Help Looking for Beach in Costa Maya

pinkaboo

A family of 8 will be going to Costa Maya and we would really like it to be a nice easy breezy day at the beach. Any suggestions where there's no drop off in the water.. It's nothing worse than strolling into the water and your next step drops about 3-5 feet unexpectedly..

Oh and try getting up 3-5 feet.. Now that's the challenge.. lol

So, we're Looking for a nice beach with facilities and hopefully a little food.

We went to Anthony's Maya Key (RT64 if booked thru RC) and it was wonderful. There were 50 - 60 people that went, so it wasn't crowded at all. They have a nice beach area, with a long pier for snorkeling, which my wife was blown away by. I walked out about 20 feet, and the water was still only chest high. I'm 6'1".

The island also has an animal sanctuary, with many colorful birds, monkeys, a jaguar, and a puma, among others. There's an area were you can interact with a group of baby monkeys. That was fun, even for the adults.

There's a large swimming pool available for those who'd rather not do the ocean. We only walked by.

Our tickets included lunch, which was wonderful.

Costa Maya is probably the easiest & cheapest port in the Caribbean.

You take the $2 / 5 min shuttle to Majahual.

Get off at the 1st or second stop.

Walk down either the road or beach.

There will be numerous establishments, one after another with chairs/loungers/umbrellas, food, drinks, etc.

The guys will be trying to lure you in to their own place with drink & food specials.

Its hard too choose a place, I usually look for the nicer,newer chairs or one with a few other people. You can also look at the different menus.

If you want to see what it looks like, do a web search on Majahual, not Costa Maya, and look at the images.,,

Edited by matj2000

Another vote here for Maya Chan. Hubby & I went a few years ago on an NCL cruise, and we are going back this Christmas when we'll be on the Oasis.

You can make the arrangement online for your family. They will set up a private palapa for your group. If you have children, let them know, and they will provide beach toys, etc. Lunch & drinks (open bar) are included in the price.

They do have "turtle grass" in the water, but they do their best to keep their area groomed. I was able to go out in a inner-tube and go floating around. People were out in canoes, wading, swimming, etc.

Hubby is not that into beaches, but said it was his favorite day on our cruise.

http://costamayabeachresort.com/

I'll cast another vote for Maya Chan. The water is not your "postcard" Caribbean azul color, but anyplace where the staff rows out in a kayak to bring me another beer as I float around in a lounger has a customer for life........

mac_tlc

I agree with walking through the shop area and catching a taxi ($2 ea) to Mahahua, about 5 minute ride. Check out The Tropicante Beach Bar & Grill.. The owner, Steve, will reserve loungers,chairs, tables, umbrella etc for you for free..just order a drink or food at some point during your stay. Find info are http://www.sandalsandskis.com. and Facebook..Tropicante has wonderful reviews on Trip Advisor, too. He treats customers like family and provides great service! We enjoyed our day and didn't go far from the ship..

We have enjoyed El Tropicante and Krazy Lobster. These are restaurants that have beach access. They cost nothing, they just request you purchase some food or drink. Not hey both offer beach chairs and umbrellas and free wifi for free. I prefer El Tropicante for the beach, no rocks and gradual entry. Krazy Lobster had a very rocky entry and a drop off of about 2 feet. Thought food was better at ET, but cheaper at KL. Take a taxi over to Mahahaul for $2/pp, walk out the gate and taxis are on the right. The shuttle inside the gate is $3/pp. El Tropicante does have a website where you can make advance reservations for free and it is owned by Steve Uhl from Dallas, TX.

The beach resorts are all inclusives for about $50/pp. You can make this a real inexpensive beach day. There is also a new water park that is suppose to be a lot of fun with huge slides and a lazy river offers by the cruise line.

Carla

I am not sure if any one mentioned this place. take a 5 minute bus ride to the fishing village of mahaulaul(spelling is off I am sure). we got an all inclsive for 30 $ each which included food drinks kayaks and chairs . the food was bar food cerviche, fish tacos and like food . was an relaxing beach day . the own came from England. he said he sells the same package to the cruise ships which charged 69$.He forced me to take a couple drinks with me on the bus ride back LOL.

