Water - Taking off ship for shore excursions

thursdaysrecords

What are Carnival's rules for taking bottled water off the ship for shore excursions?

Since they have restrictions for bringing it on the ship is it the same for taking off?

There might not always be time to get water on an excursion or if they do make a stop I would expect places might try to gouge tourists just for water.

Also if we buy a beverage (not alcohol) other than water in port can that be brought back on the ship?

We were told we wouldn't have any trouble bringing water back on as long as it was Carnival's brand. We also had open bottles of Diet Coke that we bought on shore that we were able to bring back, too.

I just bought a case of the water so I hope that's true, we'll be taking it ashore with us and if we don't use it I would like to bring it back onboard to use later.

I have purchased water ashore for $1 a bottle so really not worth taking it off the ship, however, I once gave a vendor a five dollar bill and he returned $3 saying the bottle was now $2 and you're pretty much at their mercy once you pay.

We were told we wouldn't have any trouble bringing water back on as long as it was Carnival's brand. We also had open bottles of Diet Coke that we bought on shore that we were able to bring back, too.

Have at it! I always take water off the ship into port. As far as what you bring back in, you are allowed to return with Carnival-branded water (even if it is open) and you can bring on your allotment of non-alcoholic drinks. If you return with bottles of alcoholic beverages, they will take those from you and store then until the end of the cruise. I have never tried to bring on open alcoholic drinks. I think that you are at the security guard's mercy there.

I have purchased water ashore for $1 a bottle so really not worth taking it off the ship, however, I once gave a vendor a five dollar bill and he returned $3 saying the bottle was now $2 and you're pretty much at their mercy once you pay.

Whether true or not, I have been warned by tour operators that sometimes the locals refill water bottles with local water. Which defeats the purpose obviously. I would be careful, because with some bottles it is hard to tell if the seal is broken. Of course that could have been a wives tale, but I don't want to take chances..

I know what you mean about the change thing. I think that people in the Caribbean must collect $5 bills because everything seems to be priced at $5. I heard its because they don't like $1 bills, too much of a hassle. Or the vendor may have only had $3 in ones. Had that happen too. Usually, they will offer me something else in exchange, which you pretty much have to take or lose the money.

No it was a good opportunity to rip me off as he said the water was a buck then gave me three ones back stating the water was $2 per bottle. This was years ago at a port in Cartegena. Now I carry mostly ones on me for those types of purchases. Never had a bottle with seal broken though.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Forums mobile app

I've ordered extra lobster and saves the meat in the fridge, get a hot dog roll and a little lettuce and nake lobster rolls to take to the beach. We've also taken deli meat and cheese from Lidi Buffet to nake sandwiches ( just go to Guy's and ask for a few plain rolls). This is why you need to pack sandwich bags. Water is no problem either.

I've ordered extra lobster and saves the meat in the fridge, get a hot dog roll and a little lettuce and nake lobster rolls to take to the beach. We've also taken deli meat and cheese from Lidi Buffet to nake sandwiches ( just go to Guy's and ask for a few plain rolls). This is why you need to pack sandwich bags. Water is no problem either.

Be careful with that. In some ports you can be fined for bringing food off of the ship, which the exception of sealed packages. Produce is a BIG no no due to agricultural concerns.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There is all kinds of fail in this post. First of all, I would never store seafood in a "cooler" that doesn't keep it at the proper temperature. Can you say food poisoning?

Taking deli meat and cheese is a big no-no as well in terms of local agriculture regulations and proper storage. Again, can you say food poisoning?

Also, this is just all kinds of cheap. Buy something on the island or wait until you get back on the ship. Good grief :cool:

There is all kinds of fail in this post. First of all, I would never store seafood in a "cooler" that doesn't keep it at the proper temperature. Can you say food poisoning?

Taking deli meat and cheese is a big no-no as well in terms of local agriculture regulations and proper storage. Again, can you say food poisoning?

Also, this is just all kinds of cheap. Buy something on the island or wait until you get back on the ship. Good grief :cool:

I am cheap (more like frugal) on and off of vacation (enabling us to go on vacation in the first place) and I totally agree with this. We have yet to spend money on a meal off of the ship, but we would never take food off of the ship. Most of the time it is unnecessary anyway. We eat a big breakfast, late lunch, dinner plus snacks on the ship. That is more than enough. I have seen police dogs sniffing people as they come off of the ship in Mexico. Not worth the risk

What are Carnival's rules for taking bottled water off the ship for shore excursions?

Since they have restrictions for bringing it on the ship is it the same for taking off?

There might not always be time to get water on an excursion or if they do make a stop I would expect places might try to gouge tourists just for water.

Also if we buy a beverage (not alcohol) other than water in port can that be brought back on the ship?

They will be selling them all over the place before you leave.

I have seen police dogs sniffing people as they come off of the ship in Mexico. Not worth the risk

I was stopped and my backpack was checked once. I had just eaten a banana in the cabin and finished it on the way down to exit the ship. The scent was fresh on my hands, so the dog alerted on me. They have very keen noses.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We like our water as cold as possible and the bottles of water they sell as you leave warms up quickly (in addition to being expensive.) So we bring wide mouth water bottles aboard ship and fill them with ice before adding water. They usually stay cold for several hours.

Taking food and water off the ship is fine but all food needs to be prepacked and sealed. Never take lettuce and agriculture products off the ship onto islands this can be insanely damaging to islands. Educate yourself a little before you destroy some one else's life and no that isn't being dramatic, one tiny little bug that yes can be on that washed lettuce, fruit etc is enough to start a very bad serious of events. That is why you see them destroy a whole shipment of veggies or fruits when they find a single bug in them upon import or export inspection.

I personally won't buy water from island vendors because I can't take the risk of getting sick. While the water in the bottle may be purified, most of the time the ice they have it stored in isn't, it's just frozen tap water all over the outside of the bottle. Mexican tap water or most island tap water is not a risk I can take with my health. I take a couple of bottles off the ship with me and then we are usually at an all inclusive or something with a bar where we can get water that's been in purified ice if I need more. Might be more expensive but it's safe. If we do something else I just take more in a backpack and lug it around, the inconvenience is worth it.