Regent's Seven Seas Voyager Scheduled for Luxury Makeover

LauraS

Interesting article. We're disappointed to see that our favorite restaurant, Signatures, will be replaced by a "modern French" restaurant. We could have eaten there most of the time (and could have skipped Prime 7) if that had been possible. We like classical French food much more than "modern French."

I guess our tastes are different from what's common. There is another thread on someone asking if they could eat at Prime 7 every evening. We're the opposite: we could skip steak entirely. We miss the Asian fusion restaurant (Latitudes) that was replaced by Prime 7.

The article says that upper suites will be refurbished. I hope the standard suites will also get some upgrading - they're getting a bit tired looking.

I found the article extremely interesting. When we were on the Explorer we spoke at length with someone headed to the Mariner. He explained the changes on that ship. We were particularly interested in the fact that La Veranda was basically being gutted and will be similar to the Explorer (IMO, the Explorer has the best possible version of La Veranda). It's good to learn that the Voyager will also have a "redo" of La Veranda. The only thing in La Veranda that is on the Explorer and is/will not be on other ships is the open kitchen which I suppose is not a big deal in the scheme of things. Having the food stations set up so that you don't have to wait in single long line is something I look forward to. Also, on the Explorer, there is a crew member taking orders for the grill station as well as the pasta station. This makes the flow go much faster.

In terms of Chartreuse, as has been said hundreds of times, food is subjective. We prefer Chartreuse to Signatures (and I'm not a French food lover). We also preferred Latitudes (long gone from Regent) to Pacific Rim. However, we will be on the Explorer next month for 30 days and will give each dining venue another try. I'm sure that Regent would love to have Pacific Rim on the Voyager and Mariner but there is little space for it. OTOH, on the Mariner, they could do away with Stars and put in a small dining venue (almost 100% sure that this won't happen).

We miss the Voyager which was our favorite ship until the debut of the Explorer. Unfortunately, only the Explorer and Mariner seem to have the itineraries that we want. (Note: My signature still shows the Voyager as a future cruise but that will change to the Mariner).

Jackie,

I don't think Stars would work as a restaurant - no kitchen.

I liked Chartreuse on Explorer better than Signatures on the 2 ships but as has been said - food preferences are personal.

The changes look nice on the Voyager. The Mariner gets "done" in the Spring.

I assume the new menu will also be added.

Peggy

Jackie,

I don't think Stars would work as a restaurant - no kitchen.

I liked Chartreuse on Explorer better than Signatures on the 2 ships but as has been said - food preferences are personal.

The changes look nice on the Voyager. The Mariner gets "done" in the Spring.

I assume the new menu will also be added.

Peggy

Peggy,

Oops, what was I thinking? I remember when they were considering moving the two Boutiques into Stars (the Boutique staff was crossing their fingers) - it seems that the space is very underutilized (except during the summer when they put children in there).

Just tried to go to the RSSC.com site and was reminded that it is down due to Hurricane Matthew. So sad - we are worried about the people affected by this devastating hurricane.

Jackie

P.S. Just got through to the website. Pacific Rim could share a kitchen with Signatures/Chartreuse on the Mariner but it would mean cutting Horizons Lounge in half and utilizing Stars Lounge instead. Some passengers would not like that but I suspect that some passengers will miss having an aft lounge on the Explorer.

Edited by Travelcat2

It all sounds very grand. Looking forward to seeing the new look, but it will not be until April 2018! There may, possibly, be more minor revisions before then too. :)

I assume the suite upgrades will also. include those above penthouse?

Having just left Explorer I would comment that Chartreuse was, by far, the most disappointing dining venue - not only for us but for several other people we spoke with. Pacific Rim was simply outstanding both occasions we were able to dine there. The whole atmosphere, service levels and style was different class. The food was simply exceptional. Signatures was my favourite restaurant on Mariner, the general ambience, quality of food and service far exceeded that of Chartreuse tbh.

Thus, whilst I would prefer to see Pac Rim replicated on Mariner & Voyager, I hope that the concept of Chartreuse works on Voyager and that they can provide a more interesting layout, design and seating configuration than on Explorer. Bland, lukewarm food served at a table facing out to the darkness of the aft window (meaning that diners got no feel for the ambience or any impression of eating "in" the restaurant at all) is not a recipe to be repeated in my view.

Happy to hear about the upgrades. We will be on in February so will look forward to seeing how things are.

As far as Signatures vs Chartreuse, Signatures was also previously our favorite, but we very much enjoyed Chartreuse on Explorer. And we found some our favorite dishes from Signatures were one the menu (the mushroom soup, the crab and asparagus appetizer). Plus they have restored the proper cheese trolley.

Plus they have restored the proper cheese trolley.

When did the cheese trolley disappear from Signatures on either Voyager or Mariner :confused:

We have always enjoyed cheese from the trolley in our favourite restaurant; hope that Chartreuse is as good :)

When did the cheese trolley disappear from Signatures on either Voyager or Mariner :confused:

We have always enjoyed cheese from the trolley in our favourite restaurant; hope that Chartreuse is as good :)

The cheese trolley was there on our 9/3 to 0/21/16 cruise on the Mariner, and was one of the reasons why we commented that we will miss Signatures.

The last few posts highlights how subjective food and décor is. Chartreuse is set up very much like two dining venues on Oceania's Riviera. We love sitting by the back windows, however, there is little seating back there. We enjoyed Chartreuse - more than Signatures but, I've mentioned previously, were disappointed in Pacific Rim (although the entrance to that restaurant is stunning).

IMO, the biggest (and most positive) change to the Voyager and Mariner will be the new Compass Rose menu. I believe that 100% of posters have posted positive comments about the new menu.

I'm not sure when it disappeared but Signatures had the cheese trolley last December on the Voyager.

Our last 2 voyages on Mariner, there was no cheese trolley. I very much enjoy picking my own cheese rather than being brought a plate of whatever happens to be available.

If hot food comes out lukewarm or otherwise prepared incorrectly, it should be sent back. They will get the idea very quickly. To paraphrase Edmund Burke, the only thing necessary for the triumph of kitchen ineptitude is for good passengers to do nothing!

Now if you're trying to make the show that night or just extremely hungry, this approach might not be as feasible (if the latter, you could ask for an extra cold appetizer while you wait), but in our experience the corrected dish comes back surprisingly soon...

If hot food comes out lukewarm or otherwise prepared incorrectly, it should be sent back. They will get the idea very quickly. To paraphrase Edmund Burke, the only thing necessary for the triumph of kitchen ineptitude is for good passengers to do nothing! Now if you're trying to make the show that night or just extremely hungry, this approach might not be as feasible (if the latter, you could ask for an extra cold appetizer while you wait), but in our experience the corrected dish comes back surprisingly soon...

Agree completely and like your idea of ordering an extra cold appetizer while you wait. I highlighted your quote above as it is the best I've read on the subject.

Edited by Travelcat2