Spring Break Airfare

woopuppy

We are traveling in March 2017. I have never traveled during Spring Break time. My question is for anyone who has flown during this time. Will airfare go down any? I realize this is a busy time for flying. Thanks!

With the consolidation of the major airlines, anytime is a busy time for flying. Airfare is what it is and does not fluctuate much. Spring break is a season that lasts from the end of February until at least a week after western Easter. If you are concerned about airfare try different airports, but as long as you are flying into vacation destinations it is always high. Consider flying into a less popular destination and renting a car. You might save quiet a bit.

As with any other product or service, the cost of air fare reflects demand. Flying at peak travel times cost more. Flying from, or to, certain airports costs more than from or to certain other airports, Flying on certain days of the week costs more than certain other days. It really pays to shop around well in advance of your planned travel - consider different departure and arrival airports, different days of the week, as well as different airlines, check as many variables as you can to get a feel for options - then, even though you might pay more than you want to, you will have the best chance of paying the least.

My wife and I have the luxury of free time- so, for our upcoming Thanksgiving trip from NY to Houston we have settled on flying out of LGA ( rather than the less congested, but more expensive JFK) on the Monday before, and flying back on the Saturday after, rather than the Sunday or Monday after. The difference is many hundreds of dollars in fare - not to mention avoiding the most crowded travel days - which are generally the most expensive: making them doubly unattractive.

We are traveling in March 2017. I have never traveled during Spring Break time. My question is for anyone who has flown during this time. Will airfare go down any? I realize this is a busy time for flying. Thanks!

I am flying from Hartford to Orlando over April break, and the airfare cost me $500pp/rt when I booked back in early August with Southwest. They weren't even flights at the times I wanted - I had to settle for crappy times to keep the fare that low. I've been monitoring fares for drops in case I can get some back in future travel credit. They've only increased. I'm literally paying twice the highest fare to Florida I've ever paid prior to now, and it would only have been worse if I'd waited. My advice would be to book sooner rather than later.

Hopper is a good app, also try ITA MATRIX . It's a search engine that lets you see different airports, routing, combinations, etc that sometime work out really well! I always google for a coupon code before making the purchase too - saved more than a few bucks this way! I disagree with the PP who said the airfare will only go up. The route I am watching has remained within $10 for the past 2 weeks - I am waiting for a drop to pull the trigger. It's gambling, but I know my legacy carrier has only extended their flight sales until Feb 8th thus far. So I wait. Good Luck!!

The airline we usually use has some great sales but when ya plug in the dates the sale price doesn't include those dates even though they are not "blacked out". We would normally not travel at this time but we are the "Responsible Adults" for 3 college kids on Spring Break! LOL Thats how they sweet talked my husband and I into going. :) I know I will pay more during this time but don't want to spend half the price of the cruise per person on airfare either. I looked into other airlines but once you factor in the baggage charge I might as well just keep watching our airline of choice!

We generally take a cruise for spring break. You do need to get a bit creative. Be willing to fly on a day or at a time when typical spring breakers aren't. If this is for a Miami-area cruise, make sure to look at all of MIA/FLL/PBI airports. Look at other airports near you if that makes sense. Consider staying a few days before or after your cruise to travel on a lighter day.

We've never paid substantially more for air during this time, but we do have fewer choices than at other times of the year.

I was just going to suggest the very same thing. We were looking for Boston to Orlando on Jet Blue for late March but found better rates from Providence, RI to Orlando. Hopper sent me an alert on the day it was the best time to purchase these tickets.

have you tried pricing ft Lauderdale instead of miami

I feel your pain. We originally wanted to cruise mid march, but airfares were outrageous, putting the trip outside of our vacation budget. We switched to the first week in March and are flying into and out of Fort Lauderdale and could get $412 round trip airfares on Southwest. The cruise was $200 pp less for that week too.

I don't know if SW is a choice for you, but the nice thing about them is that if fares go down, you can rebook without a penalty and use extra monies in the form of a travel voucher for another flight within a year of your original booking date. Since we fly Southwest a lot this is great for us. SW also does not have luggage fees for the first two bags.

I agree that it will only increase. Last year, I had a March break wedding in Naples Fl. Everything was more expensive. We paid twice as much for air fare than I usually do in December. My advice is to book everything you need early. Air fare, shuttles and hotels.

I will not travel March break again.

I'd advise you to look at the fares of the airline of your chose and, if the fare is in your budget, purchase the tickets. The closer you get to the date of cruise sailing the higher the plane fare may be. I know some hotel prices are quite high for spring break.

Just an update! I just managed to book our round trip flight from PIT to FLL for $234 per person! I am so relieved and excited I found this GREAT airfare price. Thanks for all your responses and advice.