LIVE!!! The Reflection Transatlantic - Oct 21st - 2016! Are we the YOUNGEST again?!

chicagopaul

Loving your updates! We are on the Reflection at the end of November and can't wait!

Can you answer one question for me please. How are the internet speeds on the internet package... Are you able to watch video or just do facebook/internet/messaging type functions?

Thanx!!!!

Thanks for continuing to get me more and more excited for our Transatlantic that leaves Rome a week from tomorrow!:D

Just wanted to wish you a wonderful time with great weather. We have to wait until next April for our Reflection TA...Enjoy!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Paul.

Really loving your posts. We are based in UK and were on reflection in August. First time with celebrity for us as we are new ish to cruising. We absolutely loved it.

We have only cruised Europe but want to try the Caribbean next.

Do you have any advice re what ship /company would be good as we will probably be travelling with sons aged 19 and 21? Unfortunately we have to travel in August due to my job but will do a TA as soon as I retire. Enjoy your vacation.

Tracy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cheers Everyone! Hope you're all having a great Sunday! A full update to your questions will come by tomorrow afternoon!

Things are going well. We're expecting some swells tonight but nothing this ship cannot handle with grace.

e1aeb11d4c974568caa8bf9d5221646b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy Halloween Everyone! So we've finally been able to feel the sea! We've had some minor swells and a little wind but nothing that is a problem. Today is Halloween and no, we did not bring any costumes. Maybe we should have as it seems like some passengers have and were already dressed up early this morning. The ship is decorated in a few different areas. Guest Relations has spiderwebs and they have a beautiful set up along the staircase in the grand foyer (see photos to be posted below).

Last night the show was called Broadway at Sea. The show featured all the celebrity vocalists on stage singing different classic broadway songs. The one nice thing about this is it seemed like each vocalist was able to pick what they wanted to sing and therefore the songs played to their strengths.

If you've been following my Instagram you probably saw some photos and video from last night's Liquid party. Liquid is held in the Solarium and is part of Celebrity's traveling "Night Club" series. They had some performers in the pool and the DJ set up in front of the pool. The music was pretty good and the lighting was very nice. The water in the pool was moving around quite a bit but the performers didn't seem to mind. We showed up at 10pm, which is when it started and stayed until about 10:45pm. Edward was tired so he went to bed and I went to Michael's Club until around 12:30...there were only a couple of us in there. Martini Bar seemed to close early last night...it wasn't too busy at all more than likely because of the Liquid Party.

Let me see...what else did we have...Two days ago we had officers verse guest volleyball. This is on every ship of course, but I found this one to be quite entertaining. The weather for it was PERFECT and there were multiple games of guests playing against guests, crew against crew and then the ever anticipated crew against guests. The guests won of course :) The activities manager seemed to do a pretty good job of getting the crowd excited as did the DJ. Everyone who was out at the pool looked to be enjoying themselves. It was a nice hour and a half break from just sitting, reading and drinking by the pool.

Food continues to be good, we cannot complain. Our best meal yet was on chic night two evenings ago. In Luminae we had chateaubriand and lobster. The lobster was perfectly cooked and came with a wonderful champagne sauce and the steak was very tender. Service continues to be very good in Luminae. At times the kitchen can be a little slow, but we've never wanted for anything and we've never had a problem getting our wine glass refilled.

Tonight!

So what we are doing tonight? Well, right now is about 3:40. We've finished our afternoon nap. We didn't gain an hour last night and last night we had some bizarre vibrations under our cabin so we didn't sleep too well. We were still up doing our usual routine this morning. We went to the slot pull at 11am for cruise critic (everyone made their money back plus $2) and then a wonderful lunch at Luminae comprised of Mozzarella salad and a cob salad with filet mignon. After that big lunch and given the lack of sleep we needed a nap.

We will likely start our night off with a drink in Michael's and then we may look at the photos taken on the ship. There have been a few we've really liked so we plan to buy several this trip. We will then hit our usual Martini bar followed by the show at 7pm (it is a magician tonight). Then off to dinner at 8pm. I think we may try Tuscan tonight. We have yet to go there after their menu revamp and we're excited to check out the changes.

