Frustrated with Upsell Program

southt00

Hello. I enjoy sailing with NCL but will only sail with Haven cabins. Yes, I've been spoiled. I would love to sail with NCL in the winter but the prices of Haven cabins have skyrocketed out of our reach. We are Canadian so we need to add 30% (ish) to the current prices. The Canadian at Par doesn't work because it removes all of the 'Free' items like the drink package so once we add them back in at US$, the price gap narrows.

Here is my frustration. They prices are inflated. The cabins sit empty and then they offer an upsell for cheaper than if someone booked them directly in the first place. I could pay this huge price while others have paid much cheaper. I can't play the game as I wouldn't be happy in a cabin outside of the Haven. I would much rather NCL charge an equitable price for the cabin and allow them fill like every other cabin. Everyone just waits them out now.

Got that off my chest. I feel better now.

T.

I totally agree. I paid Suite and Haven prices for years. After realizing NCL was upselling the same cabins for 1/2 what I paid I said "No more". I book low level rooms and try for the upsell. You have to be willing to sail where you book though. I think NCL is working on a new price model so hopefully things will change.

But it's my understand that with an upset, you don't receive some of the perks? In other words. When I was offered an upsell a few days ago for $500 each, they told me I would keep my current perks (UBP and UDP) but would not get the free wifi and free gratuities. I declined the upsell. Does anyone know if this is true, that you don't get the additional perks with an upsell?

But it's my understand that with an upset, you don't receive some of the perks? In other words. When I was offered an upsell a few days ago for $500 each, they told me I would keep my current perks (UBP and UDP) but would not get the free wifi and free gratuities. I declined the upsell. Does anyone know if this is true, that you don't get the additional perks with an upsell?

That is true. If you get an upsell, your perks at time of original booking apply. If you pay for an upgrade, then you would receive current perks.

Edited by Cubechick

Yes, that is true. Not getting wifi or shore excursions is a very small small price to pay for getting the cabin half price. You need to book with the best one or two promos from the beginning and just keep them.

Now that NCL has started a bidding program, people are wondering if that is going to replace the upsell dept. Might this also mean that price drops will be a thing of the past? I certainly hope not, because I was going to do my next booking about 30 days out in hopes of getting a reasonable price on the haven.

Yes, that is true. Not getting wifi or shore excursions is a very small small price to pay for getting the cabin half price. You need to book with the best one or two promos from the beginning and just keep them.

You're also paying the gratuity on the UBP perk (and SDP?), which the suite bookings are not. All small items, but they start to add up.

Edited by TheDougOut

The frustration that the OP feels is shared by many. It seems that something drastic is coming with the bid process coming in and the upsell process going out.

I have been lucky to book early but I've seen Haven prices continue to climb. Even if the included gratuities was for all 4, it didn't make sense for me to cancel and rebook since the price increase was so much.

Sometimes, it's better to book the exact stateroom that you want an pay the price. Luckily, I prefer the less expensive H6 vs. the H4. Sadly, I'm very picky when it comes to room configuration and deck.

I don't let what others paid bother me. Great for them if they got a good deal.

I too would rather NCL find the sweet spot for pricing the Haven instead of practically giving away upsells and collecting bids where folks chance a low ball bid. (Hey, I would too, what the heck?). How many have reported putting in the minimum 300$ bid for spa suite under the new bidding program? Who knows how it will play out, but still ...

I hate that Haven access has become the worst combination of EBay and Priceline. Price it right to start with, and stop resorting to gimmicks to fill the rooms you couldn't at inflated prices. It cheapens the appearance of the product. Under these conditions, unless you wanted a specific room, why would anyone pay full price?

Why would you think you should get everything folks paid a premium for while you were highly discounted?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You're also paying the gratuity on the UBP perk (and SDP?), which the suite bookings are not. All small items, but they start to add up.

Yes, agreed, but still adds up to nowhere near paying full price for the suite.

Hello. I enjoy sailing with NCL but will only sail with Haven cabins. Yes, I've been spoiled. I would love to sail with NCL in the winter but the prices of Haven cabins have skyrocketed out of our reach. We are Canadian so we need to add 30% (ish) to the current prices. The Canadian at Par doesn't work because it removes all of the 'Free' items like the drink package so once we add them back in at US$, the price gap narrows.

Here is my frustration. They prices are inflated. The cabins sit empty and then they offer an upsell for cheaper than if someone booked them directly in the first place. I could pay this huge price while others have paid much cheaper. I can't play the game as I wouldn't be happy in a cabin outside of the Haven. I would much rather NCL charge an equitable price for the cabin and allow them fill like every other cabin. Everyone just waits them out now.

T.

I think of it like car's.

When they first come out for sale you can choose any color or options for full price.

11 months latter you may or may not buy what is left if any at a discount.

I think of it like car's.

When they first come out for sale you can choose any color or options for full price.

11 months latter you may or may not buy what is left if any at a discount.

Shhh. NCL is in a really tough position and doesn't really want that to get out. Sure, if you're already booked in a lower cabin they will send an email spilling the beans. Problem is it will catch up with them in the long run as it has with me. I will no longer book that suite unless I absolutely have to be in one. I'll wait and take my chances, but not necessarily with this new system. I am too leery of some of the "guarantee" cabins I might get.

T.

100% agree with you. If the suite was closer to 2.5 or 3k, I would already be booked for my next voyage. As it stands i've been waiting because I feel that they've overpriced them and i'll wait to see if they decrease to accommodate what I perceive to be the fair market price.

I've long thought it seems ridiculous to not just price the suites at a level where they get filled via normal bookings.

I do think about booking a mini suite and looking for an upsell, but then I know i'll be disappointed if I don't get one. Therefore, i'm just in a holding pattern for now, or I might explore alternatives even though i've cruised with NCL for approximately 15 years now.

I've never had so much angst over my cruise bookings to be honest with you.

I think the problem is more of saying you won't sail in anything less than the haven. If you aren't willing to take something less then pony up the asking price. Most of us are more than content to take a lower grade cabin because it allows us to take a nice vacation in the first place. An upsell to a haven cabin is a dream for us, not a must have.

I think the problem is more of saying you won't sail in anything less than the haven. If you aren't willing to take something less then pony up the asking price. Most of us are more than content to take a lower grade cabin because it allows us to take a nice vacation in the first place. An upsell to a haven cabin is a dream for us, not a must have.

You have to remember when folks say I will only sail in a haven I believe the majority of them are full of bull.

I would even go to the extreme and say the vast majority of folks on CC will only get a Haven if its a upsell.

My closing point is people on here fail to realize when NCL goes to the new Bidding system they still will have a starting price.

They are hoping folks pay more.

They would not do this so you save money they are doing this to try to make up for all the cheap haven cabins they have given in the past. This is a board room idea. These ships sail full all the time.

I don't think that's the problem. There's a product (haven) that a segment that I fall into prefers. People like me are willing to pay more than what one would pay as an upsell, but feel that the current full asking price is outside of the value curve.

I can't see how this current strategy could be to NCL's benefit. People like me are upset because people are getting upsells to the cabin that I would pay more for up-front if it had been offered at that price.

On the other side, it is also lowering the perceived value of the product because they clearly are no filling all of the suites at current pricing. People who pay full price get irritated because they feel like they "overpaid" or got a "bad deal" if they paid double what someone else is paying.

Pretty much every other cabin class does fall at a reasonable value as far as I can tell, it's simply not the product that I want, so price is irrelevant.

Edited by Ktuluorion