On the Dream Now. Sort of a sad thing.

MMastell

If these rooms stewards had such a hard life why would they continue signing new contracts? There are a lot of ships out there from many lines. If Carnival overworks them just move on.

The OP is a sucker. I personally don't care how many cabins they have to clean. That isn't my concern. But, if I was a cabin steward I would welcome a large number of cabins to clean because more cabins equals more tips.

Agreed

And if they have too many hire a crewmember who wants to make a few bucks and pocket the difference. Capitalism 101:)

I'm slightly concerned that Carnival is skimming money off the top. When Carnival automatically withdraws money from my sail and sign account I would appreciate some level of transparency on how it is distributed. I also would like to know how much I've already tipped a staff member when I make the decision to tip additional cash for excellent service.

Edit: I have no interest in finding out a crew members base pay. I would like to know the breakdown of how my tips are disbursed.

Do you care where your tips go in a restaurant? Again, what is your obsession with this issue

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If the pay rate and workload is so horrible, why do they even apply for the jobs knowing full well what the pay scale is???? Cut backs are happening everywhere, it's a sad sign of the times. I have personally had my workload increase 3 fold with no pay raise. If I don't like it, I look elsewhere for a job that is more agreeable to my needs.

You are comparing apples to oranges. Working conditions and wages in many of the crew home countries are brutal. Working 12 hours plus a day on ship is way less dangerous, pays better and allows them to support large families. What good people do is recognize that and appreciate their skills/work ethnic and not use it as a way to justify hosing them on tips.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's kind of what I'm wondering. Why is their pay anyones business? Do you go up to sales people and ask them what their commission rate is? Do you ask your waitress what her base pay is and make sure you leave a huge tip because you feel bad she is making such a small wage? Do you ask the house keeper at the hotels you go to what they make and how many rooms they have clean before you leave them their tip so you can adjust it accordingly?

I know, right. By this logic, people should figure who is the best servers thus meaning they make more money so they don't need your money. There are cruisers who quiz wait staff on their spending habits to determine if they should encourage said behavior by tipping or withhold tips since they will just squander it away. Part of the mind set of people want to leave stuff instead of cash is knowing that what happens when you give cash as a gift and receievers piss it away so you give them something so they can't buy something you think has no value.

Some people cruise more than that.. im missing the point... i think i cruised 9 times last year, and going on my 4th 5th and 6th for this year within the next month, have several booked for next year, and yes, Ive stayed in suites, but.. what does that have to do with anything.. i dont want any service at my feet, at all, as i said in my previous post, these people work super hard no doubt about it, but they make good money.

some people think you should feel guilty for being able to cruise so often.

Hard work has nothing to do with it of course

You are right AND further that by converting it to their own currency, and the workers while they work very very hard, they are indeed paid well for it. Now add to that, that many of them, are on board for 7 months, home for two, so they still live at home, even if they have children.

Add to that they are housed and fed for approx 9 months in a year... if i had to buy food only 3 months a year, had my children taken care of by grand parents, often in the grandparents home, go home for cpl month often times with my spouse or partner who ALSO works on the ship and makes the same money, and they are not doing too bad.

Where do they live for the other month of the year? :confused:

Bill

It's YOUR money. If you were sending it to your child through a middle man and you found out it didn't ALL go to the intended, I would be concerned.

My CHILD isn't a cabin steward on any cruise line. I worry about my child. I don't worry about employees of any business.

Apples and Zucchini. :rolleyes:

Why is this all Carnival's fault? If you really want to help your room attendant out, don't mess up your cabin and turn it into a disaster zone. Don't leave dirty dishes everywhere. Don't complain when you don't get your towel animal. Don't throw your towels on the floor after using them once or twice and don't stiff the crews and remove DSC.

Why is this all Carnival's fault? If you really want to help your room attendant out, don't mess up your cabin and turn it into a disaster zone. Don't leave dirty dishes everywhere. Don't complain when you don't get your towel animal. Don't throw your towels on the floor after using them once or twice and don't stiff the crews and remove DSC.

I agreed with you until you wanted to take away my towel animal.:eek:

When the recommended tip amount went up, Carnival did not provide us with a specific breakdown for each type of service, as they did in the past. The FAQ now only says generally: "The majority of the tipping amount goes to employees such as stateroom stewards, assistant stewards, dining room waiters and assistant waiters. A small portion goes to a mix of other personnel who are in guest-facing customer service positions within areas such as culinary and hotel services, along with certain key positions in entertainment and guest services." I can't find a current breakdown of the tips, like was previously in the FAQ. Please point me to the information if you can find it. This doesn't mean Carnival is tricking guests and pocketing tips, just that they may be distributing them differently among staff.

