Passports refused

stev5138

Don't know... would never take that chance! :eek:

On a side note, when we were checking out of our hotel in Seattle the clerk told us the story of a large family going on an Alaskan cruise the week before. There were several family members, multiple generations, with the oldest being a couple in their 80's. The man didn't even know he needed his passport, last time he went to Canada he didn't need it. There was nothing that could be done and he was left behind!!

So again, there's no reason to take the chance of not having the proper documents.

It depends on where you are going???

The 6 month rule does NOT apply to every country and certainly does NOT apply to closed loop cruises where you don't even need a passport at all to travel!

IF you are flying to Barcelona to cruise from there then you need at least 3 months on your passport not 6.

IF you are just taking a Caribbean cruise it doesn't matter.

Anyone ever refused for using a passport that expires less than six months of return?

No blanket rule here. Carnival will respond according to the requirements of the countries included in the itinerary.

Carnival has precious few itineraries that even require a passport for a US citizen.

No, not for anything that I go on, I don't worry about it. Mine expires 6 months from now. Planned on renewing it before we left but will do it after we get back and before our April cruise since it expires the week before that one.

I'm not worried about it not being accepted, I'm just going to Progresso and Coz, no place that has restrictions on the length of expiration so no worries.

Anyone ever refused for using a passport that expires less than six months of return?

I was heading to Bermuda and renewed my passport 7 months in advance just to be safe. It's best to consult the Dept of State web page for a list of countries that require current passports with more than 6 months to their expiry date.

Knowing that, the requirement is mainly for land based visits rather than cruises that Carnival operates.

Mine expires in June of 2017. Looking at possibly booking short cruise in January but talking HMC, Nassau, Freeport ports.

While I do plan renewing as soon as I get 'round to making an appt to fit my & DH's schedules, had hoped to just use PA Driver's License unless something has changed recently as to rules.

Mine expires in June of 2017. Looking at possibly booking short cruise in January but talking HMC, Nassau, Freeport ports.

While I do plan renewing as soon as I get 'round to making an appt to fit my & DH's schedules, had hoped to just use PA Driver's License unless something has changed recently as to rules.

Renewing is easy and doesn't require an appointment. The entire application can be filled out online, printed, and mailed in with a photo and your old passport. There are even apps for taking passport pictures that you can save and print for a few cents at Walmart, etc. Just letting you know so that it doesn't seem like such a daunting task (I was dreading it)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Why do you need an appt to renew? Just get a new photo and mail that, the renewal form, passport and payment in.

Go Steelers!

All good ideas but........ If you were travelling with just a passport and did not bring your BC then??? A call to CCL stated that they are aware of this requirement and it is out of their control. You may or may not be allowed to board. They said that you have a very good chance of your PP being accepted but not guaranteed. If you fall into this category, you may want to take both.

Good news no appt needed. Had thought a trip to post office required. Know I had gotten passport pictures from AAA last time that PO rejected, so I thought it safer to use their services.

I use to do passports for the PO and have seen a lot of places that do mess up the photos, including AAA. Make sure you got a 2x2 photo, white background and a good face shot. Oh, and keep your eyes open.....lol

Edited by d12j28

Renewing is easy and doesn't require an appointment. The entire application can be filled out online, printed, and mailed in with a photo and your old passport. There are even apps for taking passport pictures that you can save and print for a few cents at Walmart, etc. Just letting you know so that it doesn't seem like such a daunting task (I was dreading it)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Kids (under 16) have to be renewed in person. Renewals are treated like new applications.

Sixteen year olds gettting their first adult passport must also apply in person one last time.

Edited by Kevin

All good ideas but........ If you were travelling with just a passport and did not bring your BC then??? A call to CCL stated that they are aware of this requirement and it is out of their control. You may or may not be allowed to board. They said that you have a very good chance of your PP being accepted but not guaranteed. If you fall into this category, you may want to take both.

If you have a passport why would you need a BC. I have not seen my BC is over 20 years and why would I? Passport is the gold standard in identification.

Because...... As the post stated. If you have a PP that expires less than 6 months from your return. It may not be accepted It is in your CCL contract. The post was intended to inform those persons that may fall into this category. I believe you must have one or the other. The BC would be just in case.

Some countries only require your passport be valid for 3 months, but really, if it's that close it's time to renew anyways and just do it. I was surprised to find that when my daughter needed her passport renewed this year, we were able to do it at the county courthouse as the office of the Prothonotary, they accepted walk ins once a week I believe, and there was no line, no need for an appointment, and the employees were substantially less bothered by my being there than the post office. It also could not have been any faster--in and out in less than 5 minutes, whereas the post office feels like it takes a lifetime.

In that case you would just need your birth certificate. Although, now there are some questions regarding our driver's licenses here in PA because we don't have the "enhanced" driver's licenses, so you probably want to get your passport updated just in case. No one knows how it's going to work yet, BUT people are starting to get concerned that our PA DL's wont be acceptable for when trying to fly since it is not "enhanced."

I live on the other side of the state from you, but in Bucks County I was able to renew my daughter's passport quite painlessly, I would look into that. We were in and out in about five minutes--I spent more time parking and walking to the building than actually signing everything.

Carnival requires guests to provide proper travel documentation in order to travel. The documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise and is the responsibility of the guest. Our policy states that any guest traveling without proper documentation will be denied boarding the ship and will be under full penalty, and therefore, will not be offered a refund or a replacement cruise. Guests must contact the appropriate embassy or consulate of the countries they will be visiting for specific travel documentation requirements. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of Immigration requirements.

On occasion, U.S. Permanent Residents may be asked to surrender their Permanent Resident Card and/or passport at time of check-in. This document will be returned upon completion of the immigration inspection at the time of debarkation.

Carnival highly recommends that all guests travel with a passport valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel unless otherwise noted differently.

Personally, Cruise Critic is the last place I'd seek information about using a passport close to its expiration date. What you end up getting is mostly anecdotal guidance, some of it good, some of it not so good. Carnival Cruise Lines (or airlines for that matter) do not make the rules on passport validity...the State Department is the source for that.

Start with this State Dept web page:

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2014/09/231319.htm