Live from the Quest

flyers

We are live or almost live on board in a Northeaster 40 knot winds and high seas. Cold, windy and rainy from Montreal, Québec City and down the St.Lawrence. Cap aux Meules was ok,Sydney also and a nice sunny day running down the coast of Nova Scotia but Bal Harbor and Salem had to be cancelled due to weather.... now heading to Boston instead tonight and tomorrow Saturday.

Food great on board, one night at the new Grill and food was excellent.Captain Dag his usual entertaining self and Jan CD doing a great job considering the conditions. Impossible to use Observation Lounge due to a few inconsiderate smokers even decks 9 and 10 reeks of smoke. Internet very poor almost unusable due to slow speed so please do not anticipate replies to any questions.TV also very bad few channels and poor reception.

Ship in great shape for those heading south to Antarctica. Older crowd on board a lot of Brits and French Canadians heading south for the winter.

Rocking and rolling too much to continue.

Bunny and George!

Boarding in FLL on Quest? We board in Monte Carlo for Sojourn on Thursday.

Too bad we are missing each other once again. Would have loved to join you for dancing in the Grand Salon or maybe the Club like we used to.

You were too much for us but we have been practicing HAHA.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Also onboard Quest and in agreement with OP.

Very pleased to report that the food is great, some of you may remember our last SB cruise was on the Odyssey last year, food and service overall were not good, and we weren't sure we would return to SB after that.

SB acknowledged that many guest's experience on that cruise wasn't usual SB quality and we decided to give it another try. So happy that we did.

Thoroughly enjoying this cruise. I'd like a ittle more variety and choice in food, ideally, but it's not a big deal. We've dined at the Grill one time so far, food was superb.

Crew top notch. Some of our favourite crew members are going to Encore very soon, I'm sure that they'll make a great contribution to the first Encore cruises.

Went to Obs a couple of nights ago and the smoke was horrible, the worst I've experienced on any SB cruise. we left immediately, roll on 28 Nov (?) !

Sea conditions now much improved over this morning :D

Also onboard Quest and in agreement with OP.

Very pleased to report that the food is great, some of you may remember our last SB cruise was on the Odyssey last year, food and service overall were not good, and we weren't sure we would return to SB after that.

SB acknowledged that many guest's experience on that cruise wasn't usual SB quality and we decided to give it another try. So happy that we did.

Thoroughly enjoying this cruise. I'd like a ittle more variety and choice in food, ideally, but it's not a big deal. We've dined at the Grill one time so far, food was superb.

Crew top notch. Some of our favourite crew members are going to Encore very soon, I'm sure that they'll make a great contribution to the first Encore cruises.

Went to Obs a couple of nights ago and the smoke was horrible, the worst I've experienced on any SB cruise. we left immediately, roll on 28 Nov (?) !

Sea conditions now much improved over this morning :D

Nigella I am so glad you are having a much better cruise this time. I know when we got on the Odyssey cruise just after your cruise, friends on board confirmed there were definitely problems on your cruise. We were lucky in that the Chef that was the problem on your cruise was disembarked in LA before we set sail.

I agree about looking forward to having the Observation Bar & balconies cigarette free after Nov 28. We were lucky to not have encountered a problem in the Observation Bar on our cruises but we did have an issue sometimes with the balcony.

I'm glad to hear the weather has improved today.

Julie :)

I'm aboard soon and a little worried about the smoking - are people smoking inside or just on the outer deck by the OB lounge? I can't remember smoking being an issue our our last SB cruise though it was on a Silversea trip last year; that is so say, just one couple insisted on chain smoking in the outdoor restaurant. These cruise lines need to change their policy.

Hope the weather improves as you head south . . .

Edited by Fletcher

surprised to read smoking is permitted on board as described. we have been told seabourn was a upmarket luxury line? smoking is unpleasant and such a health hazard, surprised its permitted on a luxury ship.

another thing to closely consider when making a decision on our next sea cruise. disappointing.

surprised to read smoking is permitted on board as described. we have been told seabourn was a upmarket luxury line? smoking is unpleasant and such a health hazard, surprised its permitted on a luxury ship.

another thing to closely consider when making a decision on our next sea cruise. disappointing.

