Free bottle of wine clarification

ashevillenccruiser

Hello

We are aware of free bottle of wine in specialty restaurants on the first day of the cruise. We are also aware we cannot stomach it.

We are hearing now that you can also take 50% off a bottle of wine of your choice. Can anyone clarify if that is limited to one bottle?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have purchased 4 bottles at 50% off each the first day on 2 different ships (Breeze and Liberty). However, on both ships, they opened each bottle then recorked them. They held them in the "cellar" for us to request at subsequent dinners. They would not let us walk off with intact bottles.

We have purchased 4 bottles at 50% off each the first day on 2 different ships (Breeze and Liberty). However, on both ships, they opened each bottle then recorked them. They held them in the "cellar" for us to request at subsequent dinners. They would not let us walk off with intact bottles.

Could you have them sent to the DR?

Hello

We are aware of free bottle of wine in specialty restaurants on the first day of the cruise. We are also aware we cannot stomach it.

We are hearing now that you can also take 50% off a bottle of wine of your choice. Can anyone clarify if that is limited to one bottle?

Thanks!

Have you had it?

Sorry I should have asked in the original post, but does the offer hold at other specialty restaurants i.e. Cucina del Capitano

On the Sunshine this month, we were not able to get wine at 50% off in Cucina, only the free bottle. We were told that they had not rolled that particular special out to the restaurants other than the steakhouse yet.

On the Miracle in December, we bought 4 bottles total at 50% off. Drank 2 there and took the other 2 back to our room for the next couple of nights. They did require that all the bottles be opened in the steakhouse.

Not really a problem as so many wines sold in the steakhouse have screw tops. We drank the free Santa Catalina Merlot the first night. It wasn't that bad. For our second steakhouse dinner we bought a bottle a Tempranillo/Cabernet blend that was quite good. We didn't finish it, so just screwed on the lid and took it back to the cabin. We took it to dinner the next night and they served it with no questions asked.

The freebies on our last 3 cruises:

Chardonnay

Merlot

Neither very good, though we've always drank them during the dinner.

This cruise however, I will take advantage of the 50% discount and choose one of my own - I didn't know about this before! Thanks Cruise Critic folks!!

Hello

Thanks!

From my experience the house wines are not so great. I always go for the 50% deal. Also, as far as I have personally experienced, you can only get as many bottles as there are people at your table on that night.

For example, my best friend and I are cruising with my mother and her bf next year. My mom and her bf aren't big wine drinkers, so I will use their body count to purchase 3 bottles of wine @ 50% off for myself for the trip (my best friend will purchase one for herself). I've used this knowledge + the free bring on board bottles + cruise the vineyard package to keep myself wine tipsy all cruise long!

I was in the steakhouse the first night and I asked to try the white wine as it was a Chardonnay and I usually hate Chardonnay as it is too oakey for my. They let me have a taste and it was actually pretty good. So instead of buying a bottle at 50% of I went ahead and had the free bottle. So my suggestion is to ask for a taste of the wine before you spend an additional $25. Glad I did as that saved me some money.

Very interesting post. Does any one know of a wine list on the net that we may take a look at? We try to go to the steak house the first night as a rule. Always a good dinner. We also always buy a wine package for the week. Last cruise we brought 2 bottles home with us. If we can buy 3 bottle at 50% off that would be our wine for the week of dinners.