Long Beach pier expansion

jimbo5544

Please, please, please, please, please...

Basic geography may never give us as many destinations as the Caribbean, but it'd be nice to not have to leave the Left Coast to have more options!

Agree with you!

Please, please. please, please...

Yea this is great news for the west coast! Lots of possibilities for some new longer Journeys cruise itineraries. Plus, many much needed jobs.

We just stayed on the Queen Mary for our pre-cruise. She really could use some TLC. We were discussing how perfect it would be if Carnival Corp. took on the Queen Mary. Since Carnival Corp. owns Cunard it seems like a perfect fit. They could offer pre-cruise packages. Make it happen Carnival!

Wouldn't it be nice to get the Vista or even the Breeze here or one of the new ones to be built. It would be great to get to go to Ixtapa /Zihuatinahu (sp) again. We will wait and see :)

If I were you I would be happy with a bigger newer ship. They tried the new ship with the Splendor and the west coast could not fill her. Rumor has it you will get another chance with the Splendor. That said, I would love for them to do some unique cruises (north bound hitting San Francisco, Seattle and Vancouver), which could attract a whole different clientele.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One bad thing about a larger ship is for the Hawaii cruises. A ship larger than a Spirit class ship won't be able to go to Kauai. When the Splendor went to Hawaii, it wasn't able to dock there.

It will be interesting to see if the"new" ship doe the Hawaii route of either the Legend or Miracle. Who knows, the Horizon may go down under.......

Yea this is great news for the west coast! Lots of possibilities for some new longer Journeys cruise itineraries. Plus, many much needed jobs.

We just stayed on the Queen Mary for our pre-cruise. She really could use some TLC. We were discussing how perfect it would be if Carnival Corp. took on the Queen Mary. Since Carnival Corp. owns Cunard it seems like a perfect fit. They could offer pre-cruise packages. Make it happen Carnival!

I believe the county (or the city) owns the QM and I doubt you would see Carnival get into that. We did a stay pre cruise about 5 years ago when the Splendor was there. Not sure what you mean about the TLC.

Edited by jimbo5544

A bigger terminal handling larger ships would mean more part time jobs to process passengers but dont see how this would provide much in the way of good jobs.

Since the Splendor would only be replacing the Miracle dont see it as doing too much for local economy.

Doesn't Princess go to Kauai? Princess sails from just a couple miles to the south of Long Beach.

I'm so tired of the Miracle and can't wait to see if a new ship comes here (but not the Splendor).

LOL, maybe you should put your order in now.....

It would be great to get to go to Ixtapa /Zihuatinahu (sp) again.

It was the Spirit (same class as the Miracle) that did that itinerary before. So we don't need a larger ship to make that run, just need Carnival to decide to do it.

My only hesitation in adding a larger ship is the infrastructure at the port. Long Beach is already supporting 3 ships, and the parking garage can get pretty full. Another ship, especially a large one, could be problematic. Now if they added another garage, OK. But that would take a long time to complete.

And if they are talking about replacing a ship, that too would be unfortunate IMHO. I really like Spirit class ships. They are my favorite. I'd hate to lose the Miracle. And as the two fantasy ships fill up pretty far in advance, I doubt that they would get rid of one of them.

All speculation, of course, so it will be interesting to watch it all unfold.

Bob

Last paragraph was interesting. Are they implying the Splendor IS coming back.

And second, don't the "Carnival officials" know the Splendor use to port at Long Beach?

Given the latest booking available for the Splendor right now is at the end of December 2017, this seems to fit. Another user posted that Miracle is supposed to head to Tampa when Splendor heads to Long Beach. Presumably Horizon would backfill Splendor's spot in Fort Lauderdale. Miracle is not scheduled for 2018 cruises yet either.

How this plays into the Splendor heading to China I have no idea - it could still happen in 2019, or it may not happen at all. If Splendor still heads to China, some port in North America may be down a ship until the new LNG-powered ship arrives in 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year we sailed Princess from San Pedro which is due north of Long Beach. Where is Princess sailing from now that is to the south of Long Beach?

You are correct, not sure what that other person knows about Princess sailing from south of Long Beach, that would be news to me. Maybe she'll come back and fill us in.