Frustrated with Upsell Program

southt00

I don't think that's the problem. There's a product (haven) that a segment that I fall into prefers. People like me are willing to pay more than what one would pay as an upsell, but feel that the current full asking price is outside of the value curve.

I can't see how this current strategy could be to NCL's benefit. People like me are upset because people are getting upsells to the cabin that I would pay more for up-front if it had been offered at that price.

On the other side, it is also lowering the perceived value of the product because they clearly are no filling all of the suites at current pricing. People who pay full price get irritated because they feel like they "overpaid" or got a "bad deal" if they paid double what someone else is paying.

Pretty much every other cabin class does fall at a reasonable value as far as I can tell, it's simply not the product that I want, so price is irrelevant.

This is my thought as well. As a self avowed capitalist, a company needs to set a value for your product and let it stand. You don't retain loyalty by undercutting those willing to pay your advertised price, and you don't gain new loyalty by creating gimmicks to make people thing they got more than they paid for.

Set the price, and let the market work. You'll eventually find the sweet spot where all parties feel like they got a good deal.

The bidding war will also have an effect on those who lose the bid: "but My friend Nancy put in the same bid for the same upsell last month and got it, why wasn't mine accepted? I bought an inside cabin expecting to upgrade to Haven for $750, now I'm stuck!"

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is where I personally wouldn't book a cabin I wouldn't be happy with just for the hopes of an upsell. If I wish to cruise and the inside is all I can afford I am more than content with it. I have sailed in insides, oceanviews, balconies and suites, they are all based on price when I booked. I have an upcoming RCL cruise in an inside because it is at a price point that allows me to cruise. I however watch the higher categories, if they happen to have price drops then great, if they don't I don't mind what I already have. Same goes with our Australia cruise we booked an inside as that allows us to actually be able to do the trip.

Again we don't have to have a suite or a balcony, we are truly happy to be able to just take a vacation at all.

NCL overprices the suites because they know full well you have the crazies out there that gotta have it and will pay that price. They sell quite a few at an overinflated cost, which allows them to them sell the last few deeply discounted and it is a win win for them as they got more money and it frees up another cabin for them to sell as an upsell and again they get more money and then it frees up another cabin. Trust me they don't in any way lose money on their upsells. Right now our sailing has 2 suites free, of which I am only aware of 1 being sold as an upsell. Others went at their going rate.

It would not surprise me at all if other factors weigh in on which "bids" win. Assuming NCL tracks the additional $ spent on board for dining, drinks, excursions, etc., I think they may be able to work the new bid system much like CAS works its comps. For instance, multiple bids received all within a similar range, the bid from a cruiser with a higher per night additional $ spent on board history is likely to become the winning bidder, even if not technically the highest bid within the acceptable range. Done in this manner it will be a much more efficient method to get the bigger spenders happily on board.

Hello. I enjoy sailing with NCL but will only sail with Haven cabins. Yes, I've been spoiled. I would love to sail with NCL in the winter but the prices of Haven cabins have skyrocketed out of our reach. We are Canadian so we need to add 30% (ish) to the current prices. The Canadian at Par doesn't work because it removes all of the 'Free' items like the drink package so once we add them back in at US$, the price gap narrows.

Here is my frustration. They prices are inflated. The cabins sit empty and then they offer an upsell for cheaper than if someone booked them directly in the first place. I could pay this huge price while others have paid much cheaper. I can't play the game as I wouldn't be happy in a cabin outside of the Haven. I would much rather NCL charge an equitable price for the cabin and allow them fill like every other cabin. Everyone just waits them out now.

Got that off my chest. I feel better now.

T.

Having only sailed in two bedroom family haven villa on the Breakaway i feel your pain..i got in the cabin through an amazing upsell $500 per person on first two...our son was free...

Here is the beauty of the Haven...it is out of reach for "most" people. and that is what makes it exceptional...cause you are away from "most" of the 4000 other passengers...

that said...book a mid ship mini (like we did) and 30 days out start calling the upsell department.

remember this...its the high price that makes it (the Haven) feel special..and when someone gets a cabin in the exclusive area at a mega discount...they sometimes dont know how to act...so they may ask the boards something like "what can i ask my butler to do?" or should i tip above the DSC for the butler and concierge..?

I will never forget...in my first year of playing pro football for the Dallas Cowboys (1997-2000) Jerry Jones pulled me aside right before we ran out on the field to do warm ups and stretching and he said to me..."Mark, when you score your first NFL touchdown..please..act like you have been there before.."

