Panama Canal Cruise?

Maeshel

Just started looking at Panama Canal cruises for spring of 2017. Is there much to see from the ship while in the canal? ie canal operations and scenery.

I have cruised in both inside and balcony staterooms. Trying to determine if the scenery and canal operation is worth the up grade to balcony..

The thing you are going to see is only visible from the ship. It is an 8-10 non-stop hour viewing party, if you are doing a full transit. Most people would think a balcony worth it, but that doesn't mean you will. You can view from all parts of the ship, including the bow for some ships/cruise lines.

There are views from both sides of the ship, and fore and aft. When in the locks and canal, you will miss a lot if you stay on your balcony. After you've done one full transit, you can relax on your balcony for the next one. I have done two full transits, both in OV cabins. EM

We did the full transit from Los Angeles. Woke up early to see the small boats' lights at the entrance to the locks. It was interesting to go through the Pacific side locks, and then on the river - I think, the view on the "right" side of the ship (is it starboard?) was much better all the way to the lake.

We felt after the lake there was nothing more to see, so this would be the good place to get the tours. We didn't know, so stayed on the ship all the way.

Thanks to all that have replied so far.

My wife wants to do a Hawaiian Cruise and I would like to do Panama Canal.

Pretty much settle on a Hawaii cruise with Norwegian, but a good possibility of combining it with a Canal cruise out of FL. to CA and book a flight to Hawaii. Maybe a win win solution. I will have to see if I can book back to back cruises and do both. A real possibility.

I have been on 6 Caribbean Cruise, 2 balcony and 4 inside. On those cruises, I felt the balcony was not worth the extra cost. Not much to see when on the sea.

You do NOT want to plant yourself on a balcony for the transit of the canal...you want to be "out and about"...all over the ship, from top deck, to promenade...all sides of the ship...you will miss too much if you stay on your balcony. Therefore, you don't NEED a balcony at all!

And yes..there is a ton to see..very interesting, but a balcony isn't a "must"....nice, but not a "must".

We have done quite a few full transits of the Canal. Always book a verandah.

We have also been to Hawaii on our own several times. We did do one Hawaiian cruise. JMO -- you do not get enough time in the ports to really see everything on a cruise. We spent a few days in the ports when we did the land vacations.

You do NOT want to plant yourself on a balcony for the transit of the canal...you want to be "out and about"...all over the ship, from top deck, to promenade...all sides of the ship...you will miss too much if you stay on your balcony.

cb - good to know, I'll be doing my first partial transit in January so will definitely be roaming. :)

We did a partial transit that we enjoyed very much. We book a stateroom with balcony that we used every day.

During the "partial" transit part of the cruise, we stayed aboard and got out to see the operations from forward and aft as well as from our balcony. It was fascinating. We plan on doing a full transit in the future.

If you have time, you might enjoy viewing my wife's photo journal at the link below

Panama Canal Partial Transit

Thanks to all that have replied so far.

My wife wants to do a Hawaiian Cruise and I would like to do Panama Canal.

Pretty much settle on a Hawaii cruise with Norwegian, but a good possibility of combining it with a Canal cruise out of FL. to CA and book a flight to Hawaii. Maybe a win win solution. I will have to see if I can book back to back cruises and do both. A real possibility.

I have been on 6 Caribbean Cruise, 2 balcony and 4 inside. On those cruises, I felt the balcony was not worth the extra cost. Not much to see when on the sea.

Spent some time viewing the different cruise lines sites with not a lot of success on back to back cruises. Called AAA and gave them my criteria. We are retired and flexible. They said they will get back with me tomorrow. Might as well use my membership fee.

Edited by Maeshel

Spent some time viewing the different cruise lines sites with not a lot of success on back to back cruises. Called AAA and gave them my criteria. We are retired and flexible. They said they will get back with me tomorrow. Might as well use my membership fee.

You may want to do 2 different lines

Maybe a r/t from California to Hawaii then a Panama from west coast to east coast or reverse

look when the ships are repositioning in spring & fall for the Alaska cruises

You do NOT want to plant yourself on a balcony for the transit of the canal...you want to be "out and about"...all over the ship, from top deck, to promenade...all sides of the ship...you will miss too much if you stay on your balcony. Therefore, you don't NEED a balcony at all!

And yes..there is a ton to see..very interesting, but a balcony isn't a "must"....nice, but not a "must".

I'd agree with this. We did the full transit ( Ft Lauderdale to San Diego) on Celebrity, and were on deck roaming around for much of it. We went for breakfast in the MDR, and the windows were at exactly the right height to watch the little 'trains' that tow the ship along. We waved to the train driver and he grinned and gave a thumbs up!

We did a partial transit that we enjoyed very much. We book a stateroom with balcony that we used every day.

During the "partial" transit part of the cruise, we stayed aboard and got out to see the operations from forward and aft as well as from our balcony. It was fascinating. We plan on doing a full transit in the future.

If you have time, you might enjoy viewing my wife's photo journal at the link below

I enjoyed the pictures very much-beautiful!

Thanks for the photo link. Beautiful pictures and great work on putting the album together. I will have to view her other travel logs.

Now you have me confused. I received the quote from the travel agent on doing back to back (Panama Canal and Hawaii). A little more than I wanted to spent but still doable. It was in voicemail so I don't know what staterooms she was quoting. Will have to research and decide on Full transit, full transit with Hawaii, Partial transit in the spring and a fall Hawaii cruise.

Maeshel. Have done 4 PCs and 2 HAs. I give PC a C, HA an A plus. I find the canal like watching paint dry. There are some great Hawaii deals now; some 15N RT from California on Princess. Also like Celebrity Solstice repos combined with several nights at Honolulu.