Birthday "gifts" from Carnival

LMaxwell

The program is only on certain ships. The items are placed and noted as if given by your stateroom steward so it is my hope,they have some leeway on who they gift.

My understanding it is everyone on the pilot ships, not random, hence my question.

Sent from my iPhone

whereas i agree with you that it certainly should not be counted on, they are indeed doing it... i agree and offered a preface ymmv i doubt everyone will get the same thing per se - and so far as we know they could stop doing it tomorrow.

and as nice as it may be for anybody celebrating an 'anything' as it seems, i don't understand the business practice.

anybody can walk on, with say the lowest cat room, spend nothing, (this is a hypothetical) say they're celebrating something, and get a for instance $50 spa + $25 wine + $20 photo = 95 benefit...

but if i book a balcony, pay double for single, and then spend $500 onboard.

maybe they should start sending gifts to people who book higher category rooms, buy cheers, buy stuff at the shops, play bingo, etc. basically, the passengers that spend money onboard, which is what makes their profit margin.

fwiw, i think it's a nice gesture, but at the same point one that doesn't make business sense - to give free stuff for the sense of giving it, although it will grant goodwill. however, this is at a point when they are forcing 'once a day room service', 'ask for robes', 'pay to not wait (fttf), etc. t just doesn't make much sense. congratulations to everybody that has been celebrating something and i'm glad you enjoyed it!

ccl ust needs to get their game in line.

Wow ... first world problem. It's hard to believe that anyone would complain because someone having a birthday or anniversary is recognized on board the ship. It appears to be an equal opportunity program regardless of what folks can afford to pay for their cabin.

Also ... if you look at the type of things gifted you'd see they DO fit in with a healthy business sense. They are all set up to increase/induce cruisers to spend more $$ in those area - a bottle of wine (encouraging folks to buy others on the trip), the photo (hard to decide which one to pick so they buy others) the upsell dinner (to show folks how nice those "extra $$ resturants" are so they'll book more) and the spa (where most services cost extra $$ so you spend your own $$ for the balance of a treatment you wouldn't have booked otherwise)

Edited by summersigh

Was on the Inspiration in mid-September during my actual birthday, which is something we have to provide to them anyway, I think. I received something towards the art sale (like extra raffles, not $ of painting) and $25 towards a bottle of something to be ordered at MDR. I tossed the first one but bought a bottle of moscato for maybe $33 and redeemed it. It became a present for our neighbor... but the amazon price for it was maybe $13.

My daughter's friend was on an earlier journey (same ship) and got the photo and spa coupon. I asked whether I could change since I don't drink, but they said no.

We just came back from celebrating our Anniversary on the Sunshine. On the first night in the MDR they surprised us with a small cake which looked like the Love Boat Dream (Princess thing), and sang to us. We had YTD so I am sure it came up with they started using the computer. We hadn't requested anything.

We also received a card for a complimentary meal for two at Cucina or Jijis on the 2nd day. The third day we had the $50 spa coupon and free photo (a $12 value which they will apply to any photo).

All quite unexpected and a reason we love Carnival.

Also ... if you look at the type of things gifted you'd see they DO fit in with a healthy business sense. They are all set up to increase/induce cruisers to spend more $$ in those area - a bottle of wine (encouraging folks to buy others on the trip), the photo (hard to decide which one to pick so they buy others) the upsell dinner (to show folks how nice those "extra $$ resturants" are so they'll book more) and the spa (where most services cost extra $$ so you spend your own $$ for the balance of a treatment you wouldn't have booked otherwise)

Agree with this. If I were so lucky to get one of those coupons, it might entice me to look at or consider something I had not done before. I have been on several cruises and never bought a bottle of wine. I have bought a few glasses though. However, if Carnival were to give me a coupon for a bottle of wine, I would be looking at that menu. Now, assuming its for a certain value - like $25, some might just find a $25 wine and leave it at that, but I am picky about my wine, so I would probably buy a slightly better wine and pay the difference. Had I not got the coupon, I would not have even considered it.

Likewise, I have never been to the spa. If I had a certificate, I might check it out. And if I had a $50 gift card but found a $100 service, I would probably do it. But without the certificate, I never even walk in the door.

Give me a free steakhouse or other special dining meal and I will go. And probably have a couple of drinks or even buy a bottle of wine, considering I am saving the money on dinner.

I know not everyone is like me and some will take their free thing and not upsell, but plenty will. I think that is what they are counting on.

Hopefully, I will get something if I sail on my birthday/anniversary month (May)- are you listening Carnival. lol

Edited by cruzinlisa

We sailed in June and my husbands birthday was the Friday before. On day 3 he got two gift cards, one for the spa and one for a free bottle of wine. He took advantage of a manicure and just paid the fee dollars extra and we paid about 5.00 more for the wine that they kept at dinner. Neither gift directly benefitted him but we all appreciated the gesture. If we didn't use it, we would have given it to someone else to enjoy. He never gets pampered so that was fun and I am the wine drinker so I was happy for a free bottle that they kept for us and brought out at dinner. It's the thought that counts and I know they are up selling and have no problem with that, it's a business after all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've seen some posts about "birthday" gifts from carnival like free photos, spa time, etc...

