REGAL/ROYAL. Cabins below the skywalk

sawtooth

I book them all the time and the lower deck the better, caribe, dolphin nobody is gawking at you from above and compared to the small tiny balconies the larger balconies in these cabins are well worth it I can't understand the thought process that there is no privacy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The desks just below the Seawalk offer practically no privacy but the lower ones look fine. I don't mind people in balconies above me looking down but a stream of people day & night strolling by is a little much.

If price is that big of a factor then yes, its a consideration.

Having stayed in Royal Riviera Deck 14 mid-ship minis - IMO there are no privacy issues particularly port-side with SeaView Bar above. Yes - as designed - people actually do use the above SeaWalk but I have never seen people lingering to peer into cabins. Compare this to mid-ship minis on Grand Class ships with absolutely no privacy & stuff falling on your balcony from folks above. For us cabin location, large covered balcony & privacy are booking priorities. Before our 1st Royal mid-ship mini booking we heard all that privacy stuff & opinions based on CC posts in some cases from those who had no first hand experience. Loved Royal - booked same cabin for a Feb Regal B2B. Now - as discussed - hopefully Princess fixes the mid-ship stairway issue.

I have not stayed in one of those cabins, but I have been on the Regal. When we walked around the deck below them, the blue lighting was extremely bright. I don't know how that affects the darkness of the interior of the cabin at night, but it would sure bother me if I was trying to sit on the balcony and enjoy the dark quiet sea and the stars. It was just too intense.

shutterbug63 I have not stayed in one of those cabins, but I have been on the Regal. When we walked around the deck below them, the blue lighting was extremely bright. I don't know how that affects the darkness of the interior of the cabin at night, but it would sure bother me if I was trying to sit on the balcony and enjoy the dark quiet sea and the stars. It was just too intense.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Blue Ribbon Lights casts a soft downward balcony lighting with no impact on the interior cabin at night. The light (may) appear bright to some - but IMO just right for a balcony night. Way better than having neighboring cabins blast their bright white balcony lights all night - that for sure bothers me.

We had one of those under Skywalk mini's on the Regal , deck #15.

Many are concerned about privacy so they are not popular to book.

Seem to be where Mini Guarantee's wind up as we did.

Not bad at all for us , larger balcony . Can't see into the cabin from the Skywalk. Found no gawkers , just people staring straight down thru the glass floor as they passed thru.

Blue lights didn't bother us at all .

Would not mind being in one of those mini's again if assigned (we often book mini-guarantee's for the best rate.

We stayed on the Caribe Deck....port side...deck10...last year on the Regal. No problem with privacy. The extended balcony is fabulous...plenty of room to relax and enjoy being outdoors! We will be on the same cruise this year...also Caribe Deck. We think it is a fabulous location...we used to book the Dolphin Deck on the Crown with an open balcony...didn't mind that we could be seen by people above.....

Following along as we are booked in an obstructed balcony guarantee for the Regal Christmas cruise. I have a feeling we will be assigned a regular balcony on this deck. This is why I am hesitating to book the UBD. I am waiting to see where we are assigned. With that said we got such a fantastic deal, I will be happy(I promise, lol) wherever we are assigned.

Marie

Following along as we are booked in an obstructed balcony guarantee for the Regal Christmas cruise. I have a feeling we will be assigned a regular balcony on this deck. This is why I am hesitating to book the UBD. I am waiting to see where we are assigned. With that said we got such a fantastic deal, I will be happy(I promise, lol) wherever we are assigned.

Marie

I don't know how they serve dinner on the regular size balconies. We just had sufficient room to sit & have coffee & a small plate of food for breakfast.

Thanks all for your insight. Although we have always stayed in minis on Dolphin deck and had no problem with the open balcony I think we will avoid the cabins below the sea walk.

The bright blue light mentioned would be especially bothersome.

The skywalk has a very bright blue glow, and no privacy from our balcony on the Royal aloha deck. Took away from the night sky gazing, balcony extremely small. Sorry photo is sideways will try and fix that in next post.