Best,

Mark

Hello. I enjoy sailing with NCL but will only sail with Haven cabins. Yes, I've been spoiled. I would love to sail with NCL in the winter but the prices of Haven cabins have skyrocketed out of our reach. We are Canadian so we need to add 30% (ish) to the current prices. The Canadian at Par doesn't work because it removes all of the 'Free' items like the drink package so once we add them back in at US$, the price gap narrows.

Here is my frustration. They prices are inflated. The cabins sit empty and then they offer an upsell for cheaper than if someone booked them directly in the first place. I could pay this huge price while others have paid much cheaper. I can't play the game as I wouldn't be happy in a cabin outside of the Haven. I would much rather NCL charge an equitable price for the cabin and allow them fill like every other cabin. Everyone just waits them out now.

Got that off my chest. I feel better now.

T.

Many have found MSC's Yacht Club to be a good alternative to The Haven.

We booked our first cruise with MSC in April of next year for this very reason. We wanted a suite for 3 girls (have been fortunate enough to do this on NCL before) but the prices were 1000 more per person than we paid before. We just couldn't justify it. MSC Yacht Club was the same price we used to pay for suites on NCL. We are happy to give them a try.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We booked our first cruise with MSC in April of next year for this very reason. We wanted a suite for 3 girls (have been fortunate enough to do this on NCL before) but the prices were 1000 more per person than we paid before. We just couldn't justify it. MSC Yacht Club was the same price we used to pay for suites on NCL. We are happy to give them a try.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This thread is timely! Went to book Haven for March 2017 and the pricing is out of sight. Can we afford it? Yes. We will pay it? No. The value just isn't there at that price.

I remember having read about MSC's status match - so immediately popped over to that site and am now booked in a YC room (haven equivalent) for almost 50% less.

I won't resort to bidding if that program rolls out at NCL. Price the d#mn Haven rooms appropriately and I'll book. If not, see ya.

I am 3 years away from being able to book last minute!! Hate to wish my life away, but hurry up retirement!!

YA Never Know!!

I entered into a unforeseen disability retirement 8 years before I planned to.

Edited by biker@sea

YA Never Know!!

I entered into a unforeseen disability retirement 8 years before I planned to.

Sorry about your disability, but happy you can still cruise. When I retire, I am thinking about applying for a job at Black Falcon checking cruisers in!! I will be a young 60 when I retire, and this would be a fun job!! (my dad retired from the phone co and worked at fenway as an usher for 15 years, retirement jobs should be fun)

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Forums mobile app

Until I read this.....

After 6 p.m., jeans, T-shirts and shorts are not permitted in the ships' public areas

I absolutely refuse to be told what to wear when I am paying my own way on vacation. Other than nothing offensive or inappropriate of course.

I don't think that's the problem. There's a product (haven) that a segment that I fall into prefers. People like me are willing to pay more than what one would pay as an upsell, but feel that the current full asking price is outside of the value curve.

I can't see how this current strategy could be to NCL's benefit. People like me are upset because people are getting upsells to the cabin that I would pay more for up-front if it had been offered at that price.

On the other side, it is also lowering the perceived value of the product because they clearly are no filling all of the suites at current pricing. People who pay full price get irritated because they feel like they "overpaid" or got a "bad deal" if they paid double what someone else is paying.

Pretty much every other cabin class does fall at a reasonable value as far as I can tell, it's simply not the product that I want, so price is irrelevant.

I absolutely agree with you on this. In fact, I could have written it myself. I love to cruise NCL suites and have done so numerous times. I think they do an awesome job. Like you, it's not a matter of whether or not I can afford it, it's a value thing. The haven and suites in general are overpriced, and I don't care to play the game. If they were reasonable outright, I would have already booked a cruise for January (I'm typically late booking). However, knowing that I can save a grand by waiting and bidding later is annoying and has me looking at other options. I just want to book the vacation I want to enjoy and be done with it. Just price them fairly and I will book up front. Fair is not paying a grand more because I book 30 days before someone else has a opportunity to bid on the same space for less. Though the cabins appear to be booked or sold out before final payment, how many hold on to those reservations? BTW, this post was for NCL. I know they read the boards.

I don't know who told you about no t-shirts or shorts after 6PM. Not true. They aren't allowed in the restaurants, except the buffet. A lot of people go back to the cabin after dinner, and change back into whatever they want to wear.