Is this a package you purchase at a discount, or is it triggered by noting a birthday on your reservation / DOB for the guest? We were switch from a Halloween cruise to one during my wife's birthday so was just wondering if I need to find this under the gift catalog or is it automated?

IMG_0214.jpg.b3db98c68dee6bcfe204e7f83c362a56.jpg

On the Splendor last month on my birthday my room steward left me a $50.00 off Spa card and Photo card for a free 5x7. In the MDR they gave me a small personal Happy Birthday cake. I was solo on this cruise so this was a pleasant surprise. :D

With 3000 guests they'd be giving away the farm in "free" stuff.

Here's my question; who pays for the gifts Carnival gets?

My DS turned 22 on May 13 this year. We sailed on the Dream on May 15. He received a $50 Spa Credit and a free 6x9 photo. DH also received a free 6x9 photo "Just Because". Cards left in our rooms by our room steward. DH and my 28th anniversary was last week while we were on the Sunshine. We received a free 5x7 photo and a complimentary dinner at either Ji Ji's or La Cucina for our anniversary. We chose La Cucina. Again the cards were left in our room by our room steward. I imagine the payment for this comes from the guest relations fund.

pay very, very close attention to the "expiration date."

We were sadly disappointed that by the time we looked at the goodies we were left, there was no way to use the one that would have been enjoyed.

Ok, I will bite, what was the expiration date?

Sent from my iPhone

Originally Posted by Out of Iowa viewpost.gif

pay very, very close attention to the "expiration date."

We were sadly disappointed that by the time we looked at the goodies we were left, there was no way to use the one that would have been enjoyed.

Ok, I will bite, what was the expiration date?

In my case the Spa card was good 2 days after my birthday while the Photo card was good until the end of the cruise. Didn't understand that but that is what it was.

Platinum with Carnival.

Cruises during birthday months, noted.

One during 40th anniversary. noted.

Never received anything for any occasion.

Not something I would look forward to.

A Carnival representative once called me in my cabin and wished me happy birthday, which I thought was pretty special, but I agree with Bookbug53 that I've never received a gift from Carnival on any of my special occasions in 30+ cruises.

This is a really cool program! We're going to be sailing during our anniversary (Thursday on a Sat-Sat cruise). If we actually were to get one of these, would it be on our actual anniversary date, or just sometime that week? I love wine, and the spa, and getting pictures of us together that aren't selfies [emoji16][emoji991]

You can get all these things from the FunShops.

This year I got a red rose and card from Guest Services, but I think it was because they assisted me in a sea burial of my mother's ashes on my birthday. In the steakhouse that night I got a birthday tart and a glass of champagne, and they sang the song to me :) The day after my birthday I got a gift card for a free photo (they've had the date wrong two years in a row).

This was on the Miracle, which doesn't have the Cloud 9 Spa.

Edited by LibratPDX

A Carnival representative once called me in my cabin and wished me happy birthday, which I thought was pretty special, but I agree with Bookbug53 that I've never received a gift from Carnival on any of my special occasions in 30+ cruises.

It is a new trial program, so I doubt they go retro.....although I would love to go retro on a few events myself....

We didn't flag our cruise with a special event (at least I don't recall doing that) and DW's birthday was a couple of weeks before our cruise. She received a card from our steward with a $50 gift card for the spa. It was a nice gesture but since it could only be used for specific spa services, the least expensive of which was $129, it went unused.

In my case the Spa card was good 2 days after my birthday while the Photo card was good until the end of the cruise. Didn't understand that but that is what it was.

Yup. The spa card we got on Day 3 was only good for 2 days, both of which were port days so it didn't get used. The wine card we got was good for the rest of the cruise. I suspect the spa card is intentionally dated that way to minimize usage while still generating goodwill for giving it out.

Yup. The spa card we got on Day 3 was only good for 2 days, both of which were port days so it didn't get used. The wine card we got was good for the rest of the cruise. I suspect the spa card is intentionally dated that way to minimize usage while still generating goodwill for giving it out.

You think it should not have an expiration date?

OK, so here is my question.

There are 8 of us going, and most of them have never cruised before.

Two of the anniversaries and my birthday are in February. We were planning on celebrating our events in the "usual" way, in the MDR.

So are you saying, since these events happen in February (we are cruising in March), we probably won't received any card, etc., for a discount on anything, even if I mention it under our bookings?

OK, so here is my question.

There are 8 of us going, and most of them have never cruised before.

Two of the anniversaries and my birthday are in February. We were planning on celebrating our events in the "usual" way, in the MDR.

So are you saying, since these events happen in February (we are cruising in March), we probably won't received any card, etc., for a discount on anything, even if I mention it under our bookings?

Not sure who you are asking and I don't know the answer but my guess is yes, you will not receive a card as it not the date of the event. You certainly can do something working with the eh maitre'd to make note of these events.