Ft. Lauderdale port view of cruise ships

956wenbrook

We are going a day early. Hate traveling day of cruise. Especially this time with 3 kids. Not sure if someone could point us in the right direction. We'd like to see cruise ships leave ft lauderdale port on Saturday. Does anybody know where and how to do this? We are staying on 17th st hotel. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We love to walk out to the beach and stand on the rocks to watch the ships departing the night before we cruise!! We stay on 17th street (usually) and just walk over the bridge and through the neighborhood to the beach. It's a little long, we have no trouble, but it might be too much for small children.

It is so much fun! and really builds the excitement for our own cruise ...

Thanks. This helps. The video won't load but the map helps. I guess just park at church and walk to area.

We love to walk out to the beach and stand on the rocks to watch the ships departing the night before we cruise!! We stay on 17th street (usually) and just walk over the bridge and through the neighborhood to the beach. It's a little long, we have no trouble, but it might be too much for small children.

It is so much fun! and really builds the excitement for our own cruise ...

Sounds awesome. I got a 14, 11 and 3. We can make it. Ill carry the 3 yr old.

Get a front facing tower room at Hyatt Pier66 Hotel. locaedf on 17th street right a across from Port Everglades. We've watched shipsin therr morning and sail in the afternoon for years from those balconies.

Edited by sail7seas

While you can see the port and most of the ships from the 17th St bridge or one of the bridge hotels, you won't see the ships come out through the channel and into the open sea. You've got to get across the bridge, through the neighborhood and down to the beach, and then walk to the end.

And if you want to get the full impact of the size of these ships, you need to be on the beach!

Yes, you can walk there from the 17th street area. Just walk across the bridge. It's a drawbridge, by the way, and goes up & down fairly frequently. Your kids might like to watch! There are two platforms on the bridge where you can stand while this is going on. The platforms also give you a view of one end of the port and you can see most of the ships while they are moored.

Anyway, once you walk across the bridge, you need to angle through the streets towards the beach. You'll be able to see where the highrises are, that's where you need to heat. One of them does have a path beside it from the road to the beach, but I think there is more than one place you can cut through. The beach itself is nice & wide, lots of room for the kiddies to run around.

It's about 1 1/2 miles or so from the bridge to the end of the beach ...

Also, there are more ships going in & out of the port than the cruise ships, so that's another interesting thing to watch.

Most of the streets have private houses and not a lot of street parking, and the condos & high rises have private parking lots. I don't know if it's possible to park on the streets.

The only businesses we've seen on that side of the bridge are right by the bridge, so you'd have to walk from there anyway.

Edited by Lady Chew

Yes, you can walk there from the 17th street area. Just walk across the bridge. It's a drawbridge, by the way, and goes up & down fairly frequently.

The bridge is opened on demand on the hour and the half hour.

We parked by the church and walked down to the beach from there.

Kim sorry to bug ya but we booked a hotel at Hilton garden inn 180 18th st dania. If we call a cab to take us there to watch ships sail out is there an exact place I should tell him/her? Address of that high rise condo that has path beside it? Or just tell him/her to drop us off at the church? From church is it fairly obvious where to go to get to beach? Sorry I'm with kids and wife and if I don't act like I know where I am going they get nervous.

I found a blog and it says just go to John Lloyd park which has been renamed. A few bucks to enter and easy to get around.

Just be aware that they start clearing folks out of the park (renamed Dr. Von D. Mizell-Eula Johnson State Park) at dusk so in the winter you might not be able to see the entire parade. Ships start departing around 4 pm and on winter weekends there can be 6 to 8 ships on Saturdays and Sundays. See more info at https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Mizell-Johnson.

Just be aware that they start clearing folks out of the park (renamed Dr. Von D. Mizell-Eula Johnson State Park) at dusk so in the winter you might not be able to see the entire parade. Ships start departing around 4 pm and on winter weekends there can be 6 to 8 ships on Saturdays and Sundays. See more info at https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Mizell-Johnson.

Thanks we there April 8. Should be ok