On the Dream Now. Sort of a sad thing.

MMastell

Yes, you pick up the phone and call Housekeeping at 3 am, someone is coming. One example does not make it true.

You're dilusional if you think they are available 24 hours a day. They are not.

Mine always tell me the hours they are off in the afternoon, and come back after 5.

Yesterday, we started our Carnival Dream cruise. Our cabin steward asked if we want once a day or twice a day service. I chose evening service because we are often night owls and sometimes we don't leave the cabin until 9:30 or 10:30 a.m..

Today I spoke with him and learned that he now has 38 cabins to service. Over 20 are morning or two a day service. In the evening he only has 18 to service

This is a ridiculous number of cabins for the stewards and they need to hire more assistants to get the work done. They are not making more money. We spoke about this and he didn't give me the "poor me" attitude. He also told me that he doesn't make any more money. With his attitude I am inclined to take what he said as the truth.

This is greatest evidence of Carnival cutbacks that I have seen and it really bothers me.

It is a sad situation.

Take care,

Mike

there is only 24 hour per day. 38 rooms even 15 min per room twice a day ....my math dose not work here. and yes, I will ask for twice a day service .

Yes, you pick up the phone and call Housekeeping at 3 am, someone is coming. One example does not make it true.

LOL no one will come or even answer to you. unless it's emergency and you water broke or thing like that . And it's not you steward who will come .:p:p

there is only 24 hour per day. 38 rooms even 15 min per room twice a day ....my math dose not work here. and yes, I will ask for twice a day service .

Morning cleaning will take 15 minutes but think the pm one maybe 5, all they have to do is make towel animal, turn down bedding and replace towels and leave fun times.

When you have some people that cruise 2 or 3 times a years!! They want the service at their feet...... And the high ballers that are in SUITES.....

Wow, you like to judge people! I cruise 3-5 times a year at least. Not often but if a great deal is offered a suite as well. I've never demanded service at my feet. I do expect good service and have never felt the need to complain about any cabin servicing I've ever received on any cruise. As for suite experiences you should and often do receive service from the best rated attendants on the ship. That's why they are assigned there. So I never have demanded more from them either. I expect them to do a good job. I understand that hiccups occur usually it's no fault of the staff and things are made right quickly. In short no worries and no need to make waves....

You show your ignorance when you ASSume things about people.

When you have some people that cruise 2 or 3 times a years!! They want the service at their feet...... And the high ballers that are in SUITES.....

High ballers + Carnival cruises does not equate. I'm not implying that extremely rich people don't take Carnival cruises, only that in doing so they are eschewing their 'high baller' status, likely on purpose.

Yesterday, we started our Carnival Dream cruise. Our cabin steward asked if we want once a day or twice a day service. I chose evening service because we are often night owls and sometimes we don't leave the cabin until 9:30 or 10:30 a.m..

Today I spoke with him and learned that he now has 38 cabins to service. Over 20 are morning or two a day service. In the evening he only has 18 to service

This is a ridiculous number of cabins for the stewards and they need to hire more assistants to get the work done. They are not making more money. We spoke about this and he didn't give me the "poor me" attitude. He also told me that he doesn't make any more money. With his attitude I am inclined to take what he said as the truth.

This is greatest evidence of Carnival cutbacks that I have seen and it really bothers me.

It is a sad situation.

Take care,

Mike

I'm just curious as to why it bothers you? Do you think your customers (whoever they may be) worry about your workload or chat with others about what your workload might be like?? :confused:

I just got off the Dream yesterday and it was very obvious there is less staff and they are spread thinner. Not one crew member complained but they were clearly hustling. I can see the cutbacks made by Carnival...think portion sizes on meals. And my husband gets industry newsletters thru work and if my memory serves me, Carnival made 1.4 billion last QUARTER. Our waiter in Roatan excursion said he worked for Princess for 3 years. He worked 75 days on and got 7 days off. He made $680/mo. You decide.

Not sure what your point is??

Not quite. You missed a big "if". "If" you are upset that Carnival stewards are not getting paid enough for the amount of work they do, you can solve that with one of 2 solutions. Tip more therefore they will get paid more for your cabin. Or quit cruising with Carnival so they won't have to clean your cabin. More money for same amount of work or same money for less work. But if too many people take the second option, it could lead to staff reductions. More people out of work. And the last if is if you want Carnival to pay them more, they will probably raise their fares. It all comes down to a free market mixture of supply and demand.

