What is a "select" passenger?

GERRY 2819

Sure this will have a simple answer but what is a "Select" passenger in Cruise language ? How does it differ from any other type of passenger?

While on the Cruise language issue what is the difference between a Solo and a Singles passenger?

As you appear to be sailing on P&O, a Select passenger is one who booked with a Select fare as opposed to a Saver fare. You get the free shuttles, choice of stateroom, choice of dining etc..

Don't know about Solo v Singles.

"Select" isn't a generic word in cruising and I'm pretty certain that Steve is right, that you're referring to P&O's term for their higher-priced fare which passengers can choose in order to enjoy a few privileges.

Main privileges are

- choosing a particular cabin number, rather than a "guarantee" cabin which they allocate & is simply a guarantee that the cabin will be of the category booked or better.

- choosing, rather than being allocated, first or second sitting for dinner. Plus on those ships which also have "anytime" dining, choosing that option rather than it being allocated.

- a few freebies such as free port-to-town shuttles where applicable (though if those who opted for the cheaper "saver" fare wanted to use them they can do so for a small fee), and a choice of free Southampton parking or transfers from home or spending money.

In other respects there's no difference - you'll not know which of your fellow-cruisers booked at which fare unless they tell you.

We've never booked the "select" fare, that higher fare has always seemed to be poor value for those privileges / freebies.

I've always treated the terms solo, single, singleton, single-pin etc as inter-changeable. The others may be right, but it makes no practical difference.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

As far as Cruise Critic parlance goes, a "solo" traveler is one that is traveling on their own, regardless of marital status, and is NOT interested in meeting/dating others. Whereas passengers who identify themselves as "singles" are those perhaps looking to change that status....

As far as Cruise Critic parlance goes, a "solo" traveler is one that is traveling on their own, regardless of marital status, and is NOT interested in meeting/dating others. Whereas passengers who identify themselves as "singles" are those perhaps looking to change that status....

Totally agree. On RCL the Cruise Compass will offer "solo" get-togethers (typically lunch for anyone traveling by themself) or "singles" get-togethers (typically late night in a night club venue).

However, there are other nuances. Solo cruisers typically are not sharing cabins, but sometimes they are. Single cruisers may be more likely to be sharing cabins.

Edited by 138east

I agree with the above two posts..and would go one step further: A solo passenger is traveling alone in a stateroom, regardless of marital status. A single passenger is unmarried/unattached regardless of whether they are sharing a stateroom or not. So you can meet married solos, singles sharing a quad or even single solos.

+1

I always associate "singles" with the old 70s and 80s "singles bar", where the two purposes of the bar were to get drunk and find someone to hook up with ;)

Any place that advertises something as for "singles", be it on land or on a ship, I avoid like the plague!

I go to a restaurant, a bar, a cruise, a vacation as a SOLO...

IA solo passenger is traveling alone in a stateroom, regardless of marital status. A single passenger is unmarried/unattached regardless of whether they are sharing a stateroom or not. So you can meet married solos, singles sharing a quad or even single solos.

Sounds good to me. I'll ditto this.