Times Are A Changin

mariner

On a Zaamdam repositioning cruise I took the "Behind the Scenes Tour" at a cost of $150. We were told that the proceeds went to the crew welfare fund to pay for things that the crew sports teams. I assume that since our contribution to the crew's welfare fund is one of the reasons why the crew was uniformly welcoming. I was told our payment did not go HAL. Does anyone know different? The tour was a great way to spend two hours on a sea day.

Sounds like a pretty cool way to help the crew out and at the same time get a great tour of the ship!

On a Zaamdam repositioning cruise I took the "Behind the Scenes Tour" at a cost of $150. We were told that the proceeds went to the crew welfare fund to pay for things that the crew sports teams. I assume that since our contribution to the crew's welfare fund is one of the reasons why the crew was uniformly welcoming. I was told our payment did not go HAL. Does anyone know different? The tour was a great way to spend two hours on a sea day.

I heard the same thing too. I'm not sure what ships are still doing it now, but if it is availbable on the Rotterdam I plan on taking it, especially if the funds go to the crew. :)

This surprises me. I thought the Behind the Scenes tour was offered on the Vista/Signature but not on the R&S ships. I'll have to look for it on the Zaandam.

I like the idea of a Crew Welfare fund. It's what is often done on the luxury lines in lieu of tipping.

Roy

Dawns on me, HAL now charges $150 to tour the bridge and behind the scenes. It used to cost nothing.

But if you go, think about a shot of Louis.

Your previously free tour now costs more than a shot of Louis.

I'll take the Louis.

That has happened with other cruise lines also such as Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

Found this from an earlier MAASDAM cruise. Talk about freebies! And it was for being nice.

Outward Bound from San Juan. 78 Degrees. More sun than clouds.

Mariner has much to tell after spending a wonderful morning by the Nav Deck pool and after getting up at 7 to go through immigration. It was Z to A this time and Mariner waited until they were at the E's before heading down. This was a much better strategy than the middle of the alphabet crush.

It took little more than an hour before the ship was cleared.

The captain and his wife stopped by at the table and we chatted in that beautiful sunshine. The captain mentioned it would likely be in the 30s and there could be some snow on the ground when we arrive in Norfolk. Mariner said, ``thanks!''

Of course I tried my usual bribes, but Henk ``You Can't Afford Me'' Draper just smiled.

On to last night's surprise.

Mrs. M was right. At 6 there was a knocked on the door and our steward was there with my freshly polished shoes. ``Some surprise,'' Mariner said.

At 6:01 there was another knock and a chorus of ``Good evening M/M Mariner'' was heard from the other side of the door.

When opened, there stood a food supervisor, two waiters and our wine steward. The waiters had trays, the wine steward had a silver bucket.

In they charged and placed a table cloth on our table. They quickly made napkin fans and started revealing what was beneath the covers.

There was Mariner's usual evening diet of hot and cold hor ds and a bowl of CAVIAR with all the trimmings. The wine steward uncorked a great vintage of champagne.

Mariner has not finished all the caviar. He will stretch it our for the remainder of the cruise, unless a certain captain would like to head south. Then, perhaps, that bowl of caviar might find its way to the other end of Nav Deck.

That was so nice of the HM. Now I feel guilty I didn't give him a swig of Louis.

As if that wasn't enough, this afternoon we headed to the dining room and Andrea, the maitre d, ordered us back to our cabin. ``Why,'' we asked. ``Surprise,'' he said.

At one o'clock there was a knock on the door and a steward entered with a tray of finger sandwiches and pastries, compliments of another HAL captain who is on the other side of the world! It was our own private version of Royal Dutch Tea. Incredible.

The bear (Teddy by day, Bear by night) is beside himself. The concierge met him and proclaimed him cute. He now has a name tag declaring him the unofficial mascot of the MAASDAM. Of course, after hearing about the cavair she asked if she could bearsit.

So, here I sit, stuffed on caviar and pastries. Tanned (or as the captain puts it, ``RRRRed like a lobsteRRRRR) and very relaxed.

There is a dessert extravaganza tonight. Not going.

It's such a great day and the weather is expected to stay the same tomorrow.

There was one glitch. We heard from several pax that the St Kitts train tour got canned after the train derailed. Thankfully, no one was hurt. But they did have to walk a distance in order for buses to pick them up.

Shy saw us this morning and we passed along more regards. He also knew our names, even though he only was told we're M/M Mariner. Incredible.

The dress this evening is informal and it seems like we just boarded MAASDAM. We wish the time aboard would pass as slow as it does at home.

As for bridge tours: Unfortunately, they were canceled after the 9/11 attacks. You used to be able to arrange them through the Front Office.

More tomorrow.

OVERHEARD AT DOLPHIN BAR:

``What's the drink of the day?''

``A Sunsicle.''

``What's in it?''

``Vanilla rum, orange juice and sour mix.''

``How much?''

``$4.95.''

``I sampled so much rum on the pier today and I bought so much if the AARP bus gets stuck on the way home to Maryland, we'll have a party. Yeah, I'll try one.''