On the Dream Now. Sort of a sad thing.

MMastell

Hmm... that's a very American point of view.

I don't get it - how is that an American point of view? People always have options - some are darned near impossible to achieve but many do all around the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am gobsmacked at the amount of really ignorant replies on this post to with 'if they dont like it they can leave' and 'they are well paid' and 'saught after jobs'.

I think some are forgetting that a lot of lower paid crew dont have much of a choice as they come from countries where the economies, government and job oppurtunities are not as plentiful/well paid as ours. The only reason cruise jobs are saught after is because they are better than the peanuts paid back up home and they have some sort of job security. Its all well and good to say 'I worked hard too you know' but most of the western world hasn't really experienced what working hard out of true poverty is. A young guy can qualify as a surveyor in his home country such as the Philippines but the pay is so bad for so many hours a far away crew member job pays better. Of course there are crew from slightly better off countries but these are often ones with unrest that halts that a bit (certain European countries come to mind).

I am glad that companies have offered oppurtunities but I am also thankful I was born in a country that allowed me a whole host of choices. A big majority of the people who give you a clean cabin and your food didn't have that.

Not to mention after all that work theres a good chance someone will stiff them anyway because they are not paid a living wage. Thats another kettle of fish though.

I also ponder at why people are so certain that the cabin crew keep all their tips. I have always been suspicious of the computer system but then again I could be wrong.

And again I will say I don't feel sorry for them. You want to feel bad for people, read this story to see people that we should all feel sad for.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/programs/lwp/NLC_childlabor.html

And really your entire statement could apply to people in any country including the US. We have many that qualify as working poor. They work minimum wage in the only jobs they are qualified to do. This isn't specific to cruise ship workers.

I am gobsmacked at the amount of really ignorant replies on this post to with 'if they dont like it they can leave' and 'they are well paid' and 'saught after jobs'.

I think some are forgetting that a lot of lower paid crew dont have much of a choice as they come from countries where the economies, government and job oppurtunities are not as plentiful/well paid as ours. The only reason cruise jobs are saught after is because they are better than the peanuts paid back up home and they have some sort of job security. Its all well and good to say 'I worked hard too you know' but most of the western world hasn't really experienced what working hard out of true poverty is. A young guy can qualify as a surveyor in his home country such as the Philippines but the pay is so bad for so many hours a far away crew member job pays better. Of course there are crew from slightly better off countries but these are often ones with unrest that halts that a bit (certain European countries come to mind).

I am glad that companies have offered oppurtunities but I am also thankful I was born in a country that allowed me a whole host of choices. A big majority of the people who give you a clean cabin and your food didn't have that.

Not to mention after all that work theres a good chance someone will stiff them anyway because they are not paid a living wage. Thats another kettle of fish though.

I also ponder at why people are so certain that the cabin crew keep all their tips. I have always been suspicious of the computer system but then again I could be wrong"

I don't get your point, they come from very poor countries and because they make a good wage (with tips) on the ship, we should feel bad for them? They have an opportunity to work and make excellent money, especially converting it back to what their wages would be in their country.

I work hard and am just plain middle class---I don't make more than my counterparts...so what?

In reality, its a service job--most of which in the US make very little money. Its not a highly skilled job, but they work hard and make good money. Nothing to feel bad about.

Edited by bingomamma19

To say people have options is an American point of view? You want to elaborate on that please.

Absolutely, OP didn't just make a statement about options. I believe she stated "This is the career they choose to do, why should I feel bad about it?"

OP makes it seem like the the folks working 7 days a week 14-16 hours a day cleaning rooms might have had career paths that led to surgeon, lawyer, or CEO. Not likely. Everyone has options, but not the same options. I am very fortunate to have been born as an American with almost limitless opportunity. I oftentimes feel like I have a radical viewpoint by seeing that not everyone has the same.

For me personally, I feel empathy when hard working folks are asked to do more work for the same compensation. I certainly hate when it happens to me. I have a problem when corporations put more money in the one percenters pockets on the backs of the laborers.

This talk about people from 3rd world countries that work in other countries, at what the people in those countries regard as "inadequate wages" although they are earning way more than their brothers at home are earning, reminds me of another such situation.

Almost 50 years ago when oil exploration was in its prime here in Louisiana, I had many friends working in the oil industry mostly as common laborers.

Oil exploration was just picking up in the middle east and they needed trained workers and were hiring them from our area. A few of my friends were offered the opportunity to go but most refused to stay home with their families instead of signing a 6 month contract to work abroad when they felt they were already earning a decent wage here.

One of them went and he earned more each week than his fellow workers back home were earning in a month. He felt like he was rich. In his months abroad he met many locals and was invited to some of their homes.

It seems the locals felt sorry for him because he was paid so little and had to work so hard and be away from his family for so long. They often gave him clothes and other gifts which he took so as not to hurt their feelings though he felt he really didn't need their charity as he was earning what he considered high wages.

He gladly signed up 2 more times for 6 month stretches until he came home once, met a girl, got married, bought a new car, put a down payment on a new home and furniture and remained working here, for much less money for the next 40 years.

One man's riches are another man's poverty.

OP makes it seem like the the folks working 7 days a week 14-16 hours a day cleaning rooms might have had career paths that led to surgeon, lawyer, or CEO. Not likely. .

Not likely? You really should make an effort to meet the ship officers and management next time you are on a cruise ship. It is not uncommon to see the executive housekeeper, head chef, department managers and even cruise director are from some third world countries (Philippine, India, Caribbean, Peru just to name a few). Many started out at the bottom in the hospitality industry and worked their way up to where they are today. Still not convinced? Then google the corporate executive CVs at MacDonald's and see how many began their careers as burger flippers or window cashiers at a McD joint. I doubt any of these successful professionals have the defeated attitude you described or need anyone to feel sorry for them because of their humble background or where they were from.

Why is it assumed that everyone wants to be a CEO? Choosing a career does not necessarily mean choosing a career path of upward mobility. Not everyone in the world wants that whether they have that option or not. Everyone has their own motivation - and I stick to my statement, this is the career they choose. Thank you tallyho8 for the excellent example.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums