On the Dream Now. Sort of a sad thing.

MMastell

If you really are concerned for your room steward , then don't leave your room in a total mess. That way they won't have to spend so much time cleaning it up. Walking by some rooms when the door is open and they look like a frat party was in it .

I've seen cabins like those, too. I sure couldn't leave my cabin like that. It looked something like my kids' when they were teenagers. Disaster. We have everything picked up off the floors when we leave, except for the towels in the bathrooms, we would like those replaced.

Hires them? I would think Carnival would have to do the hiring. They would have to have interviews, background checks, etc.

What they mean is they are paying employees that are already on the ship to help them out. People that want to pickup extra money. I use to do the same thing as a waitress. If someone wanted to pick up some extra cash and had some time on their hands I would share my tips and have them bus my tables for me or run drinks or something. Room stewards are really not that different than waitresses/waiters. They get a low base wage and then work for tips, the more cabins/tables they serve the better their wages are. You want to make your job easier you slide a little cash to someone wanting some extra money and have them help you out.

Edited by poobears

My last cruise was 9/10/16-9/17/2016. I was prepared to have to choose between morning service or night time turn down. It has been discussed on many threads here. When our room steward came in to introduce himself, he had a clipboard. I said, oh, now you will be asking which service we want for the room? He looked very puzzled, and said, no, the room would be serviced twice a day. And it was. It has been that way on every cruise we have been on. I have, noticed, that our steward, (on every ship) has always had an assistant, but, we deal with him or her (the main one, not the assistant). We do give them $20. on the 1st day, and I feel it is well worth it. And by the way, we had not given him the $20. yet, when the ? of 1 or 2 times servicing the room came up. We have had some go, so above and beyond, that we have tipped $50. in total, through the week. Not so much, nowadays as service has gone down so the $20. seems enough. I took a notebook on this cruise to jot down some of the things people ask about here. Room climate, etc... Funny, though, as there are 100's of people complaining about tablecloths versus none, I just don't seem to care enough, to even remember, and so, forgot to jot it down.:):o

What they mean is they are paying employees that are already on the ship to help them out. People that want to pickup extra money. I use to do the same thing as a waitress. If someone wanted to pick up some extra cash and had some time on their hands I would share my tips and have them bus my tables for me or run drinks or something. Room stewards are really not that different than waitresses/waiters. They get a low base wage and then work for tips, the more cabins/tables they serve the better their wages are. You want to make your job easier you slide a little cash to someone wanting some extra money and have them help you out.

I guess that would be possible, but thought that everyone else already had their duties assigned to them and were very busy already. But even if they did do this, if they did a good job and had that many cabins, they could share their tips and still make decent money for several cabins. With more people, better and faster work could be done.

Exactly

I was told by the steward that he does pay by himself a utility crew not on clock during turnaround days to help him make up the room for incoming passengers.

My last cruise was 9/10/16-9/17/2016. I was prepared to have to choose between morning service or night time turn down. It has been discussed on many threads here. When our room steward came in to introduce himself, he had a clipboard. I said, oh, now you will be asking which service we want for the room? He looked very puzzled, and said, no, the room would be serviced twice a day. And it was. It has been that way on every cruise we have been on. I have, noticed, that our steward, (on every ship) has always had an assistant, but, we deal with him or her (the main one, not the assistant). We do give them $20. on the 1st day, and I feel it is well worth it. And by the way, we had not given him the $20. yet, when the ? of 1 or 2 times servicing the room came up. We have had some go, so above and beyond, that we have tipped $50. in total, through the week. Not so much, nowadays as service has gone down so the $20. seems enough. I took a notebook on this cruise to jot down some of the things people ask about here. Room climate, etc... Funny, though, as there are 100's of people complaining about tablecloths versus none, I just don't seem to care enough, to even remember, and so, forgot to jot it down.:):o

What Ship were you on for this last cruise? Was it the Dream?

38 cabins? You know that it's a ship right. And it's not like he's going home when he's done. And it's not like he would come out for the mega deck party but it's only because he's cleaning your cabin. He's at work all the time. I'm sorry but if it where me I'd want to be as busy as possible as much as possible to make the time go by. And I was just thinking it's not like they are houses its one room that's not that big imagine maids in the states that have to drive house to house and actually clean not straighten up some things from yesterday. I hope you also told him to skip your room and give him a tip since youre so bothered by it. Oh lol you probably did you probably gave him a $20 smiled patted yourself on the back and told someone about it and that $20 is like a small fortune in there country. Anyway.......

