Boring dress code question

ConnCruise

Would that Nordstrom version be considered 'nice jeans' in the context of the discussions on this board? :confused:

For the price and label, one would only hope so. Actually saw a version of these "nice jeans" one evening at the venerable, Michelin rated 12 Apostles restaurant in Verona Italy. My heart broke. I felt very, very old and out of touch that evening.

So now I'm going to have to leave the price tags on my jeans? It's embarrassing enough when I accidentally leave the size tag on . . . you're killing me here !!!

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

We have passed on formal nights for a long time. We don't go to the MDR but we certainly don't sit in our stateroom all evening. Many more cruisers just like us. Had enough of this prior to retirement.

Good cruise lines make room for both.....they understand the reality of the marketplace.

HAL does not use the term, as far as I can see, "nice jeans". That's the folks on here that use it. HAL uses "distressed jeans" are not permitted in fine dining restaurants. See post #47. I wonder why so many think HAL's, or any cruise line's, rules don't apply to them. We found the same negative arguments about dress codes in all inclusive resorts. If you don't like them find a resort or a cruise line that fits with your comfort level. At the resort we went to many times I had to wear long pants even for the evening buffet restaurant. All the waiters were dressed in tuxedos, the least I could do is wear long pants. No big deal, if I wanted to change to shorts after dinner I did.

So now I'm going to have to leave the price tags on my jeans?

Maybe.. otherwise they may not qualify as 'nice jeans'.:rolleyes:

It's already been determined here that the $19.99 pair of Wranglers I got on sale at Costco would not be considered 'nice jeans', and therefore would not be suitable for wear in the MDR, even on 'smart casual' nights. :(

HAL does not use the term, as far as I can see, "nice jeans". That's the folks on here that use it. HAL uses "distressed jeans" are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.

Still would like to know what 'nice jeans' are, even from the folks that use the term here.:confused: And for that matter, what does HAL mean by 'distressed jeans'; does that mean jeans that have a psychological disorder?:o

Some, me included, don't mind standing out. It's better than being uncomfortable.

COPIED DIRECTLY FROM THE HAL WEBSITE:

Jeans in Gala night are clearly address.

Q: Did HAL change their dress code?

A: Yes, some refinements were made to improve consistency and the policy now reads:

Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants.

Q: Why the change from “Formal” To “Gala” night?

A: To many, the “Formal” term was misleading as it implies a specific type of dress (black tie or tuxedo) that has never been a requirement. “Gala” still implies festive or dressy without misleading guests to bring attire the majority of guests don’t wear.

Q: What about ladies’ gala attire?

A: Dressy attire is appropriate. Dresses, skirts, and slacks are all acceptable.

Q: Are a jacket and tie required for men?

A: Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Gala Nights, though it is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change.

Q: Are jeans allowed?

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Gala Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

Q: Can I wear shorts in the main dining room?

A: Not at dinner. The dining room is considered a fine dining restaurant and shorts are not permitted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nice clothing should make you feel good, not uncomfortable. If they don't, perhaps you should check the fit.

It's been a long time since I felt that I had to wear "nice clothes" to feel good.

Clothes I feel comfortable in make me feel good.

It has nothing to do with "fit".

I just do not like to wear "nice clothes", ie, tuxedos, suits, sports jackets, ties, dress shirts, etc,.

Nor, do I think I have to dress in a certain way to fit in. I really don't care whether someone else thinks about how I dress.

Funny ...... some of us feel uncomfortable bucking social norms and polite guidelines. Go figure. Guess it is the way I was raised.

That's fine, then dress to fit in if that is what makes you feel comfortable.

I feel uncomfortable wearing "nice clothes".

Freedom is donating all your "nice clothes" to Goodwill.

Edited by RocketMan275

That's fine, then dress to fit in if that is what makes you feel comfortable.

I feel uncomfortable wearing "nice clothes".

Freedom is donating all your "nice clothes" to Goodwill.

How about just following the Dress Code as shown in post #62. If that is Not something you are comfortable with then you have possibly picked the wrong cruiseline.

How about just following the Dress Code as shown in post #62. If that is Not something you are comfortable with then you have possibly picked the wrong cruiseline.

I have made it very clear in the past that I will follow the dress code.

Adherence to the code is not the same thing as approval of the code.

It's been a long time since I felt that I had to wear "nice clothes" to feel good.

I just do not like to wear "nice clothes", ie, tuxedos, suits, sports jackets, ties, dress shirts, etc,.

Nor, do I think I have to dress in a certain way to fit in. I really don't care whether someone else thinks about how I dress.

If you don't care, why are you so defensive about it. "Me thinks thou protests

to much ! " A Speedo worn to MDR is really comfortable !

I have made it very clear in the past that I will follow the dress code.

Adherence to the code is not the same thing as approval of the code.

Perhaps you would be happier if you did not patronize a cruise line whose policies fail to gain your "approval". After all, a number of your fellow passengers will have chosen that line because they actually prefer those policies. All cruise lines do not have to be the same - and differences between them is what gives people choice.

How do you feel about wearing bathing suits in the pool? Is that dressing to meet other people's guidelines-expectations-rules or dressing to meet your own.

What about wearing a bathrobe and pajamas to the late shows or early Lido buffet line? Do you decide, does "convention" decide, or do you think the ship suggested guidelines have a role to play.

Nice clothing should make you feel good, not uncomfortable. If they don't, perhaps you should check the fit.

If you don't care, why are you so defensive about it. "Me thinks thou protests

to much ! " A Speedo worn to MDR is really comfortable !

My comments were a response to the claim that I would be comfortable in "nice clothes" if properly fitted. I don't like "nice clothes", ie, tuxedos, suites, blazers, dress slacks, dress shirts, ties, etc,. If I don't like something, it is uncomfortable regardless of how it fits.

BTW, I don't own a speedo. Do you have a brand you recommend?

How do you feel about wearing bathing suits in the pool? Is that dressing to meet other people's guidelines-expectations-rules or dressing to meet your own.

What about wearing a bathrobe and pajamas to the late shows or early Lido buffet line? Do you decide, does "convention" decide, or do you think the ship suggested guidelines have a role to play.

Perhaps you would be happier if you did not patronize a cruise line whose policies fail to gain your "approval". After all, a number of your fellow passengers will have chosen that line because they actually prefer those policies. All cruise lines do not have to be the same - and differences between them is what gives people choice.

Perhaps you would be happier if you worried less about what other wear.

Perhaps you would be happier if you worried less about what other wear.

Curious how some people arrive at such definite decisions about various dress guidelines. Cherry pick some and discard others. It was an open topic. A process question.

I secretly love reading dress code discussions!

I chuckle since I paid about $75 for it, certainly much less than any sport coat or suit.

In addition, a Speedo is really only appropriate on hot younger men, or chubby older Greeks.