Awww that makes more sense, see I knew I was missing something. Yes I totally agree with that.

I'm gonna have to let the kids and DH know we are high ballers now, why didn't anyone tell us year ago? lol

As far as cutting back on portions sizes isn't it about time? There's really no reason for Carnival or any other dining facility to serve massive portion sizes and the majority of people to leave food on the plate while they move onto dessert or something else. It's totally wasteful. Serve a proper size meal and those that want/need another can order another, keeps the waste down. Nothing wrong with that. It's not cutbacks, it's common sense.

Why do you care. It really is none of your business; do you tell people what you get paid. What is the obsession with this topic????

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's kind of what I'm wondering. Why is their pay anyones business? Do you go up to sales people and ask them what their commission rate is? Do you ask your waitress what her base pay is and make sure you leave a huge tip because you feel bad she is making such a small wage? Do you ask the house keeper at the hotels you go to what they make and how many rooms they have clean before you leave them their tip so you can adjust it accordingly?

It is a sad situation.

Take care,

Mike

If they don't like they move on.

If the pay rate and workload is so horrible, why do they even apply for the jobs knowing full well what the pay scale is???? Cut backs are happening everywhere, it's a sad sign of the times. I have personally had my workload increase 3 fold with no pay raise. If I don't like it, I look elsewhere for a job that is more agreeable to my needs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's kind of what I'm wondering. Why is their pay anyones business? Do you go up to sales people and ask them what their commission rate is? Do you ask your waitress what her base pay is and make sure you leave a huge tip because you feel bad she is making such a small wage? Do you ask the house keeper at the hotels you go to what they make and how many rooms they have clean before you leave them their tip so you can adjust it accordingly?

I'm slightly concerned that Carnival is skimming money off the top. When Carnival automatically withdraws money from my sail and sign account I would appreciate some level of transparency on how it is distributed. I also would like to know how much I've already tipped a staff member when I make the decision to tip additional cash for excellent service.

Edit: I have no interest in finding out a crew members base pay. I would like to know the breakdown of how my tips are disbursed.

Edited by fivetwoseven

Cruises are a unique situation in which many employees who provide very different, unrelated services receive tips from a lump sum that is automatically deducted from every guest, an amount that totals $364 for a family of four on a seven-day cruise. People who wish to reduce that amount, because they received poor or reduced service, are criticized, as are people who want to tip directly in cash. Some staff are reportedly telling guests that they can't provide the same level of service they used to because they have more rooms to service, but that would mean they received a large pay increase if they're still receiving the same amount per person. If they're receiving less per person that they used to, this would confirm the reports that they are servicing more cabins and support theories that once-a-day service is the company's ultimate goal. Is it really surprising that people want to know how much of their tips are going to the stewards and to other staff?

I'm slightly concerned that Carnival is skimming money off the top. When Carnival automatically withdraws money from my sail and sign account I would appreciate some level of transparency on how it is distributed. I also would like to know how much I've already tipped a staff member when I make the decision to tip additional cash for excellent service.

Edit: I have no interest in finding out a crew members base pay. I would like to know the breakdown of how my tips are disbursed.

JH has always said that all tip money goes to the crew.

I cruised with Carnival twice in the last year - I have found the crew all the way around to be happier and friendlier than other cruise lines. I didn't hear them complaining or giving any sob stories - IMO, I don't know how much they get paid and if they pay their co-workers to help them or not but what I've observed is that they are generally happy with the system in place. I suppose each ship is different - we were on the Conquest last NYE and on the Legend in May. We are about to sail with Vista so we'll see how that goes.

There are crew members who have worked for Carnival as crew for 10-20 years. You can usually tell by retention if crew is satisfied.

You should be more concerned about the government skimming money that Carnival. ;)

If these rooms stewards had such a hard life why would they continue signing new contracts? There are a lot of ships out there from many lines. If Carnival overworks them just move on.

The OP is a sucker. I personally don't care how many cabins they have to clean. That isn't my concern. But, if I was a cabin steward I would welcome a large number of cabins to clean because more cabins equals more tips.