I agree with walking through the shop area and catching a taxi ($2 ea) to Mahahua, about 5 minute ride. Check out The Tropicante Beach Bar & Grill.. The owner, Steve, will reserve loungers,chairs, tables, umbrella etc for you for free..just order a drink or food at some point during your stay. Find info are http://www.sandalsandskis.com. and Facebook..Tropicante has wonderful reviews on Trip Advisor, too. He treats customers like family and provides great service! We enjoyed our day and didn't go far from the ship..

+1. We took our 2 adult age kids here. Unlimited tab... ate, drank, had 2 massages on the beach. Treated like kings. Spent $250 for all, icluding a bottle of booze and a great tip for the staff. Had great chat with the owner, an American ex-pat.

Definitely recommend.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Edited by shellunderwater

If you want a fairly cheap place to take the kids, there is a large FREE pool with lounge chairs and sand just through the shops. It has a swim up bar on both sides. Fairly shallow. Drinks are $14 for palm tree glasses and $16 for a yard. No small cups (at least at the swim up).

Another vote for Majahual . . . beautiful area, beach with many local set ups, great boardwalk walking area with locals crafts for sale, $5. round trip from port. Makes for a perfect and inexpensive great beach day.

My vote also, safe, no hassle and cheap.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you want a fairly cheap place to take the kids, there is a large FREE pool with lounge chairs and sand just through the shops. It has a swim up bar on both sides. Fairly shallow. Drinks are $14 for palm tree glasses and $16 for a yard. No small cups (at least at the swim up).

Not really a cheap place as you just pointed out in the drink prices.

It is worth the 5 min ride into town and get away from the generic tourist trap port area.

Some of the beaches you see listed on this tread are beaches you pay for they are not free...they are nice tho!

Agree, I prefer Majahual ( free beach) you only need to pay for chair and maybe umbrella. Just get in the beach they give you a price and if you don't like it way away a new feet and a new offer from another business will come. Just pick the one that you like. Save 2$ for the taxi

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Definitely Mahajual,

Here are a few pics from the beaches in the downtown area. Great place to just chill and relax with a great beach. I think the beach we stayed at was in front of the Cats Meow.

d7LBcEXkp1eK66DhnTHYtOatiCZz5OLZRYLIoJuHUJicsDhE9GGGEX3DSAL9JFVs8-a48B7t_sh49u8EwoC87EN7_bjqu-Me6G8ecCxpMCwHNLsd-hQGKcoDj1vQPToazeJi8eO3wSdTvxdg-DrlgyyRTgFKIdSBI_e5f5UKu8UN83UBfc8VzEm5mdJUQ74WMbRnagytxuWkLo5qzyWK2v-u-CN07OqUpaKZxe55aNt7CexX3pC16PaimecJwuF1bR-7Gk7VQMlMhiq_H_B3MUG8hNzGymLkeYsOizKRy6VmrbTmtsH-AWk89XpSXuyB-_NU3z2Cvewsc9OfmMmJ1iYVlxlW4ixfELpjPfQSLjzDFON6-99hdaPIHIDGnPI-DVceXHUIUuBtG67_HTc2BjqYGB8lXEP-qm1Z-up0C8p3KBLV3aX2xRC5YPE34C7gxe8oPDvF_OI2Hk2yJ7C1e7XPcDC4OxVO_6DeRBCSQmAJof72b_2nikdzmpgPRkdK0uYO_cy3PaonnLXLZF1EFOblUFQdKeEF5Sn9b2pjdASpV4VcXs77l0y25ATtPyfDkp-x_raR47ZYywG1L0O-K4GdzT-kvtfGPFJSZ0CIy78lNRvMHQ=w1224-h918-no

