Question about upgrading after final payment

tybeelucy2

This is only my second cruise, so I'm not sure how this works.

I called our TA today to see about upgrading from an ocean view room to a verandah and was told it would be $900. We made our final payment in September. Cruise is in Dec.

If I go through the booking process for a new booking on Celebrity's website, the same cruise with the same perks is only $240 more than what I paid. So $900 to upgrade an existing cruise seems awfully high to me?

What am I missing here? I booked this cruise on our last cruise and it was transferred to our TA, so will it do any good to call Celebrity directly?

Thank you

I worked with my TA for an upgrade after final payment. Here's what the situation is/was...

I had booked a XC (concierge guarantee, which a few days later was assigned a specific cabin) with go best (all 4 perks) for an amount $Y. I fully paid $Y.

After final payment, due to some sales from Celebrity, the XA (aquaclass guarantee, now with an assigned cabin) was now just slightly less than $Y. [note: this new price is what is shown on Celebrity's website; even though other websites showed less, they included resident discounts or other non-perkable rates]

I called my TA and they were able to "upgrade" me to the XA, although it didn't cost me anything out of pocket. I kept my 4 perks, as well as the prior agreed-upon additional OBC.

The key for me was to (daily) watch the prices on Celebrity's website to see when an AquaClass dropped to a low enough rate. I tried a few times earlier unsuccessfully, as the rates I was comparing against were from other TA's (again, different perks) and not Celebrity's site.

Good luck!

Edited by killsport
easier to read

I understand you can upgrade after final pymt as long as it is at least $1.00 more. Honestly I have never been able to get an upgrade that way. I have tried but they always want way more money and reduced perks. I do think the Exciting Deals do not have perks.

So I called back and got another rep at my TA. After an hour on the phone with her and her calling Celebrity direct, I was able to upgrade for $250 plus I got an extra $25 OBC!

My friend who booked directly with Celebrity was able to get the same deal.

I'm pretty happy with that~!

I was told that we couldn't upgrade in the sale because we already had a promotional price and after final you can't switch promotions. We had a groupx promotional price. The Celebrity rep couldn't get the change accepted in the system for this reason. If anyone gets this to work, please post!

We are on the Silhouette sailing on 12/11/16 and had an A-1 booked with their Go big promotion of a $300 OBC. I just called my TA to see if we could upgrade to Go Best for an additional $247.00 total. While we have never bought the premium alcohol package, we figured these perks were too good to pass on for $247.00. Celebrity did allow us to upgrade.

We had an AQ cabin (group price with on-line TA) and a month before sailing I saw a guarantee suite for $25/pp more than we had paid for the AQ cabin. A once in a lifetime deal. Only bad thing was, it was not assigned till 3 days before we sailed and I was very nervous when I saw that my original cabin was already given to someone else. We got one of the best SS1 suites. Thank you Celebrity for the great memories we now have of that trip.

We are on the 12/11/16 Silhouette and had a veranda. The price for CC with GO Best dropped and we were able to move from a Go Better. The price quoted was less than our paid price. We upgraded and the price was $34 less than our original price, but we had the Best package. He could not refund the $34. But why argue? We got a good deal and did not lose our $450OBC. Last week I tried to upgrade and would pay more and lose the $450 OBC. Guess it is based who you talk with. See you on the 11th.

We are on the Silhouette sailing on 12/11/16 and had an A-1 booked with their Go big promotion of a $300 OBC. I just called my TA to see if we could upgrade to Go Best for an additional $247.00 total. While we have never bought the premium alcohol package, we figured these perks were too good to pass on for $247.00. Celebrity did allow us to upgrade.

Did you sign up for the roll call?

We booked with a fairly large online TA. We are still outside of final payment for a few weeks. I have called twice about upgrading cabins and gotten entirely different responses.

We currently have Go Best with $100 TA OBC on top of that. I could do without the extra $100 but I do want Go Best. Wish we could go into more detail about TA's here since my response were so very different. I'm planning on calling after final payment at this point and if it doesn't work we will be fine staying put.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So I called back and got another rep at my TA. After an hour on the phone with her and her calling Celebrity direct, I was able to upgrade for $250 plus I got an extra $25 OBC!

My friend who booked directly with Celebrity was able to get the same deal.

I'm pretty happy with that~!

To further update my own post, we upgraded to a guarantee veranda and the cabin was assigned the next morning and is not only a veranda, but concierge class! Our friends who did the same did not get a concierge class, but got an A1 (or is it 1A) veranda on the hump with a larger balcony.

We have upgraded 7 out of 7 cruises with Celebrity and always after final payment. I will book a cabin that we can live with and then wait for the prices to drop after FP then just call whoever I booked with. We have always had to give up something for a upgrade either perks or cash. We once even got the penthouse on the Summit for much less then the published rate. Just remember it doesn't hurt to ask.

We have upgraded 7 out of 7 cruises with Celebrity and always after final payment. I will book a cabin that we can live with and then wait for the prices to drop after FP then just call whoever I booked with. We have always had to give up something for a upgrade either perks or cash. We once even got the penthouse on the Summit for much less then the published rate. Just remember it doesn't hurt to ask.

This only works if the cruise has plenty of inventory left after FB. In the past few cruises I've sailed on, the ship was sold out. So this game plan doesn't always apply.. Best to book what you can live with just in case is the best plan.

Edited by 1cruiselvr

To further update my own post, we upgraded to a guarantee veranda and the cabin was assigned the next morning and is not only a veranda, but concierge class! Our friends who did the same did not get a concierge class, but got an A1 (or is it 1A) veranda on the hump with a larger balcony.

Thank you for coming back to tell us how everything worked out. Glad you got a nice cabin and you will get more tier points/day also with Concierge. If your friends' cabin is on deck 11 it is an A1 (aqua class) and they would be eating in Blu and you would not, so you might want to check on that. If the cabin is on deck 6, 7. 8, or 9, it is a 1A. HTH.

I was able to get an upgrade from veranda to concierge class and to keep all perks. The new cabin is less than we paid, so no charge for upgrade. It really depends on who you speak to, because some of the reps know how to do the upgrade and some don't.

All cruiselines seem to have the same inconsistencies in the answers you get. I'm just really glad to get this upgrade. Thank you to everyone who has reported here.

Edited by royalcruz

Thank you for coming back to tell us how everything worked out. Glad you got a nice cabin and you will get more tier points/day also with Concierge. If your friends' cabin is on deck 11 it is an A1 (aqua class) and they would be eating in Blu and you would not, so you might want to check on that. If the cabin is on deck 6, 7. 8, or 9, it is a 1A. HTH.

Thank you. It's a 1A. They are on the same deck as us, deck 7, just a few doors down but they didn't get the concierge upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Found that with Celebrity and other cruiselines, getting changes/additions depend on whom you speak with.

I also think it depends on how assertive and ambitious your TA is.

About 3 weeks ago someone on my roll call stated that prices dropped for our Windsurf cruise. This was after final payment. She said she received an OBC.

I wrote my TA and asked if I could get an OBC also. Was told that Windstar said no because I booked before a certain date.

Yesterday, another person wrote saying that rates dropped again and she got an OBC.

I contacted my TA and asked that he contact Windstar for me to see if I could somehow get an OBC. Got $100.