Travel insurance for Norfolk Island?

bazzaw

highly recommend you have insurance for all as i dont think medicare is on that place if i remember i went a few years ago , they do have a small hospital anything serious they fly you to syd i think thats right definitely need to cover excess for car as thats $$$$ and you will find cars do have dings on them anyway

but if you add to it then it may cost only two petrol stations there and they are in main st so dont run out at the beach as it is a huge distance away and that will cost you i used whole tank and last day didnt dare go down to the beach or pier in case i ran out on way back , they do get sea fog and sometimes planes cant land petrol was $2.41 a litre when i was there and i had to do a $80 pre payment for fuel i think it was and they said most cases re refund some back but in my case i had to pay $10 or so extra as i had emptied the tank just about due to exploring every road on the island , if you see a boat that has gone fishing off the pier not the big one at the ruins though i do think it happens there too go watch them gut the fish etc and look into the water and watch the sharks feeding off the scraps its interesting as

my car i think was a mazda and came with where i stayed

Edited by Hawka

Thanks for that info - I have found this webpage from the Australian Govt - http://regional.gov.au/territories/norfolk_island/reforms/domestic-travel.aspx which is quite specific regarding health matters on NFI

"From 1 July 2016, medical treatment on Norfolk Island will be covered by Medicare as it is on mainland Australia. Emergency medical treatment will be covered by Medicare or your private health insurer.

If you need to be medically evacuated from the Island, you will be transferred from Norfolk Island's health facility to the closest, appropriate mainland hospital. The cost of the medivac will be covered by the Australian Government."

My major interest in Travel insurance is to protect us from medical/hospital/repatriation expenses - so I am thinking that insurance for a holiday on NFI is otherwise a bit pointless for us now. I can take out extra car insurance when I arrive there to cover the $3500 excess.

oh cool thats good stuff will save a few $$

....... only two petrol stations there and they are in main st so dont run out at the beach as it is a huge distance away and that will cost you

All things are relative I suppose. Norfolk Island is very small, maybe 35 sq Km in total. There is no point on the island more than maybe 5-6Km from Burnt Pine, where the 2 servos are.

Yes fuel is expensive, but we drove a lot for the full week there & we didn't use a full tank & it was something like $50 to refill before we left.

Watawieh

All things are relative I suppose. Norfolk Island is very small, maybe 35 sq Km in total. There is no point on the island more than maybe 5-6Km from Burnt Pine, where the 2 servos are.

Yes fuel is expensive, but we drove a lot for the full week there & we didn't use a full tank & it was something like $50 to refill before we left.

Watawieh

i drove a few times the whole circle up to the steak restaurant area etc up to the lookout once why i went through a bit i explored literally all the roads and traveled some more then once , love it there didnt mind the petrol being dear it is for a reason just was letting people know the price :) i did i think a fair few k's and i think the car i had was only a 30 litre tank in it at a guess [could be wrong there as i am only guessing ]

Edited by Hawka

Watawieh

Same here. Probably did a lap of the island every day, a beat up Toyota of some sort $1.50 / lt still only $40 something to re fill it.

i hope i was not ripped off then ?? too late to find out i may have got deposite for petrol wrong but i know i paid a little more but i did park it at the airport and the needle was on empty i was told to do that too

i hope i was not ripped off then ?? too late to find out i may have got deposite for petrol wrong but i know i paid a little more but i did park it at the airport and the needle was on empty i was told to do that too

Whereas I was told to return it full or there'd be an additional fee, $20 I think.

Whereas I was told to return it full or there'd be an additional fee, $20 I think.

mmmm maybe i missed that bit?? or forgot that bit possible but they told me most get refunds as not all got used etc or they forgot to tell me if i had known that bit i would have filled up no probs oh well don't matter now too late to worry on it would rather have filled it up to be honest but was for that reason i didnt, probably should have anyway .

Edited by Hawka

No Ronny Donnies on NI, not yet any way. When we were there in Oct 2002, the only roundabout in town had just been built, the locals were confused, they drove right over it, making it dangerous for the touristas in their rental cars. But that is NI. Yes I loved it, have to return in a couple of years.

They were going broke that is why Australian Government intervened. I read that tourist numbers are down 50% on 10-20 years ago.

They should build a cruise terminal get more ships in.

Edited by NSWP

No Ronny Donnies on NI, not yet any way. When we were there in Oct 2002, the only roundabout in town had just been built, the locals were confused, they drove right over it, making it dangerous for the touristas in their rental cars. But that is NI. Yes I loved it, have to return in a couple of years.

They were going broke that is why Australian Government intervened. I read that tourist numbers are down 50% on 10-20 years ago.

Tourism started to drop when it was no longer a shoppers paradise I believe, Mrs Gut and I looked a moving there at one point, they were looking for teachers and a magistrate, but the two contracts only slightly overlapped, if they'd both been for substantially the same time I think we'd have gone for a couple of years.

Now that she isn't allowed fly I guess it will only be if we can get a cruise that stops there, but given how many supply vessels have to heave to and wait it out for a few days I think it would be skipped more than visited.

