Guacamole

Irie

I have done a lot of cruising....even been on the Oasis before...but did not know about the great guacamole at Sabors...thanks cruise critic!

Agree! The guacamole at Sabor is what all others are measured against - absolutely astounding and not to be missed!

It was good, but not Texas guacamole good :D

I concur... We really enjoy Sabor, and would recommend it, but don't get the fuss about the Guac. IMHO it rates a solid B+ on the Guac-O-Meter. I guess being from San Antonio we are seriously spoiled in the Guacamole department.

I can say without hesitation the Guac at Sabor is the best I ever had! It is also the only guac I've never had :D I've always had a mental aversion to green food and avoided it till I was 56 years old. My wife, who has opened my eyes to a lot of foods practically orgasm-ed with it and insisted I try it, which I did.

Thank you!! I didn't find it anything particularly special. Since it spends no time resting in the fridge for the flavors to meld, it tasted like raw onions with lime juice on it. When we had it, the guy put so much lime in it that was pretty much all I tasted.

LOL, I really enjoyed it in Sabor. It's always fun to try different versions. It's also a great place to try the cucumber, jalapeño margarita. :eek: or just a good cold beer. ;)

However, my wife makes outstanding guacamole and that's what I judge most by, LOL :D:D

Thank you!! I didn't find it anything particularly special. Since it spends no time resting in the fridge for the flavors to meld, it tasted like raw onions with lime juice on it. When we had it, the guy put so much lime in it that was pretty much all I tasted.

Ok, with my acknowledged lack of expertise on the subject, please try it again! On our first try they allowed you to customize it somewhat making it more or less spicy. But perhaps our guy mixed it up better because I got no hint of any one ingredient over the overall great taste.

LOL, I really enjoyed it in Sabor. It's always fun to try different versions. It's also a great place to try the cucumber, jalapeño margarita. :eek: or just a good cold beer. ;)

However, my wife makes outstanding guacamole and that's what I judge most by, LOL :D:D

Do all Texans call it Hawalk a Mole? Or is it just ones who move to Florida and become Governor?

We weren't impressed with it either. I should have told the waiter to stop stirring it so much, it ended up being very spongy because she put in too much tomatoes with all the juice they were sitting in. I prefer a little chunk left to the avocado. We did end up finding out it was the waitress's first week in Sabor, so that explained it.

OMG, has this turned into a my food is better than yours thread. :eek:

Maine Lobsters, Maryland Crab Cakes, NY Pizza, insert your state barbeque....

FWIW, I never realized that TX was the epicenter of the guac world, I always associated it with So Cal.

Carry on

OMG, has this turned into a my food is better than yours thread. :eek:

Maine Lobsters, Maryland Crab Cakes, NY Pizza, insert your state barbeque....

FWIW, I never realized that TX was the epicenter of the guac world, I always associated it with So Cal.

Carry on[/quote

Of course it is John ::eek::D

FWIW, I never realized that TX was the epicenter of the guac world, I always associated it with So Cal. Carry on

And I thought the most authentic (and therefore best to me) is the little no-speak-English Mexican restaurant/deli in St. Louis Park, MN.

Tomatoes in guac? I've never heard of that anywhere.

And I thought the most authentic (and therefore best to me) is the little no-speak-English Mexican restaurant/deli in St. Louis Park, MN.

If we want to get regional and controversial, I will only eat Heinz Ketchup on my hot dog! :p

Pretty sure it was pico de gallo. It was in the mix before I could say anything. Like I said, waitress was new to Sabor and was not from a country that guacamole would be common in her country. There was also one dish she couldn't pronounce, I forget what it was, but when we said it, she complimented us on being able to say it the correct way. She was a very nice woman, just not trained enough to be on her own yet. She should be a pro by now.

I concur... We really enjoy Sabor, and would recommend it, but don't get the fuss about the Guac. IMHO it rates a solid B+ on the Guac-O-Meter. I guess being from San Antonio we are seriously spoiled in the Guacamole department.

You are probably right in your assessment. I'm from the US Northeast - what do I know? If you want to talk chicken wings or garbage plates however... :D

You are probably right in your assessment. I'm from the US Northeast - what do I know? If you want to talk chicken wings or garbage plates however... :D

Yeah, I admit that San Antonio is not exactly known for its chicken wings, and I don't even know what a garbage plate is. Am I missing out?

I was hesitant to even go to Sabor since I can get great Mexican food here, but was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. Been the last 3 sailings, and always got the guac. It was decent, but not nom-nom-nom good. A warm up to the good stuff.

Doug,

A garbage plate is basically two cheeseburgers served open-faced on a pile of home fried potatoes and macaroni salad then covered with a meaty hot sauce and raw onions. There are variants to the theme but the original was created in Rochester NY by Nick Tahou decades ago. It's not unusual to order one after a long night out ("hangover food").

It may sound or look unappealing, but they taste great!

garbage-plate.jpg

Edited by CruiseTobey

Doug,

A garbage plate is basically two cheeseburgers served open-faced on a pile of home fried potatoes and macaroni salad then covered with a meaty hot sauce and raw onions. There are variants to the theme but the original was created in Rochester NY by Nick Tahou decades ago. It's not unusual to order one after a long night out ("hangover food").

garbage-plate.jpg

That's my kinda meal. Same deal as my favorite breakfast, sloppy biscuits. Everything thrown on a plate...

Doug,

garbage-plate.jpg

As gross as it may seem, I'll take 2.

Sent from my iPad using Forums