On the Dream Now. Sort of a sad thing.

MMastell

I have always cruised in a suite. Our first cruise was an anniversary present from my husband's employer. My husband works very hard at his job and the owner notices that. We enjoyed the suite so much that we now save for a suite every time. We are not high ballers and do not expect everything at our feet. I don't think most people do. The ones who do stand out so we remember them more.

Present from the employer...... Well some people have it like that. And I like you remember the Thurson Howell III from Gilligan Island.

I sat at dinner table with some.

This is the career they choose to do, why should I feel bad about it?

Everyone has options.

I personally like room service 2x a day (mostly to dump trash and fresh towels) and I like fresh ice often (would rather get it myself but that's not an option) but I also leave the room so immaculate it doesn't look like I'm even staying there so it's not that hard to freshen up for them.

If they have too many rooms or paid too little or have helpers - not my problem. If it was a problem, Carnival would reduce room cleaning to once a day or less, and there would be complaints over all the boards of rooms not getting cleaned and cranky housekeeping. For the most part I'm not seeing that.

I pay the gratuities, I get the service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am really tired of the stewards complaining to the guest. They sign a contract to do a specific job. They get paid. They just need to do their job and stop crying.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exactly...I don't think its actually complaining though. I think its playing up to the crowd that will feel sorry for them and tip them more if given a sad story. If you make a living off of tips, you learn how to work the crowd to get more money.

Either way, they are employees just like the rest of us and get paid very well to do a job, period.

If more people pull their tips for less service, the crew will complain. Service will get worse because morale will go down. If service and morale goes down, passengers have bad experiences and quit cruising. Then Carnival will have to do something. It won't be immediate, but eventually the cruising industry will start offering good service and perks again.

Hate for the crew to suffer in the mean time, but isn't that how it works? Customers can run the businesses with their pocketbooks.

Edited by silverpenguin

Most cabins have at least guests (maybe 3-4) but lets assume 2 for each.

The stewards are tipped through auto tips and I think its about 5.50 per person per day to the stewards. So at 2 people a room that's $11.00 per day per room--38 rooms x $11.00 = $418.00 per day. Even if they have to share with a helper--lets say 50/50 that's still $209 per day--7 days a week $1463 a week.

This is on the low end since I am not counting the extra cash tips, the rooms with 3-4 people (so more auto tips) and I think I estimated low on the daily amount that goes to them.

Yup....these type threads always kill me with the brigade who come forth moaning about how these workers are somehow underpaid.

I would bet a stateroom attendant makes more than a comparable maid would right here in the US working for minimum wage which works out to $290 a week if they are full time. They are not pulling down anywhere near the tip income.

The math doesn't lie.

Yup....these type threads always kill me with the brigade who come forth moaning about how these workers are somehow underpaid.

I would bet a stateroom attendant makes more than a comparable maid would right here in the US working for minimum wage which works out to $290 a week if they are full time. They are not pulling down anywhere near the tip income.

The math doesn't lie.

Very true. Might be a hard job but they certainly get paid well for it or they would not leave home and family for 6-8 months at a time.

We are just off the Dream... we were not asked to choose a morning or night service.. we received wonderful twice a day service...

as for the rest of the Dream...mmmeeehhh.. Entertainment was lacking greatly.. for the first time I am seriously contemplating going elsewhere..

Of course he's making more money, he gets paid by the cabin. The more cabins they service, the more money they make. Sorry but I do think he was playing the poor me card if he told you he was making the same tending to 38 cabins as he was 20 or whatever he was before.

I don't know who told you that, but I'm 99% sure that is patently incorrect. They get paid a flat monthly rate, and then tips. So yes, he is technically making more money because of the tips, I certainly can't imagine most of us working the split shifts that room stewards do for barely minimum wage.

I don't know who told you that, but I'm 99% sure that is patently incorrect. They get paid a flat monthly rate, and then tips. So yes, he is technically making more money because of the tips, I certainly can't imagine most of us working the split shifts that room stewards do for barely minimum wage.

....and tips make up the vast majority of their salary just like a server in the US. Both have low hourly rates but that is only a small portion of their total compensation.

So....the more cabins assigned to him the more income. It can work no other way and it comes out no where near 'barely minimum wage'.

....and tips make up the vast majority of their salary just like a server in the US. Both have low hourly rates but that is only a small portion of their total compensation.

