Birthday Surprise? Not any more!

Rebeccajoe

Our daughter is cruising on the Breakaway 10/30 which is her 40th birthday.

I called NCL and ordered the "Birthday Package", wanting to surprise her when she boards on Sun. (It was charged to MY credit card)

Well, she called me and asked if I was the one who set it up.

I asked how she knew....well, it is showing up on her Vacation Summary.

So much for the surprise!

NOT HAPPY........

Sorry about the surprise, but it's also a good thing that you have the confirmation that the order is correctly recorded, and if your daughter doesn't receive anything on board, she will know that something's wrong and bring it to their attention while there's still time to do something about it.

Our daughter is cruising on the Breakaway 10/30 which is her 40th birthday.

I called NCL and ordered the "Birthday Package", wanting to surprise her when she boards on Sun. (It was charged to MY credit card)

Well, she called me and asked if I was the one who set it up.

I asked how she knew....well, it is showing up on her Vacation Summary.

So much for the surprise!

NOT HAPPY........

Aww, I'm sorry. They should have told you it would appear on her vacation summary!

Carnival allows a gift purchase that doesn't show up on the recipients documents. Don't see why NCL can't manage to be able to do the same thing.

Because then you'd have thousands of NCL people asking "Why doesn't my gift purchase show up in my Vacation Planner?" just like on the Carnival boards and complaining that it doesn't.

The old expression "Darned if you do, darned if you don't" comes to mind.

I ruined a birthday surprise for myself the same way, and my family wasn't happy. They weren't upset with me, or course, as I was just monitoring my reservation. They were upset that NCL listed it in a way that showed up on my confirmation. I agree with mom2tcdx2 - it can't be that hard to implement a way to track it without making it visible to the recipient.

• 11 months later...

Reminds me of the time we cruised with my parents on NCL for their 50th anniversary. I ordered champagne and strawberries for their room. I have the same name as my father, so NCL, instead of looking at the room number for delivery, has them waiting in my room on embarkation. Not much of a surprise when I had to carry them over.

I ruined my own daughters surprise for her 21st birthday. I thought I was being smart and ordered her the vacation package. Then, a few days later I logged in under her to pay the gratuities (which I did for all the kids cabins). And I said "Hey, you are getting a surprise. Must be from the travel agent". DUH!!! I had no clue!

Oh well! My baby turns 21 in 22 days with the UBP! I'm just glad she's not in my cabin! LOL

Can you order this on the ship? I'm currently adding it to our basket but figured it would show and then DH would see. :(

I don't think so. I know my wife tried to wait until the last minute to order mine, and was told that it might not get done because she was so late.

For the record, she had friends buy it for her the next year, and it still showed up on my cruise record.

Wondering why they can't just use a code instead of spelling it out? (Realizing BDAY PKG may not be too subtle.)

Carnival allows a gift purchase that doesn't show up on the recipients documents. Don't see why NCL can't manage to be able to do the same thing.

yes but Carnival does not tell them who it was from even though they say they will....did same thing for my daughters 40th she had no idea who did it!!!