P1NzLyttwHhQiukMYzKVIfJrDYrCanHasH3rCJAsjG8wcRbRxkBGM4EgwX9cj9LHPuHc1XweLMOZLMy1oKjagXCw18gn3XWXuOy4hOk5YtNya8Q2IfaJdKlkE8A1_WZUphPfHTSWjj306e1fBBEaLphXpGR8kJSNNbq8XW2BgNPC0GjnFFA1xLwf7rbV0Wsmk_A63Ab1Z2eBcH42xgF5kXMFZPtdUt7mWSSm9luCTauokt7kB1VhVrCBVd5NSTUU244LWi6eN_-MH4LwEt6X5DkkZoI9PtYTqdmJsWIV8afFkd8flawiG-hULLsDrjMgAItfDvaTYt3c1mKOMjN_HUKI02GmyTFQIu_jdYbMD7ZDes177hDEBkmYC5d0u0HrxZQzU4yC0ww6qplzQpZyJNZ68MvNhIsI4ENYkoVkZqzJoIFrtxjdA6i-m96a79t39tqI3hqHIDobrhsHWjEl5dfj7VSJ1DVK0VC7cBAA3G7SH96EgOj1SZUdouN6Fvqy_fp52ChsiInhz8CYH2-Ra1rLd645s-bJlF_igXddOeq8HTBhaeOBQqLLqwGDc-hqDA-KKiWws4rVoPNKCmOufytSbxz-tshfau_edyADk6fiOm8Kfw=w1224-h918-no

YuyK-NLdpi8eo1FEWZcbT82jVN3UaexQYtFRG4xEzOHeWpC5E_tec081dIWM9cL2cNa38arJ6OSjgHWI9LtcYccoijbMjqasY8JxkHsW9z2caA7WtjhmmX4Bqnm2lAYYwqY_M0reRCr8ohg_EZsouDcZkjGDG0Z-oYteSBxsx9wA7ZwXcZjkqhNE_93ts5aJgsuUYNVYHA9XTl0lqj98zXTXY18qy6BnKBgWDoPmRzj1sFba80vS1Hq0aYxfgyFPbAjO_SGh4ZK6ORC8cIcPwbrt4gHSqUkKsYiul0i-I5DkuyoIes7yZWsfThzzooBZMFZhysTnTw4aDOWHHtmFVObEFePlJc-jTqKPflVjWvc1kWnKnwumcUvAbnjO3e2c_klDd5_knwz8KptArXzhSgfof_Ex4Q5VNkk8sobmTHzu63RCoOXTaOAOysF0m4lePvKwifkABz4OqAOEL3Qet3C-SlV5E6LOLEvVMGP4xvRrnQ-VzFZ3zI3-4bh6DMDGvCeURaHv1wy3LxwZqC_i1-9J5WOw79NMOiseF2WjISGyGyVA1aGUKfCeq1OkkdeWoYfdft61u-DlKcqz43Qrv2T8lfPVgKe0WGRUsY1ecvpTwtdoOw=w1224-h918-no

Looking back at the beach

5G0AsvnN_rYiczVyLxX3oLnHL3LWjI5k9zTSMPYZB2EbswVLWNOYA1z2vC73dQlef2iLuzF1ZMRXi6Cen512vJNl342O0PQ2rasR66btYm7UivenNIPD0vt855vramy2gD8pgd_-cmZW3w75DY7Nn9g0acHXTyWy4kqKh5Vj_E3GC8fNph_h8fkAKYUfP4NFy6h4kTLpJjUDTQxJiGykKcLS9nCOsrL9XMWLqCMNQzTJKYXF3xothjA1P4M_SaYi33tu6zZuWonLW7cSvCQGkl7Lnr8VIbVfrH8d-SZjsTSoqG674dKNvgsclbK1uw0b2fpl1RlI8y5lbRbPvqFKpYH0J9xOXNYGjK-kJayON4jIm6qpkEaCNe3wJYi9z7CNL77uQap_4eY5OyXt3a61kMJs0wHUT43zeencOqo44YekuNDLa1Q-N23pqH-ZX7Bi3fJKxPp6Q4mfIdwQs4HD044858xkxmiEmNeKJ1p8Dda-Q_XndOcJpHvzp1bMPGWOX2oCs80_AuvAs3Iz5Jc70Eqpl_A8UgSHod6dBVo-iljcbqyVMiBYaTid98k383QCA37Eb6-wIfBg6ygbl-mWOPmUi8HJHz2mhHr2tjvNwGJGpfnR=w1224-h918-no