Thinking about Oceania for a change

jonsmum

Although we have been loyal to Celebrity, we are looking at Oceania for our 2018 cruise/s, as they seem to have more interesting itineraries. We have a few questions before we go any further, and hope you can help.

Is taking the Oceania package (with airfare included) cost effective from the UK?

Is it possible to upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy fare, on an All-Inclusve basis?

We are sun lovers, and are used to a veranda that allows the sun to shine onto it ie: it does not have a complete, but partial overhang. Looking at the photos, most Oceania ships seem have ‘straight up and down’ sides, so that there is a complete overhang over the balconies. Am I correct in my thinking?

How easy is it to get a sunbed on deck, away from the noise of the pool?

Thank you for your help.

You could choose one of the forward or aft cabins they will give more sun

On the O class ships Marina & Riviera they have some balcony cabins with extended balconies on deck 7

you will notice on the deck plan the area where the B3 are located stick out further

There are lots of loungers on other decks away from the pool area it depends on your fellow shipmates whether they will be wanting the sun or not at the same time as you ;)

Lyn

When we were on Riviera,we went to look at a balcony cabin with extended balcony.The balcony was lovely,so spacious and much more room than our balcony in a PH cabin above it...But...be aware that those above that deck can see straight down onto any sunbathers.I also noticed that from the cabin(sofa or bed) there seemed to be a 'tunnel'effect of balcony walls to the sea.

I would say it was easy to get a sunny sunbed away from the pool,easier than other ships we have been on,We did not notice any chair hogging as there were always plenty.We did a med cruise in August.

You can purchase a day pass each for the spa deck which is very sunny,or it will be a free pass with concierge and above..but beware the pool up there is not a pool and has very hot water.

We are from England and the included airfare was perfect for us.If you have a travel agent who deals with Oceania( I can recommend one privately) they will organise all your airfare,hotel,transfers etc, which will put your mind at rest.

It was our first time on Oceania this year and we have already rebooked for 2018 and hope to grab a sale bargain next year.

I am not sure if things work differently here in UK. All I can say is what happened to us.

We were given flights to and from port with BA and both ways involved change at Heathrow. The one going out involved an overnight in Heathrow and a very early flight on sailing day. We weren't happy as we like to go at least day before, even when it's just from UK to the Med.

We found a direct flight with a budget airline the day before but nothing better than what was offered for the return and asked if we could remove air going and keep air coming back.

They did this gave us a discount which covered our new flights, hotel and transfer. Bonus was a nice relaxed evening and dinner outside by the sea! And a good sleep knowing we were in the port.

Just another option if it works for you.

Re the UK flights we have found that normally if it's a Med cruise we take the money and get a budget flight, this time however the price was similar as for some reason budget fares were high.

BUT Oceania uses mainline airlines so we are flying Manchester to Barcelona on Air France taking 7 hours!! Never thought about that, so for the same cost we could have saved hours!

Thanks everyone. We are looking at a cruise that includes the Amazon, so long haul. We now only travel economy on short haul, hence the enquiry re upgrading. Has anyone done this? Will Oceania (via our TA) do this for us so we can simply pay the difference? Like others, we always fly in at least 1 day in advance as we book our own flights. Would we be able to request flights that accommodate this? Likewise the flight home - we would probably want to stay on in S America for a couple of days.

Hope someone can help, otherwise I guess it's a phone call to our TA who we know deal with Oceania, to get their take on it.

Jo-B

We're on the same cruise as you, Barcelona to Rome. We booked cruise only which saved us a bit and we're using up some BA airmiles. Direct flight from Gatwick, spending 2 nights in Barcelona to have a look round and then four nights touring Italy with a rental car at the other end, flying back from Pisa (again on airmiles). A week's cruise sandwiched between city breaks suits us, cuts down the weight gain a bit! Maybe see you on board - there is a roll call for this trip, are you on it?

Thanks everyone. We are looking at a cruise that includes the Amazon, so long haul. We now only travel economy on short haul, hence the enquiry re upgrading. Has anyone done this? Will Oceania (via our TA) do this for us so we can simply pay the difference? Like others, we always fly in at least 1 day in advance as we book our own flights. Would we be able to request flights that accommodate this? Likewise the flight home - we would probably want to stay on in S America for a couple of days.

Hope someone can help, otherwise I guess it's a phone call to our TA who we know deal with Oceania, to get their take on it.

Take a look at this thread - lots of good info.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2405293

Also, you can do a search on "deviation" here on Oceania forum for more info about deviation and upgrade options.

I would think Oceania would allow you to pay the deviation fee to fly in early & stay on longer at the end of the cruise the same as here in North America

You then getn to choose the flights you want & see if they can get them at no extra charge or a small upcharge

You can see what the credit will be if you do not take the included air & book your own flights if that will work better

You do not pay the deviation fee until you & Oceania agree on the flights

Compare both options before you decide

On some cruises offered here they do have Premium Econ seats for a special price I would check to see if they offer this in the UK

Hello...re cabins on O class ...Best extended cabins......there are only four with this configuration...7008..7009 7111 7108...b3`s....bigger balcony than penthouses!! ...very much in demand...just punch in any one of those cabins for o class.....you will see some pics as to what I am saying.....fortunate to have 7009 on Jan 3rd sailing Riviera

On our return from Rio we upgraded to PE and as far as I can remember we just paid the upgrade costs and no deviation fee. The TA flights IMO are cost effective, especially if flying in and out of different airports.

We booked our own flights for Europe as O's were indirect.

We have booked an extended balcony for our trip next year, we rarely use the spa facilities so decided that maybe this would be good to try.

Don't mind being overlooked as if you're on deck you are seen by everyone anyway, why such a big fuss? :confused:

Finding a sunbed on deck was never a problem.

<<<<<<<<<Is it possible to upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy fare, on an All-Inclusve basis?>>>>>>>>>>>>

We have just booked a cruise out of Miami. We are flying from Heathrow the day before on BA Economy, and returning from MIA on BA World Traveller Plus as it is an overnight flight.

Edited by herandme99
Grammar

On our return from Rio we upgraded to PE and as far as I can remember we just paid the upgrade costs and no deviation fee.

Did you stay extra days after the end of the cruise ???

If not no deviation fee would have been required

Hello...re cabins on O class ...Best extended cabins......there are only four with this configuration...7008..7009 7111 7108...b3`s....bigger balcony than penthouses!! ...very much in demand...just punch in any one of those cabins for o class.....you will see some pics as to what I am saying.....fortunate to have 7009 on Jan 3rd sailing Riviera

Have you actually sailed in one of those "end" extended veranda cabins?

Their verandas are large, but they are VERY exposed.

The verandah of 7009 may be seen just above the left end of the blue line which runs above the name of the ship, in this photo.

b_112319.jpg You may find it cool out there, even in ther Caribbean, in January.

Did you stay extra days after the end of the cruise ???

If not no deviation fee would have been required

Yes you're correct.

We didn't stay for extra days but we have paid a deviation in the past because we chose to fly in early :)

Needed to wrack my brain to remember. :D

Glad that you enjoyed them.

165911.jpgStan and I have been to cocktail parties on those angled end verandas, and, well, they definitely aren't for me.

-and if two loungers fit out there, it must involve losing the standard upright chairs AND using a shoe horn! :eek: