Pacific princess hit breakwater In port nice

princessfanboy

There was a guy killed a few years ago on crown, when the water

tight door closed on him.

Apparently, the practice was to activate the door, when it opened

just enough, squeeze through, and then release the control lever.

The control lever broke, or became disengaged at the wrong time.

Pretty gruesome.

NCL had a guy killed also, when the door cut him in two. The door controls default to closed, so unless you hold the handle it will close. In NCL's case, his coveralls got tangled with the mechanism, and he could not get away in time.

Yes, thanks much chengkp 75, for taking the time to share with us. Saves me from having to do a lot of research, while I sit here awaiting news of when, or not, we should start packing to board the good ship Pacific Princess.

One question, you mention redundancy in the toilet vacuum system(s). From what I can glean, from a number of different posts by those on board at the time of the incident, is that the ship’s entire lavatory system went down immediately after contact. Guests then had to use restrooms on shore for most of the day, or until they were disembarked.

The engine room is mainly on the lowest deck (deck 0), but where the actual engines are, the engine room will be two decks high, and then actually continue up to the funnels.

Engineering equipment will be spread throughout the length of the ship. "Compartment 2" would be two compartments back from the collision bulkhead, and would likely contain things like potable water tanks, and non-critical items like the vacuum pumps for the toilets in the forward part of the ship. If there weren't a second set of vacuum pumps aft, even on a small ship like this, I would be surprised.

Thank you for straightening this "land lubber" out Chief.

I was guessing that "Compartment 2" would be the first Compartment forward

on Deck 1, Port Side.

Wasn't aware of the collision bulk head and a Deck "0".

Like others, I am learning quite a bit from your input.

Again, thank you.

Yes, thanks much chengkp 75, for taking the time to share with us. Saves me from having to do a lot of research, while I sit here awaiting news of when, or not, we should start packing to board the good ship Pacific Princess.

One question, you mention redundancy in the toilet vacuum system(s). From what I can glean, from a number of different posts by those on board at the time of the incident, is that the ship’s entire lavatory system went down immediately after contact. Guests then had to use restrooms on shore for most of the day, or until they were disembarked.

Even a small ship like Pacific should have had a couple of vacuum systems, but I can't say for sure. Typically, a ship will have 2 or more sets of vacuum pumps that serve sections of the ship, which are all independent, so that a failure of one system doesn't take all the toilets out. These independent systems will then transfer the "product" to a main holding tank where it will then proceed to the treatment plant.

According to yellowfish (jeanie) her and G are still in Nice. She sounded very discouraged. They are staying there because they dont want to go to Barcelona. Basically she said they are on their own for the next 12 days and the refund they got does not cover what their expenses will be. She doesnt know if Princess insurance will cover anything. This will be a good test for insurance to see what they do cover.

We were in st. Petersburg and a friend got noro and had to stay in room. They gave him back 2 days worth of cruise cost for trip interruption.

Wishing jeanie and G well and hope they find somewhere to call home for 12 days. If it were me I would head to Italy and spend 12 days.

They would probably be able to head to Rome and rent a flat for a week for maybe $100 per night. There is certainly plenty to keep busy with in that city for a week, then perhaps do the same in Florence for the rest of the time they have. They can save a bundle on laundry and food if they rent a flat with a kitchen and washer/dryer.

I feel so sorry for those affected by the cancellation of the Oct. 16 voyage and for those on pins and needles about whether any future sailings will be affected. I'm sure some arrived in Barcelona only to find out about the cancellation, then after a long journey trying to scramble to find something else to do, to extend their hotel stay or to line up transportation back home. Regardless of the compensation, it will be very upsetting to many.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I was just thinking the same thing.

Yes, thanks much chengkp 75, for taking the time to share with us....

Please add my thanks for your explanations.

One of your most interesting threads related to surge protectors on ships. I learned a lot from your postings.

PescadoAmarillo,

You might want to try the American Embassy. After all you are in need of help and maybe they might offer some. You are stranded in Europe for 12 days.

https://fr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/

I think you are quite ill informed about what the American Embassy can or will do for a traveler. There is actually little they do--they will issue a replacement passport, contact family back in the States if the traveler is ill or under arrest. They can help with emergency repatriation--but the traveler will be billed for all costs. They can offer information on English speaking doctors and hospitals in the region. That's about it.

