Sales, Deals, and When to Book

Hi all,

Need a bit of help here. I have my eye on an Anthem of the Seas March 26th sailing. However, it seems the deals and prices keep fluctuating. I was wondering if some of the more experienced cruisers could help me out with what RCCL's typical sales cycle looks like. Trying to determine when the best time to book would be.

A few things about us that might help:

• We are a couple in our 30's planning to bring our toddler (will be just three at sailing) and stay in one cabin.
  • I would like a balcony cabin. Not decided on whether we should pick it ourselves, or take the significant "guarantee" discount, based on having our son with us (not sure what the best sleeping arrangement will be for him in the cabin yet).
  • I need to book through my credit card website, not RCCL, as I plan to use points to pay for about half the trip.
  • We are not big drinkers (especially not while we're watching our son!). On-board credits are nice, but a deal on the cruise price itself is more attractive.

When should I book? Am I seeing the lowest price now, or will I be better off waiting a month or two?

... could help me out with what RCCL's typical sales cycle looks like....

There is no "typical". Fares and promos are unpredictable. I'd book early to get the best stateroom selection and keep watching the price to take advantage of any price drops.

In general...booking a year or more in advance renders the lowest prices on cruises. Of course there are exceptions...but this has been the case on every cruise we've ever booked, as well as our fellow cruising enthusiasts.

There are seasonal price "deals, typically offered around major holiday weekends (not to be confused with holiday cruises themselves).

We only book balconies, and there are various price factors on those cabins - the primary one being location (deck number and where on the ship - forward, mid, or aft). All those variables can impact the price.

Finally, different booking channels (travel agencies, travel companies like those with your credit card, and cruise lines themselves) often have "blocks" of rooms they have guaranteed for sale...which results in lower prices IF you happen to find a cruise you like for one of those blocks of rooms.

March and/or April usually include about 6 weeks of time for "spring break" - that varies each year, and also varies by state (when school systems closed down for that reason). With that...it is not unusual for the cruises to be more "booked up" with more vacationing students or families onboard. March 26th is right in the middle of the 2017 "spring break season" next year.

We have a cruise earlier in March, and booked it 6 months ago. Since then, the price on ours is up 50% for our same superior balcony cabin.

Waiting longer to book your cruise at this point will likely not result in lower rates, especially on that ship and/or at that time.

When the price is acceptable to you, book it! Really, for that time frame and especially a new ship like Anthem, this is a bit late to book. As above stated, at least a year out and preferably the first few days bookings open, is nearly always the least expensive rate. Also, the spring break cruises tend to be among the most expensive prices (except for holiday cruises). Any way you could go at a different date?

Can you do that if you book through a credit card?

Sure, if you are booked under US/Canadian rules, RC normally grants price drops up until final payment date. Just contact whoever booked your cruise.

If you are seeing the lowest price now, then book it now. You can always get the lower price if they drop before final payment.

We cruised the Anthem last March booking last minute, a month out and got a decent DO balcony on deck 6.

We had no choice but to book last minute as I was the caretaker of my mom. After she passed we needed to get away and destress.

Anthem is awesome, and have a great cruise. Just make reservations for all entertainment as soon as you can. :)

Hi all,

Need a bit of help here. I have my eye on an Anthem of the Seas March 26th sailing. However, it seems the deals and prices keep fluctuating. I was wondering if some of the more experienced cruisers could help me out with what RCCL's typical sales cycle looks like. Trying to determine when the best time to book would be.

A few things about us that might help:

• We are a couple in our 30's planning to bring our toddler (will be just three at sailing) and stay in one cabin.
  • I would like a balcony cabin. Not decided on whether we should pick it ourselves, or take the significant "guarantee" discount, based on having our son with us (not sure what the best sleeping arrangement will be for him in the cabin yet).
  • I need to book through my credit card website, not RCCL, as I plan to use points to pay for about half the trip.
  • We are not big drinkers (especially not while we're watching our son!). On-board credits are nice, but a deal on the cruise price itself is more attractive.

When should I book? Am I seeing the lowest price now, or will I be better off waiting a month or two?

There are fewer cabins that can be booked for 3, so if you are comfortable with the rate you are seeing, book it now. There is rarely a guarantee rate for more than two in a cabin, so that rate likely will not last very long. Cabins will have two twin beds that can be made into a queen and either a sofabed or a pullman bed that comes down from the ceiling. Pullman aren't supposed to be used for kids as young as yours, the age limit is 5 or 6 if I remember correctly.

Book the cruise as soon as you "like one" then continually check for price reductions. If it goes down you get the credit if it goes up you have the satisfaction of knowing you got a deal. Mock bookings and fare watchers are what i use to check. Saved hundreds over the years.