Sent from my SM-N930P using Forums mobile app

Why is it sad. I don't feel sorry for them anymore then I do a server at at land based restaurant or housekeeping at a regular hotel. We all make choices and they have chosen to work on a cruise ship. If it was horrible I'm sure they wouldn't do it for years and years like many do.

Just off the Sunshine this month and had twice a day service with no questions or forms presented.

IF the time comes that they ask me to accept half the service for the same amount of tips. Well, that is not happening. Half the service, half the tip.

And they do not get paid by the cabin. They have a certain number of cabins assigned to them. Period.

Why is it sad. I don't feel sorry for them anymore then I do a server at at land based restaurant or housekeeping at a regular hotel. We all make choices and they have chosen to work on a cruise ship. If it was horrible I'm sure they wouldn't do it for years and years like many do.

Hard to be away from family so long but this is their choice and they make a lot more than they would at home.

These are very desirable jobs.

Hard to be away from family so long but this is their choice and they make a lot more than they would at home.

These are very desirable jobs.

Exactly. Military, firefighters, doctors these people all work very long shifts and obviously especially people in the military spend long stretches of time away from home. Does anyone feel sorry for them? And someone just starting out in the military isn't making a ton of money either.

You're on "vacation" right now and your worry/concern is how much the cabin steward is earning......ok.

On my cruises I've noticed crew with braces on their teeth, the new iPhone watches.....I think they're doing fine. This is 2016, we choose our career paths. However, if the service that I receive warrants extra in tips, I will tip extra.

Exactly. Military, firefighters, doctors these people all work very long shifts and obviously especially people in the military spend long stretches of time away from home. Does anyone feel sorry for them? And someone just starting out in the military isn't making a ton of money either.

What they do deserve is our respect and admiration for working hard for a better life for their families.

Yesterday, we started our Carnival Dream cruise. Our cabin steward asked if we want once a day or twice a day service. I chose evening service because we are often night owls and sometimes we don't leave the cabin until 9:30 or 10:30 a.m..

Today I spoke with him and learned that he now has 38 cabins to service. Over 20 are morning or two a day service. In the evening he only has 18 to service

This is a ridiculous number of cabins for the stewards and they need to hire more assistants to get the work done. They are not making more money. We spoke about this and he didn't give me the "poor me" attitude. He also told me that he doesn't make any more money. With his attitude I am inclined to take what he said as the truth.

This is greatest evidence of Carnival cutbacks that I have seen and it really bothers me.

It is a sad situation.

Take care,

Mike

How do you know what a ridiculous number is? Why do you feel sorry for them? Aren't they making the choice to work, and make "more" money than what they would make at home? Do you shop at K-mart or McDonalds or any other similar place? If so, do you also feel sorry for them, or do you gladly open up your wallet for the discounted food, or product.

Most service industry people work hard, and for very little. It's a sad situation all around, but they are choices made by each individual that places them on the ship.

I also agree, that Carnival seems to have the worst track record for overall customer service, and employees per guest ratio. On the other hand, you are on a Carnival ship, because it is cheap.

If you feel bad, don't cruise Carnival.

Most cabins have at least guests (maybe 3-4) but lets assume 2 for each.

The stewards are tipped through auto tips and I think its about 5.50 per person per day to the stewards. So at 2 people a room that's $11.00 per day per room--38 rooms x $11.00 = $418.00 per day. Even if they have to share with a helper--lets say 50/50 that's still $209 per day--7 days a week $1463 a week.

This is on the low end since I am not counting the extra cash tips, the rooms with 3-4 people (so more auto tips) and I think I estimated low on the daily amount that goes to them.

Not bad money whatsoever. Me...I work 80 hours a week to make ends meet--it is what it is. I work hard and make money

Your math is horribly wrong. And, their gross is of no concern. What you are tipping for, at less than $6 a day, is having your cabin serviced twice a day (yes, that always an option) with fresh lines scrubbed down, your mess cleaned up, their availability 24 hours a day to bring you fresh towels, linens, ice, pillows, etc. etc, etc. A good portion of people pull their tips and tip nothing or pocket change because they believe crap like your math and "they should be grateful". The more cabins they had, the greater percentage of pigs and being hosed on tips.

