving around in cars and motorcycles trying to find the assailant. They told us it was the 1st time in 2 years this happened in or by the port. They could not locate him and took us to the police station where we gave statements and made reports. 2 hrs later they took us back to the port where we went back on the ship and made report to carnival. They said it never happens. Made report to guest services then wrote statement to security and told me to call corporate office when I get off ship. Called the office they did not seem to care much and I told them why do they go to unsafe ports their reply was this never happens. To future cruisers I would suggest to not get off on this port."

This could happen anywhere. Do you think you're safer in the U.S.?

I made no comment regarding the article. Just shared it for information. It could happen anywhere, correct. But it happens some places more than others. Whether this is one of those places, I don't know. Why are you so defensive?

And actually I do feel safer in the U.S. because I can legally carry in the U.S. if I want to but can't in other countries. :p

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I made no comment regarding the article. Just shared it for information. It could happen anywhere, correct. But it happens some places more than others. Whether this is one of those places, I don't know. Why are you so defensive?

And actually I do feel safer in the U.S. because I can legally carry in the U.S. if I want to but can't in other countries. :p

Touché

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk