The MAIN reasons we (mostly) avoid Carnival

Tom-n-Cheryl

It's not quite that cut and dry. With the Grand Suites and Captain's Suites on Carnival often going for $4-7K/week, there are plenty of suites on other lines where that kind of investment will return all sorts of perks.

Tom

I'm sorry but it seems insane to pay $7000/week on a budget cruise line. Go with the premium cruise line and have a 1st class vacation.

I'm sorry but it seems insane to pay $7000/week on a budget cruise line. Go with the premium cruise line and have a 1st class vacation.

I agree. Carnival is a little less expensive if I'm traveling with a group and willing to stay in an inner room but if I'm traveling solo or wish to stay in a balcony or Suite I seem to get just as good a prices if not better with Norwegian and I like their entertainment better. It doesn't seem to matter how close to the cruise the solo rate for Carnival doesn't seem to decrease where is you can get great last-minute deals with Norwegian.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Forums mobile app

We gave it a go - on the Caribbean Princess a few years ago. We had an aft suite. I wrote a lengthy review as to why we were not in a rush to sail Princess again... though I've not written them off for good. The strangest thing was having to pay EXTRA for the Diet Sprite mixer in my "Grey Goose and Diet Sprite", as you only received your mixer for "free" if it came out of one of their guns. If they had to open a can, you bought the can.... :rolleyes:

Tom

We'll be on the Caribbean Princess in a couple of weeks. We've never booked a suite - never found it necessary. We always book a balcony though. We're elite on Princess and get all the perks that we find of value. It's no where near what Carnival offers to even platinum and no way am I going to spend $$$$ to reach Diamond on Carnival. Even platinum status on Princess gets free internet minutes. I don't think Carnival is that much cheaper than Princess. I don't blame the OP for looking else where.

If people don't like Carnival, then why are they on the Carnival page???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

hi there

Yeah. One of those mysteries in life. :)

whichever cruise line you choose

have a great cruise

Those of us who have cruised Carnival and other lines can share our experiences and opinions with others who ask questions. You will find the same types of threads all over this website. That's what Cruise Critic is all about.

Probably because the name of the site is cruise critic. People share their opinions and experiences, good and bad.

I think you've confused this site with cruise cheerleaders.com or popcornfantasists.org where handkerchiefs are not required to wipe away tears but might be useful for any other over excitement.

Edited by les37b

that's a great question. i see it more pointed toward those that are posting on this board curently, than tom-n-cheryl who have been sailing carnival for years, however.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Carnival has never had hot room service breakfast??? If that is true then how did you get to Diamond without that? Did it just become important now?

We may have achieved Diamond status on Carnival, but our frequency of Carnival cruising has drastically plunged over the last few years.

It comes down to:

> Lack of suite perks compared to other lines

> Lack of hot room service breakfast

-----------------------

It's that simple. If we're going to spend a few grand on a cabin, then I expect to get something for my vacation dollar.

No full breakfast room service - come on Carnival, get with the program. I think you're the SOLE mainstream line out there who doesn't provide this simple service.

Suite perks - A bidet, a tub? I have no used for such things. How about a (any of these would be nice) suite lounge, a suite restaurant, drink or internet packages...

-----------------------

I so want to put Carnival back on our "fully approved" list of cruising options, but they're not making any effort towards that end. Granted, having a coffee maker in suites (Vista or similar??) is a token step, but how many years did that take?

You've got some great attributes - the Steakhouse, Ji Ji's, Guy's Burger Joint, etc. Obviously you're doing plenty "right", as you're very successful, but you lack just a couple of things which prevent you from being a contender - w/regard to those who enjoy a little more in the way of amenities.

Tom

Amen, but expect your post and others critical of these people to disappear to keep their little thread full of Carnival hate :confused:

Edited by VASOXFANN

I have to agree with the OP. I have been on more Carnival cruises overall but not in recent years. I was on Victory in January for a 5 night. No lobster ???

So I sucked it up and paid $$ as did others in my party who paid $$ for a steak in the MDR. Things that used to be "included." I am booked on MSC next week and the price was way better than Carnival for an aft balcony 7 nts.

I have four more in the Que after Divina - none of those on Carnival. So when is my next Carnival cruise ?? Maybe never. My future cruises are all on non-Carnival lines. But I don't think they would care.

We're sailing the Divina on the 22nd. Let us know how your experience was. First time on MSC for us.

Those of us who have cruised Carnival and other lines can share our experiences and opinions with others who ask questions. You will find the same types of threads all over this website. That's what Cruise Critic is all about.

Of course, when all dissent on this thread vanishes, the Critic part becomes not so much :rolleyes:

Edited by VASOXFANN

Of course, when all dissent on this thread vanishes, the Critic part becomes not so much :rolleyes:

That's when it becomes important to maintain courteous dissent. We can agree to disagree. As long as this thread doesn't spiral out of control the mods won't shut it down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

Edited by JimAOk1945

tom-n-cheryl, i hope you're well. i saw the track was coming right toward port canaveral / cocoa beach.. better yet i hope you booked a cruise and got out of there :)

Came through the storm much better than expected. The eye was just far enough off shore thankfully.

Tom

Correct me if I'm wrong but Carnival has never had hot room service breakfast??? If that is true then how did you get to Diamond without that? Did it just become important now?

We were already Diamond, by the program standards, when the program started - celebrating my 50th cruise on my 50th birthday on the first sailing after they rolled it out.

It's not like one day it became important, the more we sailed other lines and enjoyed additional perks, the more it started to become something we expected out of our cruise experience. Carnival stands out in this regard (as in lacking).

Tom

While I am not a suite traveler so your issues dont really have an effect on me. I will agree with you that the quality of Carnival cruises has gone down hill over the past few years. It's the little things that irk me. Like no chocolate at turn down. The changes to the room service menu. And the quality of the food/menu's. The service on the boats overall has gone down hill as well. I still think Carnival is the best overall value in cruising. And I cruise more for the ports than the boat anyways. I cruise on RCI and HAL as well. And my personal experience is the food and service are better on those lines. But they are also more expensive. I think the cruise passengers on Carnival fit me better personally. But that is also starting to change a little as I reach middle age. The wife and I are seriously giving Princess a try next year.

Tom-n-Cheryl, thank you for starting this thread. Although, it's probably not the best thread for me to be reading right now. I'm boarding my first Carnival cruise tomorrow (Liberty) and I'll be able to see for myself how Carnival stacks up against the other lines I've sailed.

I'm smart to enough to go with an open mind and to expect a good time....but we shall see. ;)

So it's not really that Carnival has changed anything, it's that you have seen another product and like it better. Kind of like a Chevy vs. a Cadillac. Both get you to where you are going but one just cost more.

The perks you mentioned do not come free (as some people like to believe). If they roll the drink or internet package into the price of the suite, then your suite will cost more. They aren't giving anything away. Some people don't want those items so I am sure they are glad they don't have to pay for them when they get a suite.

We were already Diamond, by the program standards, when the program started - celebrating my 50th cruise on my 50th birthday on the first sailing after they rolled it out.

It's not like one day it became important, the more we sailed other lines and enjoyed additional perks, the more it started to become something we expected out of our cruise experience. Carnival stands out in this regard (as in lacking).

Tom