I think you are quite ill informed about what the American Embassy can or will do for a traveler. There is actually little they do--they will issue a replacement passport, contact family back in the States if the traveler is ill or under arrest. They can help with emergency repatriation--but the traveler will be billed for all costs. They can offer information on English speaking doctors and hospitals in the region. That's about it.

From my experiences (two times), I received help when it was need.

1. Issue replacement passport

2. Contact family in the USA if there is a problem

3. Help arrange emergency trip home

4. Find English speaking doctors and hospitals

If I'm stuck in a country where I don't speak the language, I don't think that is "actually little." The only negative in your list is that they won't pay for your ticket home. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone on this thread suggested they would.

Has anyone on the next cruise, Oct 28 to Nov 09, received any information or contact from Princess? Wondering at what point we should start considering alternate plans. Thanks for any info provided.

John & Patsy

I'm also booked on the Oct 28 cruise, but unfortunately I have not heard anything. I check this thread constantly, hoping to learn something. My level of optimism swings wildly, but that's based more on my mood than on the facts. There aren't many facts. Thanks to those who posted the reports they found elsewhere. The press usually loves a cruise ship accident story, but apparently not this one.

I can tell you that when we had a cruise re-scheduled on short notice (delayed embarkation 2 or 3 days and changed embarkation port) after Hurricane Sandy, we received direct communication from Princess, even though we had booked through a TA. I still have the email in my archive, so I know they sent email, and I believe they also texted me and called our house with an automated message. So I believe we'll know as soon as there's any decision to make a change. If they decide not to change anything, though, we may be kind of left guessing.

1. Issue replacement passport

2. Contact family in the USA if there is a problem

3. Help arrange emergency trip home

4. Find English speaking doctors and hospitals

If I'm stuck in a country where I don't speak the language, I don't think that is "actually little." The only negative in your list is that they won't pay for your ticket home. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone on this thread suggested they would.

However none of that pertains to the poster who has found themselves in limbo due to the cancellation in the middle of a B2B2B.

They would probably be able to head to Rome and rent a flat for a week for maybe $100 per night. There is certainly plenty to keep busy with in that city for a week, then perhaps do the same in Florence for the rest of the time they have. They can save a bundle on laundry and food if they rent a flat with a kitchen and washer/dryer.

Judging from her last blog post, Yellowfish and her hubby are probably winging their way back to the States and home now. Sad, because, from the time of the incident, they will have lost out on 67 days at sea, that they had paid for and were anticipating, on board the Pacific Princess.

As she said, traveling over to Barcelona made no sense for them as they would have to be on their own and pay their own way back to Civitavecchia, 14 days later in order to catch the Pacific Princess there, sailing on Oct. 28th. (If, in fact that next segment doesn’t get axed as well.)

As for making due up in Rome, that would certainly be a possibility for them if they could handle the expense and get reservations, etc. But as they say, they spend their winters on the sea, and hanging out in Rome for almost two weeks is not being on the sea.

I can just see it -

Pax: "Help!... we've been inconvenienced on our $40,000, 77-night Mediterranean cruise."

Embassy staff: "So?"

*Not stating this as fact at all...just wondering...I got to thinking today that perhaps the Hotel General Manager is suspecting the repairs might take longer than the next cruise by the fact that he recommended they fly home. As others have said, 2 weeks in the Med would be doable with the refund Princess is giving. It's certainly cheaper than paying a last minute one way fare from the U.S. for 2 people to rejoin the cruise in 2 weeks. Maybe the officers believe it could be a lengthy repair. I haven't found any new articles online.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

*Not stating this as fact at all...just wondering...I got to thinking today that perhaps the Hotel General Manager is suspecting the repairs might take longer than the next cruise by the fact that he recommended they fly home. As others have said, 2 weeks in the Med would be doable with the refund Princess is giving. It's certainly cheaper than paying a last minute one way fare from the U.S. for 2 people to rejoin the cruise in 2 weeks. Maybe the officers believe it could be a lengthy repair. I haven't found any new articles online.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was wondering the same thing.

After the Star Princess fire Princess didn't immediately cancel more than the next sailing to begin with. And we knew that there was so much damage the ship would be out of commission for a while.

Hopefully this time there isn't a lot and it will return to service soon.