Which Ships are Pushing the Once a Day Room Servicing?

MCFTJCH2V

Remember the days when you had to beet servers of with a stick on the pool deck (especially on departures day)?

Under those circumstances I was happy to order a drink to stop the barrage and never considered adding an extra tip. Now, servers are so scarce, a generous extra tip (or better yet cash) is more or less mandatory on the pool deck if you expect to see the server a second time (btw it is far worse on RCCL these days).

I'm not calling it a conspiracy theory, but you would have to have your head in the sand not to see the conscious effort to lower customer expectations on all of the mainstream lines and the one day service thing is one of the more blatant examples.

If it resulted in lower fares , I might be more willing to accept a more streamlined product. But cruise fare increases, drinks and other extras alonf with service service charges (tips) are exceeding the inflation rate despite the fact that the cruise lines primary costs: fuel, labor, and interest on capital have been flat or stagnant.

Fares are going up, product quality is decreasing in part because experience cruisers accept it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LOL, I do remember when there was way to many bar staff asking every 2 minutes whether you wanted a drink (or a bucket....save $2). I can't disagree they are all changing and like most businesses today it is the bottom line and what you deliver to your shareholders. I just saw they renewed the contract of the corporate CEO at a cool 9.3 million, not a bad deal..... It is what it is. Cruising is evolving, it is the only way to pay for the behemoths that cost over a billion each (I think there are 40+ ships on order now for all lines.... You have to pay for them somehow.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by jimbo5544

LOL, I do remember when there was way to many bar staff asking every 2 minutes whether you wanted a drink (or a bucket....save $2). I can't disagree they are all changing and like most businesses today it is the bottom line and what you deliver to your shareholders. I just saw they renewed the contract of the corporate CEO at a cool 9.3 million, not a bad deal..... It is what it is. Cruising is evolving, it is the only way to pay for the behemoths that cost over a billion each (I think there are 40+ ships on order now for all lines.... You have to pay for them somehow.

Actually 83 new ships if you count all the obscure little boutique and expeditionary lines. MSC leads the pack with 11 ships on order, and RCI comes in second with 6. Interesting that RCI has a new class positioned between Oasis and Quantum classes at 200,000 tons.

And this is why Carnival and RCI can't even give away their old ships. No one wants them. They'll end up going from ♪♪♫ a three hour tour, a three hour tour ♫♫♪ straight to the breakers.

Edited by Thorncroft

Remember the days when you had to beet servers of with a stick on the pool deck (especially on departures day)?

Under those circumstances I was happy to order a drink to stop the barrage and never considered adding an extra tip. Now, servers are so scarce, a generous extra tip (or better yet cash) is more or less mandatory on the pool deck if you expect to see the server a second time (btw it is far worse on RCCL these days).

I'm not calling it a conspiracy theory, but you would have to have your head in the sand not to see the conscious effort to lower customer expectations on all of the mainstream lines and the one day service thing is one of the more blatant examples.

If it resulted in lower fares , I might be more willing to accept a more streamlined product. But cruise fare increases, drinks and other extras alonf with service service charges (tips) are exceeding the inflation rate despite the fact that the cruise lines primary costs: fuel, labor, and interest on capital have been flat or stagnant.

Fares are going up, product quality is decreasing in part because experience cruisers accept it.

This probably depends upon which ship you are on. We just came off Fascination and bar servers were out in force in practically every venue. As for labor cost the positions being discussed are compensated mostly through gratuities so those costs are negligible. I believe the limited hiring pool is impacting this issue far more than what most people realize.

Actually 83 new ships if you count all the obscure little boutique and expeditionary lines. MSC leads the pack with 11 ships on order, and RCI comes in second with 6. Interesting that RCI has a new class positioned between Oasis and Quantum classes at 200,000 tons.

And this is why Carnival and RCI can't even give away their old ships. No one wants them. They'll end up going from ♪♪♫ a three hour tour, a three hour tour ♫♫♪ straight to the breakers.

