Star Constellations

BeadsLea

Let's try light-hearted:

Q: What stars will I see?

A: The ones in the sky.

You asked other people to do your research for you, and when informed that there are a number of apps that will assist you, that is being "rude".

I have NO idea what level of detail you are looking for, for what purpose, or how sophisticated a "star-gazer" you may be. So I tried to lead you in the right direction.

Which was at least more than anyone else bothered to do for you.

Since you will still be in the northern hemisphere, many of the ones you see at home will be visible, common ones like the Big Dipper, Cassiopeia, and Orion. The ship's lighting can make all but the brightest ones hard to spot, though. It is also helpful to know ahead of time what planets will be out during your cruise and try to spot them.

We use the Google Sky app on our phones. Super easy to use, just point it at the sky and it tells you what you're looking at.

Wow. That was rude in my opinion. Please don't answer any of my questions in the future. I was looking for some light hearted responses not instructions.

It is a public forum. Anyone can post his or her opinion.

And to be honest, I read your question as a serious one myself. There was nothing in your post to indicate it was not a serious question. I was planning to recommend my favorite star gazing guidebook, but have decidednot to.

If you're not an experienced star gazer, you might try one of the wheel thingies. These have a wheel with constellations printed on it in glow in the dark ink of some kind. You turn the wheel, based on where and when you are. You can match up what you see with what's on the wheel, so you'll know what you're looking at. I'm not describing this very well, but this item at Amazon is basically what I mean: https://www.amazon.com/Night-40%C2%B0-50%C2%B0-Large-Star-Finder/dp/0961320745/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1475437600&sr=8-5&keywords=star+chart

Another person said that what you'll see is pretty much what you see at home. This is true. You'll see things shifted somewhat to the North, and you'll see some things to the South that you probably can't see at home.

It is a public forum. Anyone can post his or her opinion.

Agree, and I didn't even think it was that rude - maybe gruff, and OP simply didn't care for the tone.

OP, this is where the Internet comes in very valuable. There is a wealth of information at your fingertips. Instead of asking on a cruise board, I recommend you research this online. Use Google or Yahoo search engines. There will be many, many websites to help you out. :)

I too was about to reply about an APP .... and I was not intending it to be rude but helpful ... easiest way for most to 'find stars' today ....

btw, unless you stay up VERY VERY late most cruise ships have WAY too many lights on for decent star gazing.

One who navigated by the stars for a living sends .....

AT sea, there tend to be lots of humidity, which creates cloudy enough conditions to obscure the night sky....and if it's clear, the ship's lights will interfere with your view.

You certainly can google "Night sky in April 2017" and you will get all sorts of sky charts!