Port Miami question

newone17

Hello,

We have Miami stop on our itinerary. Would be there first time. Googled the port and cruise terminals - it's huuuge. So, the question is - can you walk from your ship to the downtown area or any "civilized" area or it's way too long or no pedestrians allowed? Is there a shuttle? Or you need a taxi?

Thank you,

Hello,

We have Miami stop on our itinerary. Would be there first time. Googled the port and cruise terminals - it's huuuge. So, the question is - can you walk from your ship to the downtown area or any "civilized" area or it's way too long or no pedestrians allowed? Is there a shuttle? Or you need a taxi?

Thank you,

Post your question on the Florida Departure board and you will get excellent answers to your question.

Lived there for 28 years but have been gone lone time. Miami experts on Florida board. Good Luck and Happy Sails

Pedestrians are allowed but it's a long walk. Most of the time ( or maybe always) I get to see at least one couple doing the long walk but I believe they are crew because they don't carry any luggage with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you perchance on the Grandeur? It will really depend on where the ship docks. At the closest dock to the city it is reasonable to walk across the bridge but from the furthest it would be a very long walk. There's also a free trolley that runs from Terminal J (South side of the island opposite the closest dock on the north side). The trolley goes to Coral Gables. If you walk across the bridge a people mover is close and a subway station is not a lot further.

Roy

If you are stopping as a port of call, grab a cab and head to Miami Beach/ South Beach. OR head to Bayside Mall and pick up the hop on/off bus to see more of the area, or pick up a boat tour of the area.

You need a plan. ;) Nothing but a huge city of condos and skyscrapers is the city of Miami. And I wouldn't recommend walking around without knowing the neighborhoods.

Hello,

Thank you,

If you are patient, there is the Miami Trolley which is free. The problem is finding the Trolley stop at the port. It's at the very far northwestern end of Dodge Island across the street (North American Way) from the south side of the Port Administration Building. If you come in on NCL then it's on the complete opposite end of all the terminals and is a little bit of a hike. If you come in on MSC or Disney then you are pretty close.

There is no traditional bus stop or even a bench, just a sign on the curb next to a parking lot. In the link below, you want the Coral Way Route.

http://www.miamigov.com/trolley/

You can actually find it on Google Maps if you know where to look. See if this pulls up the port and then go to "Earth View."

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Port+of+Miami,+Miami,+FL+33132/@25.7745483,-80.1730689,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x88d9b43c1f91e039:0x5ec9aa159b63625a!8m2!3d25.7745435!4d-80.1708802

Edited by Lido_Deck

Yes, Miami is a stop on the cruise to Bahamas, so no luggage, but I got that it's pretty far walk. I would not mind, but not my husband. Trolley sounds good and affordable))))) and taxi will work if anything. I appreciate all thoughts and advices. Thank you!

I just wanted to note that for those who like to walk it is a very doable walk between the Port of Miami and downside area. My wife and I have done it often when we stay in downtown Miami just to go for a walk and on turn around days where we continue on the ship or when we have transited through Miami.

I would not recommend the walk for those who don't like to walk or on embarkation or disembarkation day with luggage even though I have seen some do the latter. The cost of a taxi to get from the port to say Bayside is around $15.00.

But if you like to walk it is easy and very safe. There is a pedestrian walkway on the bridge and it is divided from the roadway.

This is what it looks like.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-t2xzuPAguZc/VI8hMUack0I/AAAAAAAAn-A/EUf8UwZyPUc/s1600/DSC_1670.jpg

Keith

I would be interested in this cruise. What line is it and what is the whole itinerary?

Hello, sorry for the delay. It's RC Grandeur of the Seas from Baltimore, 10/22 - 10/31. Stops at Charlestone, Port Canaveral, Miami, Nassau and Coco Bay.

If you are patient, there is the Miami Trolley which is free. The problem is finding the Trolley stop at the port. It's at the very far northwestern end of Dodge Island across the street (North American Way) from the south side of the Port Administration Building. If you come in on NCL then it's on the complete opposite end of all the terminals and is a little bit of a hike. If you come in on MSC or Disney then you are pretty close.

There is no traditional bus stop or even a bench, just a sign on the curb next to a parking lot. In the link below, you want the Coral Way Route.

http://www.miamigov.com/trolley/

You can actually find it on Google Maps if you know where to look. See if this pulls up the port and then go to "Earth View."

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Port+of+Miami,+Miami,+FL+33132/@25.7745483,-80.1730689,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x88d9b43c1f91e039:0x5ec9aa159b63625a!8m2!3d25.7745435!4d-80.1708802

Thanks very much for this information and the links. This will be a big help.

if looking for the hop on from the port just take a taxi to Bayside ... just outside the port / aka just over the bridge ... 10 minute ride

all the hoff/hon stop at Bayside

there are several and the routes and what you can see ARE different .... do your research

Thanks very much for this information and the links. This will be a big help.

If you zoom in on "Earth View" and scroll to the northwest end of the island you can find the little blue bus symbol on the map.

Edited by Lido_Deck