And these ships also need to be staffed from the limited staffing pool that is available today.

The numbers and costs are truly amazing. While we can understand why an older ship cannot hold the allure (pun intended) of newer ships, to be honest, I am surprised there is not either a an existing or new entity that can't acquire one of more of these and make them into a viable cruising entity.

The numbers and costs are truly amazing. While we can understand why an older ship cannot hold the allure (pun intended) of newer ships, to be honest, I am surprised there is not either a an existing or new entity that can't acquire one of more of these and make them into a viable cruising entity.

People want newer ships with more bells and whistles than older ones.

If older ships were viable somebody would have purchased them for a song and refurbished them.

If older ships were viable somebody would have purchased them for a song and refurbished them.

Yes, I get it. However, I look at what they did in refurbish the Holiday and Celebration and think a new start up could make some hay. Easier said than done tho......

Sent from my iPhone

I still feel like there are different niche markets with the right advertising. The newer ships with bells and whistles are great for families, people who get bored easily, people who want lots of food options. But there are two other cruiser subsets that I can see: (1) People who want short, cheap party cruises with alcohol, loud music, and pretty basic pool games and parties. (2) People who want a smaller and quieter ship with loungers for reading, brunch in the MDR, a good spa, decent singers for entertainment, dressing for dinner, and good service, with a low base price (but will spend $$ onboard for the spa, wine, art, etc.).

I still feel like there are different niche markets with the right advertising. The newer ships with bells and whistles are great for families, people who get bored easily, people who want lots of food options. But there are two other cruiser subsets that I can see: (1) People who want short, cheap party cruises with alcohol, loud music, and pretty basic pool games and parties. (2) People who want a smaller and quieter ship with loungers for reading, brunch in the MDR, a good spa, decent singers for entertainment, dressing for dinner, and good service, with a low base price (but will spend $$ onboard for the spa, wine, art, etc.).

I think I'm part of that second crowd. We cruise more for the ports and the joy of being at sea rather than the 'skyrider'. It's why I have zero interest tn RCCL. Unfortunately it seems to get the ports these days one has to move up in class significantly. We also enjoy that and expect to do more of that but it would reduce the frequency of our trips.

I think I'm part of that second crowd. We cruise more for the ports and the joy of being at sea rather than the 'skyrider'. It's why I have zero interest tn RCCL. Unfortunately it seems to get the ports these days one has to move up in class significantly. We also enjoy that and expect to do more of that but it would reduce the frequency of our trips.

The reason older ships are doomed, especially the fantasy class, can be summed up in one word: Balconies.

I would also be in group 2, as I could do without every single change made by the mainstream lines in the past 20 years, except for one: Balconies.

I much prefer RCCL to Carnival, but during the times when Galveston had the Conquest and RCCL had the Rap, we sailed Carnival, why? BALCONIES.

Throw in EPA and other regs that are not older ship friendly, and ships that don't have 50% B A L C O N IES are toast with a capital T.

Edited by nealstuber

The reason older ships are doomed, especially the fantasy class, can be summed up in one word: Balconies.

I would also be in group 2, as I could do without every single change made by the mainstream lines in the past 20 years, except for one: Balconies.

I much prefer RCCL to Carnival, but during the times when Galveston had the Conquest and RCCL had the Rap, we sailed Carnival, why? BALCONIES.

Throw in EPA and other regs that are not older ship friendly, and ships that don't have 50% B A L C O N IES are toast with a capital T.

That is a good point. My friends and I were content with an inside cabin on a small ship because we wanted to save money, but my parents say they won't sail without a balcony.

• 3 weeks later...
Just got off the Valor, and our Stateroom attendant, who has been working for Carnival for 31 years (!!!!!) was sad about the upcoming changes that Carnival has been implementing. To be fair--he wasn't outwardly complaining--it just came up when I expressed KUDOS/amazement that he had been doing his job for such a long time, and asked if he was going to retire soon to spend time with his family.