So....the more cabins assigned to him the more income. It can work no other way and it comes out no where near 'barely minimum wage'.

They are very highly sought positions

I'm the OP.

I have more cruises under my belt than most of the responders. I know when I'm being shaken down or being given a line. I was the one who initiated the conversation and asked the questions long after we were asked if we wanted once or twice a day service.

I'll use the irritating quote: "I'm Platinum" and I have seen the slow decline of service and standards in dining, passenger to crew ratio, housekeeping and bar service. That is what makes me sad. These were very evident on Dream. I did have a very good time but it wasn't the cruise experience I had come to expect.

If you started cruising in 2010 it's not as noticeable. It was the same thing in 2000 when I started cruising and the "old timers" were complaining about things not being the same.

Carnival is not the only cruise line that has made cutbacks. It is across the industry but Carnival's are much more noticeable.

A number of years ago someone had made a statement, on another board, that they would be happy if Carnival put in a Cracker Barrel restaurant on their ships. I laughed at that. Now, I can see it coming.

Yes, I know. "If you don't like Carnival then sail on another line." My next cruise is on Celebrity. I haven't sailed them in almost two years and I'll see how that has changed.

Take care,

Mike

Present from the employer...... Well some people have it like that. And I like you remember the Thurson Howell III from Gilligan Island.

I sat at dinner table with some.

Wow, you seem to have a real problem with people who have anything above the average. My husband has worked for this small business since 1980. App. 20 years ago the owner moved to Arizona and left my husband to run everything. The business makes more money under my husband than it ever has and the owner is rarely out this way-in fact he didn't come back at all until a few years ago. The owner knows how rare it is to have someone that you can trust so implicitly with everything so he rewards my husband generously. That has never caused us to become the Howells. We've all worked minimum wage and tips jobs and we remember our roots. I still believe that MOST people are nice but you are causing me to rethink that. I have found that when people make generalities that said generalities tend to reflect on them more than anyone else. My family is one of those who leave the room in very good condition, doesn't ask a lot and tips well. I treat others as I would like to be treated and since I like to be treated well the people around me get that from me also. Have a blessed day and I hope that your outlook gets better. Life is too short to be so ....

A number of years ago someone had made a statement, on another board, that they would be happy if Carnival put in a Cracker Barrel restaurant on their ships. I laughed at that. Now, I can see it coming.

A Cracker Barrel would have been an upgrade to the MDR experience on either the Disney Fantasy or the Oasis of the Seas.

I am gobsmacked at the amount of really ignorant replies on this post to with 'if they dont like it they can leave' and 'they are well paid' and 'saught after jobs'.

I think some are forgetting that a lot of lower paid crew dont have much of a choice as they come from countries where the economies, government and job oppurtunities are not as plentiful/well paid as ours. The only reason cruise jobs are saught after is because they are better than the peanuts paid back up home and they have some sort of job security. Its all well and good to say 'I worked hard too you know' but most of the western world hasn't really experienced what working hard out of true poverty is. A young guy can qualify as a surveyor in his home country such as the Philippines but the pay is so bad for so many hours a far away crew member job pays better. Of course there are crew from slightly better off countries but these are often ones with unrest that halts that a bit (certain European countries come to mind).

I am glad that companies have offered oppurtunities but I am also thankful I was born in a country that allowed me a whole host of choices. A big majority of the people who give you a clean cabin and your food didn't have that.

Not to mention after all that work theres a good chance someone will stiff them anyway because they are not paid a living wage. Thats another kettle of fish though.

I also ponder at why people are so certain that the cabin crew keep all their tips. I have always been suspicious of the computer system but then again I could be wrong.

I am gobsmacked at the amount of really ignorant replies on this post to with 'if they dont like it they can leave' and 'they are well paid' and 'saught after jobs'.

I think some are forgetting that a lot of lower paid crew dont have much of a choice as they come from countries where the economies, government and job oppurtunities are not as plentiful/well paid as ours. The only reason cruise jobs are saught after is because they are better than the peanuts paid back up home and they have some sort of job security. Its all well and good to say 'I worked hard too you know' but most of the western world hasn't really experienced what working hard out of true poverty is. A young guy can qualify as a surveyor in his home country such as the Philippines but the pay is so bad for so many hours a far away crew member job pays better. Of course there are crew from slightly better off countries but these are often ones with unrest that halts that a bit (certain European countries come to mind).