The info you are looking for is available at onboard self help kiosk terminal. Call up your onboard account and DSC breakdown pops right up. Nothing is hidden.

I agreed with you until you wanted to take away my towel animal.:eek:

I've never understood the deal with the towel animals. That is the first towel to hit the floor, complete waste of time and laundry. If the room attendant is overworked then they can absolutely have the time back that they would have spent balancing my sunglasses on a towel.

Not necessarily true. It may depend on the ship. Last week on the Valor, we had one steward and he had an assigned section. I remember when the stewards worked in teams and we met each person at least once during the cruise. This was not the case on the Valor. We had one steward who cleaned our room the entire week. He was hustling but never complained. There have been staffing cutbacks which are very evident on this ship.

There was one person bussing tables in the Lido for dinner one night. I felt bad for her. Eventually, two other people showed up to help. Very few staff members roaming the deck taking drink orders. It was easier to walk up to the bar which, of course was crowded. The popcorn for the dive in movie used to be dispensed at the towel stand. On the Valor, the bartenders were doing it. They're already busy. So that just created long lines for drinks and popcorn. It bordered on ridiculous that anyone would think you can service almost 3,000 people with such bare minimum staffing.

So although they've been assigned more cabins, that steward isn't working alone. I've tipped a helper.
Edited by saharaga

You are right AND further that by converting it to their own currency, and the workers while they work very very hard, they are indeed paid well for it. Now add to that, that many of them, are on board for 7 months, home for two, so they still live at home, even if they have children.

Add to that they are housed and fed for approx 9 months in a year...

Crew members also get paid airfare back to their country of origin when their contracts are up, and if they stay with Carnival, their airfare back to the US is also paid for. Crew members can also opt to take the cash equivalent instead if they want to stay in the US or make their own travel arrangements.

So, yeah, Carnival takes care of their people pretty well.

[source: Behind the Fun tour, two weeks ago on Conquest, and also from prior BtF tours]

I think they deserve every penny they get, i always, always, leave extra money for every little thing the do be it fill ice, my laundry, anything... and on top of tips per person, they are not doing too bad. .. probably the reason there is a waiting list in the thousands for people to be employed by Carnival... told so first hand by someone in the mix.

Agreed. And even though they're not doing too badly, I always tip them accordingly. While they're on the ship, they work HARD, and they deserve it.

Edited by Pellaz

Some people cruise more than that.. im missing the point... i think i cruised 9 times last year, and going on my 4th 5th and 6th for this year within the next month, have several booked for next year, and yes, Ive stayed in suites, but.. what does that have to do with anything.. i dont want any service at my feet, at all, as i said in my previous post, these people work super hard no doubt about it, but they make good money.

I can tell you cruise all the time..... But to each is own. Understanding the point...... You have people that think they are above others. This will be my 12th cruise but I don't put on a billboard sign!

Yes the crew work hard but you know the JOB you get into before you take it.....

The info you are looking for is available at onboard self help kiosk terminal. Call up your onboard account and DSC breakdown pops right up. Nothing is hidden.

I don't remember seeing this before, but I've always prepaid tips. Since I won't be onboard for awhile, can someone tell me the current breakdown?

When you have some people that cruise 2 or 3 times a years!! They want the service at their feet...... And the high ballers that are in SUITES.....

I have always cruised in a suite. Our first cruise was an anniversary present from my husband's employer. My husband works very hard at his job and the owner notices that. We enjoyed the suite so much that we now save for a suite every time. We are not high ballers and do not expect everything at our feet. I don't think most people do. The ones who do stand out so we remember them more.

Carnival needs to listen to the people that pay their salaries....

Is Carnival trying to take on more than they can handle?

I would agree that you vote with your dollars and if enough people concur companies can change certain policies.

Would you have the same reaction to a land resort or restaurant ? I don't know many people who voice their concerns on how much Applebee's pays their employees when they go out to dinner...

Edited by NYcruzzer

I would agree that you vote with your dollars and if enough people concur companies can change certain policies.

Would you have the same reaction to a land resort or restaurant ? I don't know many people who voice their concerns on how much Applebee's pays their employees when they go out to dinner...

With Applebees we decide how much to tip each time. With autotips we are already giving a baseline tip and if that goes up would like to know more about where it will go.