Unless you plan on sailing within the next month, don't fret. The policy is changing after that - and none too soon!

Also on board the Quest. An update on champagne, which was a topic on an earlier thread. According to hotel manager Peppi, the new contract with Bollinger did not work out; instead, they'll be switching to Taittinger (even better!). However, when asked if the switch will in fact take place with Encore, he said he couldn't say because it may take a while to deplete the existing Nicolas Feuillatte inventory. (On a side note, apparently he's relatively new to Seabourn as well as the cruise industry and, based on my limited exposure to him, he doesn't seem to have quite the same level of polish, flair, and friendliness to which I'm accustomed with other SB hotel managers. Perhaps he's still riding up on his learning curve...)

Also on board the Quest. An update on champagne, which was a topic on an earlier thread. According to hotel manager Peppi, the new contract with Bollinger did not work out; instead, they'll be switching to Taittinger (even better!). However, when asked if the switch will in fact take place with Encore, he said he couldn't say because it may take a while to deplete the existing Nicolas Feuillatte inventory. (On a side note, apparently he's relatively new to Seabourn as well as the cruise industry and, based on my limited exposure to him, he doesn't seem to have quite the same level of polish, flair, and friendliness to which I'm accustomed with other SB hotel managers. Perhaps he's still riding up on his learning curve...)

Just be glad you don't have to deal with Vitor Alves, the unfriendliest hotman ever to sail the seas.

icould not be much more unhappy. Horrible smoking in Observation Bar. We are on deck nine near the forward and that would be the perfect bar for us to end our evening but unfortunately went in there last night and could hardly breathe. The piano player and singer is wonderful and my husband wanted to dance but I was so upset about the smoke but I could not enjoy myself and we had to leave it also reeks around the elevators on deck 10 and deck nine. So unfortunate to have booked Seaborn right before the smoking policy changed and I had no way out because I would've had to pay a cancellation fee I was not happy with the food I feel like I'm a big complainer but I was not happy with any of the fish that they offered. I am not a big drinker and they are very generous with their alcoholic beverages but my main enjoyment is having a nice dinner I could care less about lunch so I have basically had a small lobster tail for dinner almost every night of the cruise. I suppose I am not a high enough level person because I actually enjoyed in Oceania cruise much much better I find that the breads are very ordinary and are the same every single day. Same with the breadsticks completely tasteless with no flavoring at all I would be happy you're buying something at home from the supermarket at least I could get Parmesan or an herb type breadstick The best thing about the cruise is our suite which we did upgrade to a penthouse on level nine the bathroom is wonderful with three sinks in a whirlpool tub. Our cabin stewardess Liga is beyond wonderful. It was such a disappointment offer to have to be tendered while we watch a Caribbean Princess ship right up at the dock I am very sorry that I put the screws and I will never ever book this type of cruise again the entertainment basically is nonexistent unless you want to hear a jazz pianist lady singer who sings songs from like the 1930s

We are live or almost live on board in a Northeaster 40 knot winds and high seas. Cold, windy and rainy from Montreal, Québec City and down the St.Lawrence. Cap aux Meules was ok,Sydney also and a nice sunny day running down the coast of Nova Scotia but Bal Harbor and Salem had to be cancelled due to weather.... now heading to Boston instead tonight and tomorrow Saturday.

Food great on board, one night at the new Grill and food was excellent.Captain Dag his usual entertaining self and Jan CD doing a great job considering the conditions. Impossible to use Observation Lounge due to a few inconsiderate smokers even decks 9 and 10 reeks of smoke. Internet very poor almost unusable due to slow speed so please do not anticipate replies to any questions.TV also very bad few channels and poor reception.

Ship in great shape for those heading south to Antarctica. Older crowd on board a lot of Brits and French Canadians heading south for the winter.

Rocking and rolling too much to continue.