I am glad that companies have offered oppurtunities but I am also thankful I was born in a country that allowed me a whole host of choices. A big majority of the people who give you a clean cabin and your food didn't have that.

Not to mention after all that work theres a good chance someone will stiff them anyway because they are not paid a living wage. Thats another kettle of fish though.

I also ponder at why people are so certain that the cabin crew keep all their tips. I have always been suspicious of the computer system but then again I could be wrong.

LOL....the math is out there and has been posted in this thread. You do realize the steward positions we are talking about make a higher wage than some people right here in the USA who do similar jobs? Given many come from areas with economies you describe 'not as plentiful' their real world buying power is even higher.

These people are simply not poor 'working for peanuts'. They are making as much or more than comparable American workers who do the jobs at minimum wage without our much higher cost of living.

As someone who read with interest all your posts before your first cruise about not paying crew wages for Carnival through tipping I am glad to read you have come far and do tip. It's a pleasure to see a person from a non-tipping culture come around to understanding cultures that do tip and then follow through accordingly. Well done!

You really should stop cruising and donate all your vacation money to the less fortunate in the third world. They need the money way more than you. Think about it.

LOL....the math is out there and has been posted in this thread. You do realize the steward positions we are talking about make a higher wage than some people right here in the USA who do similar jobs? Given many come from areas with economies you describe 'not as plentiful' their real world buying power is even higher.

These people are simply not poor 'working for peanuts'. They are making as much or more than comparable American workers who do the jobs at minimum wage without our much higher cost of living.

You didn't read my post. When I said 'peanuts' that was what they were/could be earning back home. There are countries that pay less to accountants/doctors than other countries pay their waiters/crew members due to economy. There is a chance someone who serves you could be more of a proffesional that you are but there qualification may not have the portability across countries.

I don't think you can compare poverty in the US/Europe to some of the poverty in other countries (hence my point in my first post). Theres a complete difference between not having enough to buy milk with no heating/tv to being homeless in southern asia and a baby thats sick because the plumbing system and police that will sexually exploit you or steal your baby for money and no-one in power will help(an extreme example I came across recently). Not to mention the US case probably had more of a shot at getting an education where the southern asian example did not for various reasons.Not that all crew member countries are destitute and not that both examples are not sad. I do sometimes think us westerners don't realise how lucky we are.

Yes there are people in the western world that earn less than a crew member but that is a very very small percentage. This gets even smaller when you look at the rest of the world who pay fair and minimum wages to service staff and are taking this further by paying a living wage. This also highlights a serious moral problem with the US service pay system (something I have argued about many a time so will stop there) and service staff on land should be paid fairly.

The math may well match up but what really happens to computer accounts is really a mystery to most of us even if we do not like to think about it.

SanMarco, I didn't realise my posts were followed so closely. I do indeed keep my grats on as I don't want anyone to lose out but I do wish they would have a fair wage. Brits do actually tip in restuarants...its around 10% for good service (nothing for bad) and rounding up for other service industries.

Sfaa, thats a good idea lets all stop cruising and all of us give our holiday money to those less fortunate. :rolleyes: Just because I care about the people I meet (not matter what they do) doesn't mean I should throw every spare penny at them. I am not going to talk about my charity activities on here as its quite crass but I can say ...do unto others as you would do unto yourself.

I see some (not all) US folk really jump at non Americans and assume they are not going to tip and what not. But what really surprises us non US citizens is how some (not all) Americans treat and talk about service staff.

Yes there are people in the western world that earn less than a crew member but that is a very very small percentage. This gets even smaller when you look at the rest of the world who pay fair and minimum wages to service staff and are taking this further by paying a living wage. This also highlights a serious moral problem with the US service pay system (something I have argued about many a time so will stop there) and service staff on land should be paid fairly.

I see some (not all) US folk really jump at non Americans and assume they are not going to tip and what not. But what really surprises us non US citizens is how some (not all) Americans treat and talk about service staff.

Most likely that is because all the Europeans and Aussies go on and on about how Americans are wrong because we don't pay some of our service industry people a supposed "living wage" (just like the crap I highlighted above). We don't do things wrong, we just do them different......like you driving on the opposite side of the road. Does the fact that 90% of the world drives on the right side of the world make those who don't wrong?

Edited by Computer Nerd