First Time River Cruise - Also as a solo!

Chef Heather

Tea Bag, what specifically did the negative reviews mention? I've not sailed AMA, but have only heard good things about them from people who have.

Roz

Yes, I had only heard good things too and that is why we booked. Here is a link to what I read, hope it doesn't put you off.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k4688589-AMA_Waterways-Cruises.html

Russian cruises on any line are different, and people need to know that going in. I read the replied to the review, and it looks like the reviewer didn't understand what they were signing up for. That said, I plan on taking a Russian river cruise in the next 2 yrs., and people I personally know who have done one enjoyed it. Russian is way behind in developing a robust tourist trade and infrastructure. The ships used for Russian river cruises are leased from Russian companies or the government, and the crews are Russian.

I wouldn't let one review stop me from taking an AMA cruise. Are you taking a Russian river cruise with them?

Roz

Russian cruises on any line are different, and people need to know that going in. I read the replied to the review, and it looks like the reviewer didn't understand what they were signing up for. That said, I plan on taking a Russian river cruise in the next 2 yrs., and people I personally know who have done one enjoyed it. Russian is way behind in developing a robust tourist trade and infrastructure. The ships used for Russian river cruises are leased from Russian companies or the government, and the crews are Russian.

I wouldn't let one review stop me from taking an AMA cruise. Are you taking a Russian river cruise with them?

Roz

I don't remember reading one about Russia. I read one where they thought the food was just OK (China, I think) and another where they said the staff were unsmiling, one where everyone got sick (respiratory) and a big long one where they are looking for compensation. Anyway, we are booked so I'm not reading any more Trip Advisor. The Cruise Critic ones are much more positive.

No, we are not sailing to Russia. We are going from Budapest to Amsterdam and really looking forward to it.

Have you been to Russia?

Edited by TeaBag

No, I haven't been there, but took 5 semesters of Russian (within the past couple of years) so I'm anxious to visit some day. You're correct that the Cruise Critic reviews are more positive.

Roz

Wow, good for you. I would think Russian would be really hard to learn since the written language is so different. We did a Baltic cruise last year and we were blown away by St Petersburg. Much of it was restored, of course, but so beautiful.

• 3 months later...
Hi Heather - just saw your post did you end up booking a cruise. I am doing a River Cruise solo in April going from Passau and ending up in Budapest. I do not look on here too often so email me at ellen.norris10@wowway.com and communicate with me if you can.

Hi Ellen,

I actually ended up talking hubby into joining me, we are going on Uniworld Castles of the Rhine on May 14th. Have a wonderful time on your cruise!

Heather

I'm going on Danube River cruise in June on Emerald in one of their solo cabins - so no single supplement. That was very appealing to me. Emerald has two solo cabins per boat. Also liked that Emerald caters to a younger crowd (40 & 50s) as I'm in that range. I can't wait!! I've done several ocean cruises as a solo and have always met wonderful people but hate the single supplement fee!!

I am doing the Tulips of Northern Holland on Avalon Luminary beginning April 2, as a Solo. Anyone else doing that one? In order to have the single supplement waived, I had to take a cabin on E deck; but found out previously that I spent little time in my cabin except to sleep. Have always wanted to see the tulips in bloom and I also have ancestors from the Holland area. Thus the trip is not only the scenery, but to maybe do a little genealogy research the week following the cruise. Will be based in Amsterdam then. Have previously done the Christmas Markets cruise on the Danube with AMA and absolutely loved it. I am an active senior female and looking forward to meeting lots of new people.

So I was trying to book a cruise for my family of 5 (odd number) on AMA and even though this cruise is offering discounts, I was told the single supplement is only off the brochure price regardless of any discounts being offered! Can anyone confirm that singles get the single supplement only off the brochure price?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So I was trying to book a cruise for my family of 5 (odd number) on AMA and even though this cruise is offering discounts, I was told the single supplement is only off the brochure price regardless of any discounts being offered! Can anyone confirm that singles get the single supplement only off the brochure price?

That is also wha I was told.

Yes, same here but still a huge savings.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 months later...
Thanks so much for more insight.......

I believe AMA does waive the single supplement on all cruises for the lower D & E categories....but does it also happen for higher level cabins? The "window" part doesn't bother me, just more concerned about engine noise on lower levels since I'm such a light sleeper.

This might sound crazy, but can anyone shed some light on the comfort of the beds on AMA, Avalon, Uniworld or Tauck? I'm dealing with a lower back issue so bed comfort could literally make or break vacation for me.

I got a cabin with a french balcony (cb) with reduced/waived supplement. I wouldn't go if I couldn't open the window

I am taking my first river cruise in May 2018. It is Avalon's The Legendary Danube cruise. I am doing it solo and taking advantage of Avalon waiving single supplements for 2018 travelers. I have booked a B room, one of the panoramic rooms with 11 feet of window that opens. I am so excited!! I have never been to Europe and can't wait to see the beautiful countries and learn about them.

My problem right now is figuring out just how to make my flight dollars go farther. I am looking at flying in to one place and visit a few days and then fly a Local airline to Prague... And then do the same out of Budapest. Maybe take a train from Budapest?

So, if anyone out there is planning on doing the May 22-June 1 cruise, please let me know!

I am taking my first river cruise in May 2018. It is Avalon's The Legendary Danube cruise. I am doing it solo and taking advantage of Avalon waiving single supplements for 2018 travelers. I have booked a B room, one of the panoramic rooms with 11 feet of window that opens. I am so excited!! I have never been to Europe and can't wait to see the beautiful countries and learn about them.

My problem right now is figuring out just how to make my flight dollars go farther. I am looking at flying in to one place and visit a few days and then fly a Local airline to Prague... And then do the same out of Budapest. Maybe take a train from Budapest?

So, if anyone out there is planning on doing the May 22-June 1 cruise, please let me know!

Those panorama cabins are spectacular. Enjoy

JC