Labadee

Really? Ok...if I call and let them know we all want to help, how do I/We advise people to bring clothes/soap etc?

It was ToddCan- and he even arranged a trip outside of the area to visit a local school.

But we can do only what we can- so if you can reach people on the roll call, and then ask the airlines to waive the fees of an extra bag of stuff to donate- that would be good.

Again, the best I know is to contact RCI and see how you can help- I know that's what Todd did.

For specific goods- perhaps contact the Red Cross to see if they have a list.

I've been bringing clothing and toiletries items each time we go to Labadee over the years. Anything from toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap and hygiene products. I fill up one or two of those .99 bags from TJMaxx or Home Goods and give it to any Haitian. You have Haitians playing music as you enter Labadee, Haitians selling their wares, Haitians helping you with lounge chairs, Haitians driving the trams. etc.. Even buying a package or two of Tee Shirts or underwear for males, females or for children is helpful. Sizes don't matter when you have nothing.

Security will stop you if you're taking off a suitcase and I found it to be a hassle so now all things we bring go into a large bag.

Of course any monetary amount you can give them is appreciated by them. A few dollars here and there won't change our life.

People complain how aggressive the Haitians are when selling their wares, they have so very little and they are only trying to feed and clothed their families.

Years ago our roll call bought school supplies and there was a process we had to follow, can't find that information now.

We'll also be in Labadee in a few weeks on the 26th.

I found the info but it only addresses the school supplies, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43631318&postcount=20 Wanting to know if we can bring clothes and what not.

Edited by death_star

I bought 4 backpacks at Goodwill and am collecting clothes from my closet as well as friends. Planning to pack empty backpacks and clothes in an extra suitcase or 2 (2 bags fly free), fill them before we debark in Labadee and deliver them randomly in hopes they can be used.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

dont think that is a current pic.....same one i seen an hour ago, just rechecked krooz-cams....dont think that person would be in that position that long

dont think that is a current pic.....same one i seen an hour ago, just rechecked krooz-cams....dont think that person would be in that position that long
I agree that it certainly is not being refreshed every 60 seconds as claimed, but when I looked earlier today it was definitely different. Now: pool cover half off, several workmen in white coveralls. Earlier: pool cover closed, no workmen.

We do not have plans to visit Labadee soon but have been there several times and would love to help.

I love the idea of passengers dropping off essential supplies. If there are any cruisers heading to Labadee soon that would be willing to drop off donations for us I would be more than willing to either send money via paypal (then you could shop for whatever fits in your suitcase) or, if you would rather and are comfortable sending an address, I can shop and send you the supplies (toothbrushes, underwear, socks, toothpaste etc).

If anyone has any other ideas on how those of us who aren't cruising for a few more months can send immediate help please let me know!

It is times like this that we can unite and help those who desperately need it.

Thank you!

WE are on the Freedom in 5 weeks and I really hope to take some clothing and school supplies along. Hopefully we will find something organized, but if not, I will just do the back pack idea that someone posted.

I did read on the other social media site, that efforts and collections of $$$ will be taken up onboard the ships as you exit. While I know money is king, I'm sorry, I don't trust all the hands that dip into the pot before its gets to where it is needed. Also don't trust that some of the people that do get the money end up using it for drugs or alcohol.

At least if I bring a bag of clothes and school supplies the government can't take half!!!!

Hi, confirmed that everything in Labadee is perfect. Hot sunny and no damage. Water is clear also.

Fared better in this part of the country than those down south.

Saw a long train of goods being taken off the ship, hopefully it can get where it is needed most.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

WE are on the Freedom in 5 weeks and I really hope to take some clothing and school supplies along. Hopefully we will find something organized, but if not, I will just do the back pack idea that someone posted.

I did read on the other social media site, that efforts and collections of $$$ will be taken up onboard the ships as you exit. While I know money is king, I'm sorry, I don't trust all the hands that dip into the pot before its gets to where it is needed. Also don't trust that some of the people that do get the money end up using it for drugs or alcohol.

At least if I bring a bag of clothes and school supplies the government can't take half!!!!

Maybe not the government but when we took 4 boxes of school supplies that were supposed to be for the school we saw the security guards on Labadee opening the boxes and removing some items. I am hoping that they were taking some of the items for their own kids.

Just off labadee. There is absolutely no sign of damage from the hurricane. Everything is running as usual.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Great for that section.. I feel at a loss for the rest of Haiti.. Was there with the military many years ago, and have also been to Labadee. Such a beautiful place.. Hate to hear of the devastation..

We do not have plans to visit Labadee soon but have been there several times and would love to help.

I love the idea of passengers dropping off essential supplies. If there are any cruisers heading to Labadee soon that would be willing to drop off donations for us I would be more than willing to either send money via paypal (then you could shop for whatever fits in your suitcase) or, if you would rather and are comfortable sending an address, I can shop and send you the supplies (toothbrushes, underwear, socks, toothpaste etc).

If anyone has any other ideas on how those of us who aren't cruising for a few more months can send immediate help please let me know!

It is times like this that we can unite and help those who desperately need it.

Thank you!

We will be in Labadee the week of Thanksgiving. I too would like to help out and will do some research to see the best way to donate. Would be happy to bring anything I am allowed.

Please be aware that there are some jellyfish in the water! Some guests got burms from it

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

This is not an unusual occurrence at Labadee, specifically after a large tropical storm/hurricane.

Tim

We were at Labadee not too long after the earthquakes and it felt really strange to us, almost apologetic. After getting off the ship we were sitting in our cabana and both of looked at each other almost at the same time and said "This just doesn't feel fair to the Haitians. Here we are, living it up with sun, sand, cruise, food, and drink and just on the other side of the mountains they are suffering." We did have a good time don't get me wrong but it was kind of sad as well.

Tim

We were at Labadee not too long after the earthquakes and it felt really strange to us, almost apologetic. After getting off the ship we were sitting in our cabana and both of looked at each other almost at the same time and said "This just doesn't feel fair to the Haitians. Here we are, living it up with sun, sand, cruise, food, and drink and just on the other side of the mountains they are suffering." We did have a good time don't get me wrong but it was kind of sad as well.

Tim

I get it....

Roberto--- at the kiosk at the Gate to the beach...... for Suites and Pinnacles, LOVES to get school supplies!

We either buy some in San Juan if going there or bring things from home. Left him a some pocket books were done with too.

Maybe not the government but when we took 4 boxes of school supplies that were supposed to be for the school we saw the security guards on Labadee opening the boxes and removing some items. I am hoping that they were taking some of the items for their own kids.

Seems odd, maybe sharp scissors or paste & they wondered what it was? We bring pens and paper of all sizes etc.