Looks like Anthem is headed to the hurricane aftermath!

Kdamghani

First, I hope everybody in Bermuda stays safe over the next day or so.

Hurricane Nicole is headed to Bermuda and Anthem of the Seas will be on her tail. Hoping the seas die down quickly for our trip on her Saturday.

I hear Anthem handles rough water well ;-)

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/major-hurricane-nicole-atlantic-bermuda

Edited by Kdamghani

By Saturday Nicole will be well away northeast of Bermuda. The effects of the storm should be well past for the crossing to Bermuda. The only question is what damage, if any, Bermuda will have incurred from the storm.

I was on the 9/22 and 10/1 sailings of Anthem, the worst seas we encountered was on our sea day returning from Bermuda, probably 6 to 10 foot swells from forward to across the beam. While there was some rocking, I did not find it too excessive. Remember, when in a high sea state you see someone walking crookedly it means that they haven't had enough to drink, the drunks all walk straight.

We were on allure a few yrs ago five days after a hurricane was long gone and we still had high seas and a lot of front to back rocking for 3 days.You would be in the deep end of the pool and the next minute you were standing in the deep end with the water down to your waist.It was tollerable but kind of sucked.Just saying the swells in the sea can last many days after the actual eye of storm is long gone...Hopefully you have glass seas!

That ship has NO luck.

Wonder if the luck would have been better sailing out of a different port.

Some folks predicted early on that sailing out of Bayonne along with a few of their itineraries would be a problem.

Hope everyone in the path of and near the latest hurricane is safe.

You do realize that Royal Caribbean sailed out of Manhattan long before Cape Liberty was built? The Nordic Prince did the Bermuda run for years tying up in Hamilton before Dockyard was converted.

Cape Liberty is a result of NYC not being very accommodating to Voyager of the Seas.

Grazing a storm at sea just means you have some more interesting sea stories to tell.

Anthem is not in Bermuda, this week they are doing Canada/ New England.

They aren't scheduled to leave for Bermuda from Bayonne until Saturday afternoon, and have yet to decide whether they will go South or North.

Why criticize Anthem and Royal Caribbean for no reason whatsoever ?

Bermuda is uniquely able to meet hurricanes. First of all the coral reef protects it from the most damaging waves. Then most of their roofs are made of limestone. [look at my attached pic] There is a lot of elevation in Bermuda.

We were there in 2012 after a smaller hurricane. There were lots of palm fronds in the yards. [but, people were out early getting them up] The water was murky and not very good for snorkeling; the water was higher than usual; [i.. at Horseshoe Bay the little cove to the left was almost not accessible]; and the ferry to St Georges did not run the first day we were there.

However, we still had a great time. Have a good cruise.

PA190036.jpg.5b9804e956081e36408ed35e62b7d1cf.jpg

I think we all know that. Who was criticizing? I think everyone is just guessing at this point as to what will happen (including myself). :):):)

Agree on all points.

In post #3, there was a reference to the ship not having any luck. In post 7, I mentioned that some other folks previously thought the decision to cruise out of Bayonne this time of year and to the ports scheduled. That's a valid point too...as so far as Anthem has had some "bad luck" in terms of being caught in bad Seas more than once.

In the end, we all share the main point/concern...which is everyone's safety.

Bermuda is uniquely able to meet hurricanes. First of all the coral reef protects it from the most damaging waves. Then most of their roofs are made of limestone. [look at my attached pic] There is a lot of elevation in Bermuda.

We were there in 2012 after a smaller hurricane. There were lots of palm fronds in the yards. [but, people were out early getting them up] The water was murky and not very good for snorkeling; the water was higher than usual; [i.. at Horseshoe Bay the little cove to the left was almost not accessible]; and the ferry to St Georges did not run the first day we were there.

Agree it's a very nice place to visit, but also in a precarious location for storms, which is a shame. Also agree we all hope for the best as the hurricane approaches and passes Bermuda.

Sorry, I just saw the comments on the TV reporters.

I'm also onboard next week, and looking forward to going whichever direction the captain decides.

I hope they suffer little damage, as it's a beautiful island.

Oh...that dumb wisecrack. Lol. You are boarding the 20th? We will have a great time!!!! I can't see any reason for us to go North (unless ANOTHER hurricane heads our way). Fingers crossed. :):):)

No, I am boarding this Saturday, the 15th.

I'm adding jackets and closed shoes to my suitcase, just in case.

Oh, you said next week..lol. Wow, you leave in two days!!! I hope you have a great time, regardless of where you go. I think the ship is the attraction anyway. Have fun and bring the Anthem back in one piece please. :D

This is a Category 3 hurricane. There is going to be major damage. Damage that could make that little cove history. One major hurricane destroyed the major feature of one of the most famous beaches in Bermuda. (Natural Arches) A smaller hurricane a few years ago the Bermudian ferry broke lose and it has not been back in service yet.