Holidays at Sea

Goldenpaw

We're on the Royal for 20 days, embarking on Dec 10. We want to do something for our cabin steward on Christmas, but I'm a bit baffled as to what might be appropriate. Is cash in a Christmas card acceptable? Perhaps an edible treat we've picked up in a port?

What do others do?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're on the Royal for 20 days, embarking on Dec 10. We want to do something for our cabin steward on Christmas, but I'm a bit baffled as to what might be appropriate. Is cash in a Christmas card acceptable? Perhaps an edible treat we've picked up in a port?

What do others do?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can't assume that they celebrate Christmas, but in general terms, cash is king.

If you hand someone CASH, you can be guaranteed it will go in their pocket. No worries! Cash is the best gift!

Do you work? Do you want a knick nack or money? Well, they prefer money, too! Give them a bit of extra cash. It will NOT go into a "pool"...I guarantee it!

On one Christmas cruise, the Captain's Circle Hostess remarked that she was sad she wouldn't have time to leave the ship as she had a craving for a particular candy. I found the candy and bought it for her. She seemed to like it.

We've also given bottles of wine to our waiter, asst. waiter, and cabin steward. These gifts were in addition to the cash though. :)

On one Christmas cruise, the Captain's Circle Hostess remarked that she was sad she wouldn't have time to leave the ship as she had a craving for a particular candy. I found the candy and bought it for her. She seemed to like it.

We've also given bottles of wine to our waiter, asst. waiter, and cabin steward. These gifts were in addition to the cash though. :)

It was not christmas... but once when we were in Alaska our waiter or assistant made some similar statement so we picked some candy and brought to the MDR as a surprise mid cruise... it was surprising another waiter so the candy and obviously wanted some too. So next day we bought some more. Obviously, candy does not need to be stored... they got their usual extra tips at the end of the cruise too. Sometimes when they can't go ashore... something like this is welcomed.

It was not christmas... but once when we were in Alaska our waiter or assistant made some similar statement so we picked some candy and brought to the MDR as a surprise mid cruise... it was surprising another waiter so the candy and obviously wanted some too. So next day we bought some more. Obviously, candy does not need to be stored... they got their usual extra tips at the end of the cruise too. Sometimes when they can't go ashore... something like this is welcomed.

Yes, you always see the some of the crew at the local grocery stores, stocking up on the things one can't get on the ship. :)