Halloween Party is tonight in Sky Lounge at 10:15pm. The dancers and singers will be putting on a show and it seems like everyone we've talked to is looking forward to checking it out. After that we will likely end our night in Martini Bar or Michael's Club and wake up and do it all over again.

Follow up on questions:

Moscow mule - Yes you can get them at most bars. I've yet to try one but I will. I think I will ask for one in Passport bar tonight if we make it down there. If not, I'll try one during the day tomorrow.

2018 Transatlantics. I don't have specific information yet, at least not according to the person I asked. However, I will ask someone else. What they did give out is a reservation form so you can get the benefits of booking on board even though the 2018 TA sailings won't be released until November 29th.

Internet: The internet has not been bad. It hasn't been great, but in the past days it's been running pretty well. At first there was some glitch in the system which gave free internet to a lot of people on the ship. During this time the internet was running slower. Right now, it is pretty quick and watching short videos on Facebook and uploading pictures, etc. hasn't been a problem for me. I've been running "Speed Tests" and taking screen captures of the results. During my final comprehensive review I will post all of them for you to see. If you're looking to stream live content, it won't be good. If you're looking to stream a video and have some time for the video to load, then you should be OK.

Jarvijt You asked which ship might be best for August traveling with your sons 19 and 21. As you may know Celebrity isn't your typical cruise line like Royal, NCL, etc. There is not a whole lot going on by the pool, etc. However, with that being said I started cruising Celebrity when I was 23 and I loved it. Here are my quick thoughts.

I think any ship would be fine but focus on itinerary and on the newer Solstice class ships if you're looking for it to be a younger crowd for your sons. I say focus on Solstice class ships because they're larger with more pax so there are greater chances of them meeting people they'd like to hang around with. August is probably a great time since there will be more young people on board (whether they're off of college, or because it is cheaper to fly in August to some destinations, etc.). We've had several friends cruising in the med this past summer and they were surprised by how young many of the passengers were in comparison to other Celebrity cruises.

The Equinox is in the caribbean all summer long now so that could be an option. However, keep in mind if you're traveling out of the US then your 19yo son would have issues visiting the bars.

Hi Paul, thanks for the running review and photos, can't wait to hit the Martini Bar and Michaels Club in December.

In your last post you mentioned that the 2018 TA's would not be released until November 29. Did you happen to hear when the 2018 Caribbean sailings would be released? I'm hoping to book on board in December for my birthday that year.

However, keep in mind if you're traveling out of the US then your 19yo son would have issues visiting the bars.

I thought the ships were the issue as drinking in Europe is OK at 18, when they are classed as adults.

I have read that it's OK on the ship (US law) 18-21, provide the parent gives permission.

I thought the ships were the issue as drinking in Europe is OK at 18, when they are classed as adults.

I have read that it's OK on the ship (US law) 18-21, provide the parent gives permission.

The drinking age is dependent on the country you sail out of so sailing out of Europe it is 18 - as it is in Europe, but sailing out of the US it is 21, the same age as the US. There are no exceptions

Paul

Great updates. Overall how would you say the weather has been for you and is the sea still calm?

Cheers

The weather has been pretty good. A couple days ago we had some minor swells that had the ship rolling a bit side to side but it was very minor. I actually liked it, it reminded me we were on a ship. Our ports of call were nice weather but Barcelona had some rain as did Marseille. Yesterday was picture perfect. Roughly 82 degrees, nothing but sun (after a brief shower at 9:30) and very calm seas.

Today we have a cloudy skies and some on and off rain but the seas are calm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

started off good but fizzled out in the end......look forward to any trip reports.

That is really not nice. He is updating when he has free time, and I for one hope he doesn't have any free time. The point of a cruise is to relax and enjoy your vacation. If he doesn't feel up to updating the review then that should be fine. He isn't required to do anything. Which is really the point of a vacation. :-)

Paul, we will be on Reflection soon, and I've loved reading your live postings. I more look forward to the final review. Especially that lawn club menu for lunch.

Finally, Go Cubs! :-)