. We are leaving Boston now. Spoke to my friends on Princess and they had a wonderful day in Bar Harbor

According to hotel manager Peppi, the new contract with Bollinger did not work out; instead, they'll be switching to Taittinger (even better!). However, when asked if the switch will in fact take place with Encore, he said he couldn't say because it may take a while to deplete the existing Nicolas Feuillatte inventory.

A plea to all guests sailing on the Sojourn before March 2017 .

Please drink up the Nic Fizz so we can have some lovely Tattinger. I know you can do it. We're counting on you!

I'm so sorry about your experience! I appreciate your being so honest and your details. I have sailed Seabourn on Sojourn and Odyssey and had a very good experience, but I am no cheerleader and value your comments.

i So unfortunate to have booked Seaborn right before the smoking policy changed and I had no way out because I would've had to pay a cancellation fee

You booked before any changes were announced, so one would think you were OK with the old policy. If you weren't, it doesn't make sense to have booked the cruise.

I find your comments patronizing.Smoking policy was a shock when I founod out! It had not been an issue in any other cruise. I did A river cruise on the Rhine December and Ireland and Scotland in May. Also Oceania Marina the year before. None of them had an indoor smoking venue or on balconies. I was not aware of the smoking policy when I booked but within hours learned it was so liberal. I booked late and it was not refundable and I paid in full. The travel agent assured me it would not be an issue. Luckiky my neighboring balconies are smoke free. Tonight we went to the Observation bAr which was empty and totally smoke free. What a difference. Many people were equally upset as we were. I could write far more issues The coffee in the restaurant is expresso and basically you cannot get plain old brewed coffee. All is made with machines. Room service is the only have way normal coffee. Soups are watery and lukewarm. I am a pescaterian and fish dishes are bland.None of the food is actually hot when served. The lobster I was served in the Grille was undercooked. Sorry you think I should know better. We paid over $12000 for a 14 day cruise. I expect better. I am not a big drinker but I do like a glass of wine before bedtime. They ran out of chardonney by day 5! You can keep paying for the prestige of Seabourn name. I will do what is best for me and hope to help others with my review.

. I suppose I am not a high enough level person because I actually enjoyed in Oceania cruise much much better I find that the breads are very ordinary and are the same every single day. Same with the breadsticks completely tasteless with no flavoring at all I would be happy you're buying something at home from the supermarket at least I could get Parmesan or an herb type breadstick

We spent 20 days on Oceanias Nautica last year and thought Nauticas breadsticks and bread were nothing as compared to the Quest when we sailed on her the year before. Everybody commented how good the fries and breadsticks were

We thought Nauticas Wave Grills food was like a cheap takeway compared to the food at the pool on the Quest

Things must have changed recently on the Quest

Edited by Thecat123

For anyone reading who is boarding Quest this coming Friday, I can confirm that they most certainly have not run out of Chardonnay. There are two different chardonnays currently available, I tried both yesterday.

On the subject of breadsticks, I am finding them different this time to previous cruises. Not sure if less salt is being used. Whatever, I'm no longer horribly addicted to them and my waistline is thanking me for that!

The demograohic on this cruise is probably slightly older overall than usual for us. Our group is aged between middle 40s to early 50s and we are definitely amongst the youngest guests.

All very enjoyable so far, we're currently off the coast of Long Island heading into NYC. Picking up our pilot right now as I type.

Enjoy NYC.

We recently did a short cruise on the Odyssey and agree with you about the breadsticks they are not as addictive as they used to be, I think they are less salty and certainly we didn't have any dips served with them.

I am enjoying reading about your cruise because we have friends onboard and they don't do cruise critic so was wondering how it was going with the weather and sea conditions.

Enjoy NYC.

We recently did a short cruise on the Odyssey and agree with you about the breadsticks they are not as addictive as they used to be, I think they are less salty and certainly we didn't have any dips served with them.

I am enjoying reading about your cruise because we have friends onboard and they don't do cruise critic so was wondering how it was going with the weather and sea conditions.

Hello Prunella, the weather today has been super. Temperatures in the low 70s F and very sunny clear blue skies.

We enjoyed a wonderful sail-in to the city, with Mimosas being offered on decks 6 and 10 forward where many of us enjoyed the view.

Edited by Nigella