The changes were the reason that he truly was thinking about retiring. He said that he feels like he isn't able to provide "great" service anymore, because of the increased # of rooms he is responsible for. When he started (Mardi Gras) he had 15 staterooms. It then progressed to 20, and now he's got 25. He said the next change, coming soon, will give him 37 staterooms, which is far too much for him to do, EVEN WITH the directive that they will only be servicing the cabins once per day.

So....there's that.

CeleBrat

Doesn't he make more money with more rooms? He is getting auto tips on 37 rooms each cruise.

I like (and prefer) the twice a day service. However, to be honest, where else can you go and get twice daily service. Any hotel you stay in will make up your bed (s) in the am and won't be back until the next am. I don't have a problem with no bed turn down. I can turn down my own bed. Not a deal breaker. As for the towel animal, if that is what you like, they can do it when they make up the bed in the am. I see no eal advantage to the bed being turned down. I would much rather they make it up in the am. Just my thought.

While it is true that the majority to hotels only do once/day service, and in many cases, will not clean the room until late afternoon, the fine hotels that provide themselves with above average service do the rooms with a bed turn-down twice/day.

We can make excuses, and even say it doesn't matter, but taking into account the decrease in quality in their shows, removal of table clothes from the MDR, increase in number of passengers/ship, it is all part of Carnival's "Race to the Bottom", Carnival wants to provide the cheapest cruise with limited service. Price is paramount before quality.

Just off the Splendor. When asked I replied...'Both" and the steward balked. We got clean towels and ice in the evening but the beds weren't touched. I let them know in my survey that I was not happy!

Why did you wait until the survey to complain if you weren't happy with the service? Why not let them know when they still had a chance to make things right for you?

While it is true that the majority to hotels only do once/day service, and in many cases, will not clean the room until late afternoon, the fine hotels that provide themselves with above average service do the rooms with a bed turn-down twice/day.

We can make excuses, and even say it doesn't matter, but taking into account the decrease in quality in their shows, removal of table clothes from the MDR, increase in number of passengers/ship, it is all part of Carnival's "Race to the Bottom", Carnival wants to provide the cheapest cruise with limited service. Price is paramount before quality.

And for what I pay for on CCL versus what the other lines want, I'm good with that.

We were just off the Triumph. Our cabin steward Leo asked us if we wanted traditional service and we said yes. We asked for one robe and ice and received both. We had a soft cooler and he filled it twice a day along with the ice bucket. (He was filling out the card as we talked. I didn't notice if "both" was on it or not.)

Can't compare fine hotels with Carnival. How many Carnival cruisers would pay $400 or more per night for a hotel room. "Price is paramount before quality" to carnival cruisers, therefore, that is where Carnival is being driven.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for.

Just off the Breeze on Sunday. I didn't see any "card" to check, but when we saw our room steward, I just simply initiated that once a day service was fine, at her convenience. She told us she would be in daily @1. This worked great for us. I only did this because of things I had read on Cruise Critics. Otherwise, I'm not sure how or what we would be asked to respond. We were very pleased with fresh ice, clean towels, etc. We also left an extra tip.

Can't compare fine hotels with Carnival. How many Carnival cruisers would pay $400 or more per night for a hotel room. "Price is paramount before quality" to carnival cruisers, therefore, that is where Carnival is being driven.

That is only partly true. If cost was everything, I wouldn't go on a cruise at all. There are cheaper vacation options, especially for a family who can't cruise during the cheap seasons. As a Carnival cruiser, I am someone who likes to have an enjoyable vacation experience that doesn't break the budget and gets the most for my vacation dollar. There is a minimum quality level that I absolutely expect, or I won't choose to spend my vacation on a Carnival cruise. When comparing a cruise to a hotel, I expect to have a much smaller bedroom and bathroom than I would get at Days Inn, but with a level of service available in a high end hotel.

Service is paid for separately in the tips. ;)