IMG_0627.jpg.eed375c5ce52d95130d58484bd55757f.jpg

Edited by melodyina

I'll only share this secret with my Cruise Critic friends. We like the balcony cabins under the skywalk, but way down on the Emerald deck. No privacy issues from the skywalk, and the blue light is far away. Few people look up from the promenade, and they can only see the front of the balcony. I sometimes get a wave and a smile! The win-win is that the balconies are larger and they are priced as "obstructed" with absolutely no obstruction. They have both regular balconies and deluxe balconies.

We've stayed in these cabins twice, once on each side directly under the Skywalk. We found no privacy issues at all - people usually use the skywalk once as a novelty, and then rarely ever again. We never saw anyone peering down at us and did use the extra space for the UBD and loved it! We honestly never even noticed the blue light at all - so it certainly didn't hamper the enjoyment of our mini suite. I say enjoy the pricing and the extra space!:D

We stayed in a deluxe balcony on Emerald deck (E409). With the larger balcony and being so far below the skywalk, I also agree that is a great location. The only issue being mid-ship on Emerald is the lack of the center staircase. A lot of waiting for an elevator to get between deck 8 and 7. But I guess that is another thread ;). All other things being equal, I would book it again.

We stayed in a deluxe balcony on Emerald deck (E409). With the larger balcony and being so far below the skywalk, I also agree that is a great location. The only issue being mid-ship on Emerald is the lack of the center staircase. A lot of waiting for an elevator to get between deck 8 and 7. But I guess that is another thread ;). All other things being equal, I would book it again.

YES! E409 is the largest midship balcony! We booked it for 10/22 on the Royal - and we hear that the midship stairs are being renovated for passenger use in the current dry dock. I'm waiting to hear from a cruise critic passenger on the TA to verify that any day now.

This is just me. I would not like to be in one of these cabins. People looking at you at different times when your sitting out. To me there's just no privacy.

They may be great there just not for me.

Tony

If you are on the starboard side you are under a bar and people can not look down into your balcony, on port side it is a walkway.

Richard

If you are on the starboard side you are under a bar and people can not look down into your balcony, on port side it is a walkway.

Richard

I think you have that backwards...on the Royal and Regal the SeaView Bar is on the Port side, the SeaWalk is on the starboard side.

I'm having a hard time figuring this out. Is that photo sideways?

Yes, it is sideways. I took it off our balcony and the camera was sideways to catch more of it. I need to turn the photo around.

Having stayed in Royal Riviera Deck 14 mid-ship minis - IMO there are no privacy issues particularly port-side with SeaView Bar above. Yes - as designed - people actually do use the above SeaWalk but I have never seen people lingering to peer into cabins. Compare this to mid-ship minis on Grand Class ships with absolutely no privacy & stuff falling on your balcony from folks above. For us cabin location, large covered balcony & privacy are booking priorities. Before our 1st Royal mid-ship mini booking we heard all that privacy stuff & opinions based on CC posts in some cases from those who had no first hand experience. Loved Royal - booked same cabin for a Feb Regal B2B. Now - as discussed - hopefully Princess fixes the mid-ship stairway issue.

Were you on the port side under the Seaview Bar or starboard side under the Sea Walk when you stayed on the Riviera Deck. We took an upsell from a balcony to mini suite so we're mid ship on Riviera starboard side. Based on pics I was, looks like people can see you from the Sea Walk if you're on your balcony but can't see in the room. We have never stayed in a mini before so couldn't turn down the offer!

mthomp5 - Were you on the port side under the Seaview Bar or starboard side under the Sea Walk when you stayed on the Riviera Deck. We took an upsell from a balcony to mini suite so we're mid ship on Riviera starboard side. Based on pics I was, looks like people can see you from the Sea Walk if you're on your balcony but can't see in the room. We have never stayed in a mini before so couldn't turn down the offer!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re-read my post stating "port-side". For a number of reasons - including "Skywalk Privacy" we prefer the port side cabins. Now with M1 CC even a better cabin selection IMO.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re-read my post stating "port-side". For a number of reasons - including "Skywalk Privacy" we prefer the port side cabins. Now with M1 CC even a better cabin selection IMO.

Thank you for clarifying. I did note that you did say "particularly" portside but was interested if your opinion of no privacy issues pertained to Starboard too.

Edited by mthomp5