The Norfolk Islanders now under the largesse of the Australian Govt and taxpayer will probably ask for a long bridge or road tunnel from the mainland, they like handouts over there. In 2002 when we there, no mobile phones on N.I., they had no reception, most of the islanders did not want them, I suppose they do now.

I would give them zilch if I were PM, they have had it good for many years living off the tourist dollar and paid nil taxes. Now some of the pioneering families controlling the tourist industry on N.I. and whose tourist dollar has dropped are whinging. If they don't like living there, come to the mainland and get a job picking cherries or grapes.

Standby for incoming.

(Is it wine'o'clock yet? Noooo, better take a chill pill Uncle Les.)

Edited by NSWP

highly recommend you have insurance for all as i dont think medicare is on that place if i remember i went a few years ago ,

As has already been explained several times - substantial governmental changes occured July 1 2016. This includes Medicare.

http://regional.gov.au/territories/norfolk_island/reforms/domestic-travel.aspx

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/norfolk-is

http://regional.gov.au/territories/norfolk_island/reforms/

that be a bit hard their supply ship can't even dock there

i saw that after i posted that and if you saw my next post you would have realised that i still recommend insurance specially for the cancellation or hire car stuff

The Norfolk Islanders now under the largesse of the Australian Govt and taxpayer will probably ask for a long bridge or road tunnel from the mainland, they like handouts over there. In 2002 when we there, no mobile phones on N.I., they had no reception, most of the islanders did not want them, I suppose they do now.

I would give them zilch if I were PM, they have had it good for many years living off the tourist dollar and paid nil taxes. Now some of the pioneering families controlling the tourist industry on N.I. and whose tourist dollar has dropped are whinging. If they don't like living there, come to the mainland and get a job picking cherries or grapes.

Standby for incoming.

(Is it wine'o'clock yet? Noooo, better take a chill pill Uncle Les.)

they had a phone that looked like a mobile i think it was but have forgotten that bit unless just the phone from the cabin i was in that was of mobile type and we bought credit for and was cheaper to use that then my phone to ring home

Tourism started to drop when it was no longer a shoppers paradise I believe, Mrs Gut and I looked a moving there at one point, they were looking for teachers and a magistrate, but the two contracts only slightly overlapped, if they'd both been for substantially the same time I think we'd have gone for a couple of years.

Now that she isn't allowed fly I guess it will only be if we can get a cruise that stops there, but given how many supply vessels have to heave to and wait it out for a few days I think it would be skipped more than visited.

was great when there was direct flights from melbourne thats when i went the next yr that stopped again , not sure if they have them from melb again hope so as i want to go back and rather only have to fly out of melb not syd

There's been some semi good news. They're recently put out a tender for 3 ships to support cruise visits.

Still isn't the floating dock, which would have improved all weather access that was going to be built until this current government came in, but it's a step.

Edited by The_Big_M

A cruise forum is not really the place to discuss such a situation - it is too complex for that. But I do think Uncle Les you are really selling the Islanders short. I have been there twice in last year and a half, and they are far from the handout seekers you indicate.

They lived a somewhat idyllic lifestyle for 150 years by hardwork and a somewhat communal society system , but the modern world caught up with them & the island just did not have enough money to provide the infrastructure and services needed in the 21st century - the money to 'govern' the island came from a GST on goods and services, but fell short of what is required now & into the future.

They approached the Australian govt with a concept of having income tax introduced and the money raised returned to the local administration to provide the services required. They may have been somewhat naïve, but that some how morphed into a total takeover. This has led to much angst on the island. One of the main issues is the insistence of the Aus govt that, if they collect tax, they must provide the services that all Australians receive including welfare. They don't want that - getting something for nothing does not fit with their culture.

Anyway, I don't have the answers & just hope that it works out ok for my friends on NI.

If you get the chance, please visit them - they have mobile phones and even internet, albeit via a hotspot system.

A cruise forum is not really the place to discuss such a situation - it is too complex for that. But I do think Uncle Les you are really selling the Islanders short. I have been there twice in last year and a half, and they are far from the handout seekers you indicate.

They lived a somewhat idyllic lifestyle for 150 years by hardwork and a somewhat communal society system , but the modern world caught up with them & the island just did not have enough money to provide the infrastructure and services needed in the 21st century - the money to 'govern' the island came from a GST on goods and services, but fell short of what is required now & into the future.

They approached the Australian govt with a concept of having income tax introduced and the money raised returned to the local administration to provide the services required. They may have been somewhat naïve, but that some how morphed into a total takeover. This has led to much angst on the island. One of the main issues is the insistence of the Aus govt that, if they collect tax, they must provide the services that all Australians receive including welfare. They don't want that - getting something for nothing does not fit with their culture.

Anyway, I don't have the answers & just hope that it works out ok for my friends on NI.

If you get the chance, please visit them - they have mobile phones and even internet, albeit via a hotspot system.

Point taken Mr Walker, this is not really the place for such discussion, perhaps I have been a little hard on the poor NI residents.

All good mate.

Caught up with some friends for lunch today - looks like we are going back to Norfolk for a week in May:)

Thanks, might be back to NI end of next year, package prices much the same as they were in 2002. We stayed at the Governor's Resort then, it was brand new and very nice.