Your math is horribly wrong. And, their gross is of no concern. What you are tipping for, at less than $6 a day, is having your cabin serviced twice a day (yes, that always an option) with fresh lines scrubbed down, your mess cleaned up, their availability 24 hours a day to bring you fresh towels, linens, ice, pillows, etc. etc, etc. A good portion of people pull their tips and tip nothing or pocket change because they believe crap like your math and "they should be grateful". The more cabins they had, the greater percentage of pigs and being hosed on tips.

Your math is pretty bad as well. Tips per person for the steward used to be $3.90 per person per day. Since the increase the breakdown has suddenly disappeared ( as well as the option to tip in cash, BTW). So for 2 that's roughly $8/day. A family of 4 is roughly $16/day. That well exceeds basic room tipping suggestions on land.

Your suggestion that twice a day is always an option is being challenged on 6 ships; some have no problem, and some are being fed garbage.

Not sure why you are calling some Carnival cruisers names.

When you say less than $6 per day, I assume you mean per person. But the work isn't really per person and I don't tip per person in a hotel, where $6/day for the entire room is considered generous. I was happy to be tipping $19.50/day for my room ($3.90 x 5) and would even give extra cash, as long as I received service that was far above and beyond a typical hotel experience.

The obvious reason for the sympathy is that stewards typically come from countries where we assume there are few opportunities, and we imagine very poor relatives at home depending on their paychecks. That's partly based on reality and partly based on our US/Western biased view of the world.

I had to have read that wrong, you aren't suggesting if people dont' want to tip above what Carnival is already charging in tips they should just stop cruising are you?

Not quite. You missed a big "if". "If" you are upset that Carnival stewards are not getting paid enough for the amount of work they do, you can solve that with one of 2 solutions. Tip more therefore they will get paid more for your cabin. Or quit cruising with Carnival so they won't have to clean your cabin. More money for same amount of work or same money for less work. But if too many people take the second option, it could lead to staff reductions. More people out of work. And the last if is if you want Carnival to pay them more, they will probably raise their fares. It all comes down to a free market mixture of supply and demand.

Ok, not sure where your nastiness come from. I was commenting that they are not in a "sad" situation. We all work hard for our money, some of us make a salary, some work on tips. so what??? They work hard, and they do get paid a good amount--a great amount even for where they come from. Not too bad. Nobody said "they should be grateful" and tried to diminish what they get paid. Jeez--I think you need to park your attitude.

And BTW--the room steward doesn't have to do much ever in my room, and I do tip well. So don't worry about that. And as far as 24 hrs a day--not true--I called for towels in the afternoon on one of my cruises--the steward said he would be back after dinner to bring them. They are not slaves, they have times off--nobody is available 24 hrs a day

Edited by bingomamma19

If you really are concerned for your room steward , then don't leave your room in a total mess. That way they won't have to spend so much time cleaning it up. Walking by some rooms when the door is open and they look like a frat party was in it .

Agree 100%. We have cruised with our 3 kids the past few trips and we always remind them at hotels or on a cruise ship that we should have things look even better than we do at home. Although it is someone else's responsibility to make sure our room and furnishings are clean, it isn't their responsibility to organize our junk. Something spills, we clean it. All trash goes in its proper place. Towels go in the bathroom. Got a mountain of crumbs on the table, we clean them up.

Sounds simple, but it makes a difference.

Ok, not sure where your nastiness come from. I was commenting that they are not in a "sad" situation. We all work hard for our money, some of us make a salary, some work on tips. so what??? They work hard, and they do get paid a good amount--a great amount even for where they come from. Not too bad. Nobody said "they should be grateful" and tried to diminish what they get paid. Jeez--I think you need to park your attitude.

And BTW--the room steward doesn't have to do much ever in my room, and I do tip well. So don't worry about that. And as far as 24 hrs a day--not true--I called for towels in the afternoon on one of my cruises--the steward said he would be back after dinner to bring them. They are not slaves, they have times off--nobody is available 24 hrs a day

Yes, you pick up the phone and call Housekeeping at 3 am, someone is coming. One example does not make it true.